I believe my PSP 1000 is about to kick the bucket. :(

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by face235, Apr 18, 2017.

1. face235
    OP

face235 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Up until a few days ago, my PSP 1000 ran perfectly. I was on CFW PRO-C2.

Suddenly, I couldn't see the games that were in my ISO folder, and my PSP went back to showing 'Version 6.60' instead of '6.60 PRO-C2'. Fast Recovery did get me back into CFW Mode, and I re-used CIPL Flasher to re-make it permanent again, but it still reverts back to OFW. But that's not all.

My XMB menu buttons are out of whack! HOME does nothing. Select does what Home does when listening to music. I cannot access the Recovery Menu at all, because of this. Holding R on startup doesn't work, or any other button for that matter.

I attempted to fix the problem by removing the CFW and undoing the CIPL. I also formatted the Memory Stick, and reset to Default Settings, thinking this would help.

I then put a song on my PSP to see if controls were back to normal, but no dice. Still messed up! I then redownloaded and reinstalled CFW, then used CIPL Flasher to make it permanent. But no, it still reverts back to OFW 6.60.

Thankfully, I backed up all my files and stuff, and put them on my computer.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I better off getting a new PSP instead?

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'd say invest in a Go or 3k PSP
    They're dirt cheap these days.

3. m4rc0

m4rc0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2014
    Italy
    how mess things thinking that software can magically fix hardware problems.... haaa psp scene is always the best in those things XD
    BTW i have the solution for you, you need a new home\strat\vol etc flex bar...
    Your psp start always in OFW because home button is stuck....
    Whit less than 5€ you can fix your psp instead buing another one which is inferior.

face235 likes this.
  4. face235
    OP

face235 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Alrighty then! I have placed the order, and will receive it around the 24th. Luckily, I already have a tiny screwdriver for my N3DS, so at least I don't have to buy that. :)

In the meantime, I can still use it to listen to music. So, what causes this to happen? Oh well, more time to research what drew me back to the PSP: Dissidia 012 modding.

I'll be back when my part arrives, and have had time to install it, and let ya'll know how it went.

Thank you, m4rc0, for pointing me in the right direction, because I had no idea the problem was hardware, not software.

5. RivenMain

RivenMain Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    You could replace the mother board? I'm sure that would be better than buying an entire system.

6. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Actually getting a psp 2000, 3000 or even a go would be better than a 1000 series. More ram on top of cfw being better from what I have seen and messed around with and is really cheap.

hobbledehoy899 and RivenMain like this.
  7. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Go is an ugly motherfucker

8. RivenMain

RivenMain Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    Ah, I can see how that would be cheap with having to install a new one and not knowing if anything else may be going bad. Although right now it's just a paper weight I think he should try exploring it. I only know of 3ds's so I don't have any knowledge of the consoles, but I'd say remove the battery or let it die and then recharge it and check the internal connections between the buttons looking for a short circuit. It's an old machine and probably has collected a lot of dust.
    Though it's hard letting a console you love go Though he can always sell it as is to help pay for the new one. :P

9. face235
    OP

face235 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    I am still looking to upgrade to a better PSP, but I still wanna keep the one I have in good working shape. And plus, I have plans for next month, so buying a new anything is out of the question until after my vacation. It's not a total paperweight, I can still freely listen to all 700 of my songs on it. :)

10. m4rc0

m4rc0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2014
    Italy
    better in what?
    More ram? never used by games, and the only useful homebrew that use the extra ram is the atpro or savestate plugin (and this one is dangerous and incompatible with inferno driver and cache feature and lots of plugins). The other HB that use the extra RAM are totaly useless or died (like youtube on psp)...
    The psp from 300x and above are inferior to the FAT and 200x model due to an inferior psx games compatibility (popsloader don't work at all with those models)....
    So in the end people repeat always the same thing withouth thinking and testing...
    Less compatibility with some plugins, no full CFW features (and please, the 6.61 infinity is a "bomb" loader with RAM bugs and "brick feature" :P), some hw problems (300X displays are terrible) etc etc...
    In fact the only superior PSP to the FAT model is the 200x no ta088v3

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

????????

Last edited by m4rc0, Apr 19, 2017
  11. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Last I checked the extra ram increased the speed of the psp giving way better loading times. Coming from someone who had and worked with all 4 versions of the system I say all of that is not true. Games that shouldn't work due to pops incompatibility have gotten to work for me on both my 200x and 300x. The 300x can run many psx titles that otherwise shouldn't, I have tested a multitude plugins on all three systems and unless you're using a lower firmware, it was better to be on a 200x model or above. Than again it's up to the user and what he may use his psp for. Also the 300x, and 200x is way better for fighting games, it's more slim and the button's feel a lot better to press. Although it can easily be damaged from a couple of drops I'd say the getting a system above the first initial model release is way better.

Last edited by BlackWizzard17, Apr 20, 2017
  12. face235
    OP

face235 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Alrighty then! The repair went off without a hitch, and now my PSP is back to its old self again! Now to learn more about Dissidia 012 modding!

BlackWizzard17 and sks316 like this.
  13. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    There were a few emulators that could use the Slim/Go extra ram. I recall the Neo Geo, CPS2 and Snes emulators could use it providing you got the right build.

14. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    I keep my 1000 along with my 2000. Why? IR Shell. There is no IR on 2000 IIRC.