I am so getting a pet fox

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why on earth do I want a pet fox when I could easily get a cat or a dog? Let's start off with the scientific basis behind the psychology of animal-human relationships. To my understanding, when a human comes in contact with an animal, the brain releases a series of positive chemicals, these include, but aren't limited to oxytocin, the hormone responsible for bonding. Next we have endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, and serotonin, which is a natural anti-depressant. In addition, studies have shown a reduction in blood pressure and normalization of heart rates, thus reaffirming that animals do indeed help people feel a sense of peace and euphoria. In summary, animals are beneficial to our mental well-beings and can also help us live longer.

I've always had a fondness of the Canidae family ever since I was young, their behavior, their personalities, and their adorable appearance always held a special place in my mind and heart. Their intelligence also fascinates me, how they recognize commands, tones in our voices and be at our side whenever we have a bad day. They almost act as though they can read our minds and know how to snap us out of our bouts of sadness or anger, they're there for us. The love canids show for us is incontrovertibly profound. This leads ms to my favorite animal, the red fox, a creature very unique and far-too-often misunderstood. My love for foxes actually began a couple of years ago when I first heard of people domesticating them in Russia/Siberia and so, I typed it in and the first video of a pet fox was Ron Ron, of I'm sure many know that name, and his caring owner, Eric. I couldn't believe that foxes could be so domesticated, so affectionate and so bloody adorable.

The noises he made, his facial expressions, and the way he just bounces off the walls; I loved foxes even more after that, and I kept watching countless videos about them.

Perhaps the most difficult part of it all, money, location and hands-on experience. Right now I'm interning at a sanctuary as a volunteer and in that time, I've been able to work with exotics, especially Skitter the fox, and has allowed me to do something many people rarely get a chance to do. It's been a real wonderful experience. After some deep pondering, I have decided that getting a fox is something I truly desire despite knowing of the hardships and potential risks of doing so. There are many things that can go wrong while raising a fox kit, things can go from bad to worse, but that is no reason for me to be fearful and refuse to take a chance like that, Finding a place to live, a town where laws are more lax, preventing people from finding out and reporting it, the costs, the enclosure, etc are all things I take into consideration and all will be difficult to plan. I did, however, wish to express my gratitude for the overwhelmingly wonderful amount of support I have received thus far in making this decision. It will not be easy, but it will be worth it

What say you, members of the Temp, about the prospect of owning such a fluffy animal?
946930_10151669546149743_975895175_n_zps3c6e53eb.jpg

Just look at her, imagine, having a pet as cute as Skitter! Again, it will be a long time, but this is definitely a goal I'll be continuously working towards.

Disclaimer: The whole foxes-not-being-a-good-pet argument? Here's my take on it, capturing a fox from the wild, bad idea. Buying a Russian fox or one from a breeder in the US, better.

Disclaimer 2: Foxes are not illegal in Utah.

Disclaimer 3: Foxes, while still retaining some instincts, rarely pose a threat to humans especially when raised in captivity.

Disclaimer 4: There are no documented cases of foxes ever killing humans. If they have rabies, yes, but so can dogs. Their petite build cannot overpower a human.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear Vulpes Abnocto is looking for a new owner :creep:

Foxes are incredibly cute, though.

He is, I want a fox now!! But seriously, they are irresistibly adorable animals. The fact I work at a sanctuary, and the fact people tell me they can see the fox owner inside of me, makes me want to have one even more!

No he's mine! :angry:

On topic; I've always wanted a pet fox! They are like cats and dogs fused into one awesomely adorable pet!

I know right? I have to do a lot of work, and it will be hell saving up money, getting a new job, etc, but it's worth it to me, to be able to bond with such an adorable animal :wub: In fact, I'll be making a video of Skitter in a couple of days.

Plus, I wanted to make a happy, positive thread because I've been going through one helluva hard time lately, but I've been thinking about about getting one and my friends and family all say they can see me doing something like this:P

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
He is, I want a fox now!! But seriously, they are irresistibly adorable animals. The fact I work at a sanctuary, and the fact people tell me they can see the fox owner inside of me, makes me want to have one even more!

I know right? I have to do a lot of work, and it will be hell saving up money, getting a new job, etc, but it's worth it to me, to be able to bond with such an adorable animal :wub:

I mean look how fucking cute they are!

That's cutter than a puppy and a kitten sleeping in the same slipper!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll probably be the only one to say it, but foxes aren't pets, they're not domesticated and getting one isn't a sensible idea. Not only will it always be a wild animal (you can't train it) but it's probably cruel to try to domesticate it.

But whatever, that's just reality getting in the way.

Cue reams of documentation to prove i'm wrong....

Reactions: gamefan5

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably be the only one to say it, but foxes aren't pets, they're not domesticated and getting one isn't a sensible idea. Not only will it always be a wild animal (you can't train it) but it's probably cruel to try to domesticate it.

Plus I'm pretty sure you have to get a permit.

Reactions: Redhorse

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you have to chop their arse off or something to stop them stinking the place out?

Not really, but neutering helps a bit.

And I appreciate your feedback, but I respectfully disagree that foxes are unfit for a pet. Russia has domesticated through generations of selective breeding, but are very expensive. Now, if you catch one from the wild, yes, that would be an egregious mistake. Buying one from a breeder on the other hands, not so much.

http://www.domesticfox.com/

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCRJOXwOzZ4fc

Plus I'm pretty sure you have to get a permit.

Usually, you do. Again, I am doing everything I possibly can to weigh the pros and cons of having one. Yes, they're not the most ideal pet and people have a misconstrued view because they are primarily found as being wild, but if captive-born from a breeder, they lose their aggression.

I don't want to get into an argument on why it's moral/immoral to have a fox because I can tell you it's not. I have worked with tame foxes for quite a while and never once have I had any issues. I feel it is better for the fox to be loved and cared for than to be subjected to fleas, rabies, mange and toxoplasmosis. Foxes in captivity live to 15 or so years old as opposed to three to four.

Maybe I'm just weird and stupid for being so passionate for animals, I don't know. But I feel that all deserve our love and respect and shouldn't have to suffer unnecessarily.

Here's my take on it, dogs can be unfit for pets if they've never been socialized, abused or ignored, and they can be deadly around people; I've seen my share of dogs who had bad homes. The same could be said of foxes; it all depends on how they're raised. It is crucial to spend as much time talking to them, playing with them, holding them, much like you would a dog or cat. It all boils down to common sense.

People will always disagree and vow that foxes are unfit for pet material and I can respect that, and I too give my reasons why I'm convinced they can, but under very certain circumstances and only a very small specific number of people are qualified to have one.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia has domesticated through generations of selective breeding.

http://www.domesticfox.com/

Beyond that site how much documentation and research has gone into domesticating them? If it was me considering it, i'm not sure i'd really want to put my faith into something that was one company vs. everything else. Because if it all goes pear shaped it could go badly wrong.

50 years of domestication doesn't seem enough for creatures with their lifespans.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beyond that site how much documentation and research has gone into domesticating them? If it was me considering it, i'm not sure i'd really want to put my faith into something that was one company vs. everything else. Because if it all goes pear shaped it could go badly wrong.

50 years of domestication doesn't seem enough for creatures with their lifespans.

A lot has gone into it, they have developed dog like attributes and have become dependent on human attention.
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2011/11/21/the-silver-fox-experiment-dog-domestication/
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...tten-russian-experiment-in-fox-domestication/
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/taming-wild-animals/ratliff-text/2
http://www.truelaurels.com/tag/russian-silver-fox-experiment/

I've been around people who have pet foxes long enough to know for a fact that under the right conditions, they can be pet material, provided they were never taken from the wild. Again, I am voicing my opinion and why I wish to have a pet fox, I am taking every precaution possible and am aware of the risks of doing so. Unfortunately, many see foxes as being pests in many places throughout the world, but I myself don't seem that that way and seem them as man's new best friend. I really don't want to get into a discussion as to why foxes are unfit for pet material. I've been working around tamed foxes, watching them on YouTube, and speaking to various people on Facebook and other chat rooms on the prospects of having a pet fox.

I bet that my saying this won't make you change your mind, because I don't want to force anyone, but I did want to voice my feelings on the matter. I'm not upset at anyone, just the whole public misconstrued view, nothing more. B-) I have my reasons as you have yours, and I don't hate anyone for thinking that.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is such a cute fox: I wouldn't mind having one. But my old cat probably wouldn't like it. And does anyone remember the movie "The Fox and the Hound?" Foxes can be great pets, especially if you get them when they're young; then they get to grow up with you. :D

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are not fully domesticated, and are natural predators.

So... yeah. Wouldn't get one if you enjoy leaving doors open or have other small pets/children.

EDIT: Also, they cost thousands of dollars.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is such a cute fox: I wouldn't mind having one. But my old cat probably wouldn't like it. And does anyone remember the movie "The Fox and the Hound?" Foxes can be great pets, especially if you get them when they're young; then they get to grow up with you. :D

Exactly, especially captive-born foxes, if you bond with them at a young age, then can be excellent pets, and I've seen too much proof of this happening, as I've connections with many fox owners as well as doing copious amounts of research and learning the risks of owning one. People will argue that fox can kill people, there is no documented proof and they are far too small to inflict lethal damage.

Typical arguments I see:

Foxes bite! So do dogs.
Foxes get rabies! So do dogs
Foxes kill! They're too small.

They are not fully domesticated, and are natural predators.

So... yeah. Wouldn't get one if you enjoy leaving doors open or have other small pets/children.

*Sigh* People don't keep foxes indoors, it would be too cruel for them, they need a large open space outside. Fox owners are smart enough to not let them around children, either. They aren't fully domesticated, but that doesn't mean people can't have them as pets. I created this thread expressing why I want a pet fox and I am doing as much research as possible. I have seen many people with pet foxes and even work with one at a sanctuary as part of my internship. They are not dangerous if socialized around people.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not in the state of Indiana.
You can pretty much own anything as a pet in this state.

Where I live the laws are as tricky as hell, but they're legal, just need to live in city that allows them to be kept as pets.

I think foxes are the amalgamation of every good trait in every animal, rolled into one species. SO adorable. Such a cute pet. I wish you luck in adopting a fluffy friend~

I know, right? Like a cat-dog mix into one, so if you're a cat lover or dog lover, you get the best of both worlds. And the noises they make, SO CUTE!! Like this tamed fox here:wub:

Reactions: Chary

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Sigh* People don't keep foxes indoors, it would be too cruel for them, they need a large open space outside. Fox owners are smart enough to not let them around children, either. They aren't fully domesticated, but that doesn't mean people can't have them as pets. I created this thread expressing why I want a pet fox and I am doing as much research as possible. I have seen many people with pet foxes and even work with one at a sanctuary as part of my internship. They are not dangerous if socialized around people.

That's why they let all the kids cuddle the cute little foxes when you take them around, right?

You can do as you please (you are American, according to the little icon next to your avatar), but it seems... misguided... to get an animal for a pet that is not fully domesticated, costs thousands of dollars (not to mention the specialized care it would need), and would freak most people out. Especially when you have perfectly good pets at your local animal shelter that, in most cases, will be killed unless someone adopts them.

You would make many more cute fluffy animals happy if you instead just adopted a cute little kitty or puppy from you local shelter and donate the money you would have otherwise spent on a fox.

Just my 2 cents.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Um, no, there is not a mammal in the world that couldn't be domesticated over time. The argumentspresented here are no different if you replaced foxs with dogs.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued