I believe I have a fault touch screen due to cold weather

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ChrisSnow, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ChrisSnow
    OP

Newcomer ChrisSnow Newbie

I unfortunately left my 3DS in my room while I was away at college for most of the winter and fall. I got back and the console was pretty cold, the touch screen took a long time to function but as it started to heat up it began to work again. However, time to time I have an issue where the touch screen will randomly press the bottom left corner of the screen. It's quite annoying especially when I'm playing Zelda since it will randomly open up the ocarina.

I currently have my 3DS charging in a snuggie so it doesn't get cold. But has anyone else had this issue? I don't know what to do, I just bought the console but it's too late to return it.

2. Axl.

Newcomer Axl. Member

Nicaragua
    in the console manual says how to recalibrate the touch screen with a button combination,

Or you can go to system settings and recalibrate the touch screen,

EDIT:The combination is ´L+R+X While holding the power button.¨

3. ChrisSnow
    OP

I've tried to recalibrate and it sometimes works, but it doesn't click the random clicking of the bottom left corner of the screen.
    Plus when I first turn it on when it's really cold, I cannot even press any of the calibration targets.

4. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Then, you sir, need to keep it toasty. o.O

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    This is the first time I heard of this. I've left my 3DS out in my friend's workshop for days and it gets to like -5 here, and I just pick it up the next day, charge it a little and play. You sure nothing else happened to the thing in it's lifetime?

6. ChrisSnow
    OP

I haven't had it in my possession long enough for it to be something else. That's the only thing I can think of for the fault screen. I suppose I could try to take the screen protector off but I don't see how that would have any effect as its on correctly and I don't see anything poking the bottom left corner. Plus it wouldn't make the entire screen unresponsive. It's also the screen protector by Nintendo so I'm sure it wouldn't be that.

I'll keep tinkering around with ideas to see what the issue could be, it's strange no one else has this problem though.

7. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Have you tried rolling up tightly the unit with a towel on snowy/cold days?

8. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    I left my old DSL out in the car over a weekend once where it got down to -10. Once it warmed up enough it was fine. I notice my phone doesn't always respond well in the cold either.

9. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Umm normaly electronic stuff likes it cold better than warm so it should normaly not be because of the cold ....

but this really is a weird problem, maybe some "ice" made it to your tuch screen and broke something (even thaught this would require it to be really really coold and with a damp air)

i would suggest sending it in, doesn't sound like a problem you could just fix by calibrating or whatever cuz there is no option to stop the touchscreen from noticing a touch even thaught there is actually none ...
    or maybe you somehow get there with your finger ? XD like with that freak picture about how to play Monster Hunter without that hardware addon ^^

10. blaziken

Newcomer blaziken Advanced Member

Germany
    you got 1 year to turn it back or to fix (if you got ambassador i would fix it) it for free after you bought it

11. avran89

Member avran89 ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!

United States
    This same thing happened to my old DS lite. I left it in very cold weather and it makes the touch screen flicker. the only solutions are you keep it warm whenever you want to play or send it to Nintendo.

12. ZarCastro_287545

Newcomer ZarCastro_287545 Member

why would u leave ur 3ds ?!