I am very disappointed. Wii U doesn't detect hard drive

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MisterPantsEyes, Feb 9, 2017.

1. MisterPantsEyes
    OP

MisterPantsEyes GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2015
    Laos
    I have an internal HDD from an old laptop, I bought an enclosure for it to use it as an external HDD. My computer detects it, I can read and write. My PS4 detects it too, but says I can't use it (probably because I'm not on 4.5?).

My Wii U doesn't detect anything, but the HDD LED is on when it's connected and it makes a clicking sound, which it doesn't make when it's connected with the PS4 or PC. What's wrong?

It's a Hitachi 320gb HDD and this is the enclosure: http://www.ebay.de/itm/CnMemory-Lee...id=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=122109103323

2. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    The wii u USB ports are not powerful enough for hard drives, you either need a Y cable or a external powered HDD

MisterPantsEyes likes this.
  3. MisterPantsEyes
    OP

Jan 10, 2015
    Laos
  4. Kameryn

Kameryn Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2007
    Canada
    Had the same issue.

Like PabloMK7 says a Y cable is needed if the drive isn't externally powered.

I ended up using this: USB 2.0 Microusb Y connector and it worked like a charm (WiiU detected and formatted the drive right away); people even commented on amazon that they got it for their Wii U lol. or USB 3.0 Micro usb Y connector depending on what you have.

5. CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2015
    France
    I tried many 2.5 HDD on my Wii U : without Y cable you will not have enough juice :

- HDD not recognized
    - HDD will stop spinning and will unmount
    - corrupt data in some rare cases

6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    rule of thumb with the wii u is to use a y cable if unpowered. u could kill the drive otherwise.

7. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Getting a Y-Cable is almost always the key for hard drives not being read by the Wii U.

8. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    I think it is sometimes also related to how the drive is actually presented via USB.
    I had a SATA to USB dock where the drive was behaving like an internal drive and this didn't work with my Wii U and PS3.
    Then I had an adapter where it was presented like a mass storage device and there it worked fine.
    Both had an external power supply, so there's that.

9. MisterPantsEyes
    OP

Jan 10, 2015
    Laos
    Okay what the fuck is happening here? :(

I've bough a y cable and my Wii U detects it now, I also formatted it. But when I try to install a game, this happens every time:

I've tried 2 different SD cards. Someone please help me, I'm crying. :( I'm poor and wasted so much money :( I just wanted to play some games.

Edit: Could it be that it's still not getting enough power? I think the HDD need 700 mA.

Last edited by MisterPantsEyes, Feb 11, 2017
  10. nitrostemp

nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    try a usb charger like a iphone charger..

11. MisterPantsEyes
    OP

Jan 10, 2015
    Laos
    Tried it, the Wii U doesn't detect it at all and the HDD makes clicking sounds again, like it did without the Y cable.

12. Alanoide97

Alanoide97 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2016
    Mexico
    México
    And HDD clicking means hardware damage, try it on a PC and check the SMART status there

13. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    It might be damaged. he did saw it worked on pc. Id read the smart data see if its been reallocating sectors.
    Not enough power will cause a clicking sound similar to head crash. some will beep when not enough power.
    also the wii u does not like some cases. all the ones i have tried worked tho.. what case did you get?

14. MisterPantsEyes
    OP

Jan 10, 2015
    Laos
  15. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Poeple always state this, and i had 2 USB HDD connectedt to my Wii U without issues.

Both Seagates Slim 2TB external.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This one to be exact :
    [​IMG]

16. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Stop buying computer parts from ebay before you fuck up everything.
    In retail store such cable costs approx. 8€-10€. And yes its been said a gazillion times that it needs and works with Y cable.

Miserly always pays twice mate...

I will take a wild guess and assume that you bought those SDs off Ebay too?

Last edited by fatsquirrel, Feb 14, 2017
  17. MisterPantsEyes
    OP

Jan 10, 2015
    Laos
    The cables are fine, and no, my SDs are not from ebay. I tried a SanDisk and a Lexar SD.

I bet you're not even from Japan.

18. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    Can you copy anything from nand to USB in settings? I had some trouble installing games directly to newly formatted HDD with Wupinstaller while nothing was on the HDD. I installed a game to nand first with Wupinstaller, Then copied it to the HDD within settings, Tried Wupinstaller on the HDD again & it would install games just fine.

19. MisterPantsEyes
    OP

Jan 10, 2015
    Laos
    I tried to move Super Mario World, that worked, but it's a small game. Tried the same with Terraria and it gave me an error while moving. 150-3032

20. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    Im really not sure then... Have you tried connecting the HDD to the back of the console? Thats how I have mine setup. The main data cable (Thickest cable) to the top USB port & the other power cable to the one underneath.

Last edited by BIFFTAZ, Feb 15, 2017