Hardware I am very disappointed. Wii U doesn't detect hard drive

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have an internal HDD from an old laptop, I bought an enclosure for it to use it as an external HDD. My computer detects it, I can read and write. My PS4 detects it too, but says I can't use it (probably because I'm not on 4.5?).

My Wii U doesn't detect anything, but the HDD LED is on when it's connected and it makes a clicking sound, which it doesn't make when it's connected with the PS4 or PC. What's wrong?

It's a Hitachi 320gb HDD and this is the enclosure: http://www.ebay.de/itm/CnMemory-Lee...id=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=122109103323

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried many 2.5 HDD on my Wii U : without Y cable you will not have enough juice :

- HDD not recognized
- HDD will stop spinning and will unmount
- corrupt data in some rare cases

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is sometimes also related to how the drive is actually presented via USB.
I had a SATA to USB dock where the drive was behaving like an internal drive and this didn't work with my Wii U and PS3.
Then I had an adapter where it was presented like a mass storage device and there it worked fine.
Both had an external power supply, so there's that.

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay what the fuck is happening here? :(

I've bough a y cable and my Wii U detects it now, I also formatted it. But when I try to install a game, this happens every time:

I've tried 2 different SD cards. Someone please help me, I'm crying. :( I'm poor and wasted so much money :( I just wanted to play some games.

Edit: Could it be that it's still not getting enough power? I think the HDD need 700 mA.

Last edited by MisterPantsEyes,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And HDD clicking means hardware damage, try it on a PC and check the SMART status there
It might be damaged. he did saw it worked on pc. Id read the smart data see if its been reallocating sectors.
Not enough power will cause a clicking sound similar to head crash. some will beep when not enough power.
also the wii u does not like some cases. all the ones i have tried worked tho.. what case did you get?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poeple always state this, and i had 2 USB HDD connectedt to my Wii U without issues.

Both Seagates Slim 2TB external.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This one to be exact :
81R8OM9pGLL._SL1500_.jpg

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure that it would work with a USB-Y cable? Then I'd buy this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/USB-3-0-Micr...690180?hash=item4862c47f84:g:REgAAOSwDN1UR-9m
Stop buying computer parts from ebay before you fuck up everything.
In retail store such cable costs approx. 8€-10€. And yes its been said a gazillion times that it needs and works with Y cable.

Miserly always pays twice mate...

I will take a wild guess and assume that you bought those SDs off Ebay too?

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Stop buying computer parts from ebay before you fuck up everything.
In retail store such cable costs approx. 8€-10€. And yes its been said a gazillion times that it needs and works with Y cable.

Miserly always pays twice mate...

I will take a wild guess and assume that you bought those SDs off Ebay too?
The cables are fine, and no, my SDs are not from ebay. I tried a SanDisk and a Lexar SD.

I bet you're not even from Japan.

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you copy anything from nand to USB in settings? I had some trouble installing games directly to newly formatted HDD with Wupinstaller while nothing was on the HDD. I installed a game to nand first with Wupinstaller, Then copied it to the HDD within settings, Tried Wupinstaller on the HDD again & it would install games just fine.

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you copy anything from nand to USB in settings? I had some trouble installing games directly to newly formatted HDD with Wupinstaller while nothing was on the HDD. I installed a game to nand first with Wupinstaller, Then copied it to the HDD within settings, Tried Wupinstaller on the HDD again & it would install games just fine.
I tried to move Super Mario World, that worked, but it's a small game. Tried the same with Terraria and it gave me an error while moving. 150-3032

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to move Super Mario World, that worked, but it's a small game. Tried the same with Terraria and it gave me an error while moving. 150-3032
Im really not sure then... Have you tried connecting the HDD to the back of the console? Thats how I have mine setup. The main data cable (Thickest cable) to the top USB port & the other power cable to the one underneath.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol