I am not making the same mistake I made with the Wii U.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zero72463, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Zero72463
    OP

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    When I get the NX I am making sure I don't update it. I only posted this so that you guys could follow the same steps. Sometimes if you get a new console you get sooooo excited you don't realize you updated it and now you can't hack. Make sure you keep that in mind when you buy it. :yay:

2. 'Don

'Don Man in a Box

Dec 31, 2015
    Jamaica
    Hemshof
    Haha yeah I will never ever update my Nintendo consoles again, Ive suffered enough! :D

3. Zero72463
    OP

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    I wanted SteamOS on my PS4. My stupid ass updated the console out of excitement. :(

CuriousTommy, I pwned U! and 'Don like this.
  4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    What if it updates in when not in use :ph34r:

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  5. 'Don

'Don Man in a Box

Dec 31, 2015
    Jamaica
    Hemshof
    I know how you feel man... :(:(

6. Zero72463
    OP

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Hopefully we can use the console without internet. Although if we can buy the console on release date the chance of a update to patch hacks is slim. I am just telling this too people who are gonna buy this maybe a month or two after release.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Guys its Nintendo known for the biggest console screw ups after 2006. Especially patching exploits. The only respect I have for Nintendo consoles is that I don't ruin the online community by hacking. Same with Sony.

'Don likes this.
  7. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    3ds version I-think-it-was-3 patched something that we didn't even know about at the time :creep:

8. Zero72463
    OP

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Still if we buy on release date we have the best chance for hacking.

9. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    Keep in mind that some updates actually introduce hacks.
    Like on a 1.0 3ds you can't do shit because there's no internet browser.

10. Zero72463
    OP

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    If we need to update then we will. I am not taking the risk and I am informing other people about the same thing.

Seriel likes this.
  11. Seriel

Aug 18, 2015
    What if a hack is introduced on a higher version, but the latest is patched and your only update choice is latest ;)
    In all seriousness, not updating is the best choice but either way there is a chance for it to backfire.

'Don likes this.
  12. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Not updating means you won't be able to play the latest games after just a couple months. Most hacks, when released, are for the latest system version, especially the very first hacks. So I'd say it's pretty safe to update until you first read about an upcoming hack from reliable sources.

13. callmebob

callmebob The Grandpa of Awe!

Jan 24, 2007
    Germany
    Bitburger Brewery (a lot)
    Or just wait to buy until a verified hack is released. Then don´t update until it´s confirmed it´s okay to do so. Duh.

14. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Here's hoping they handle it like cartridge updates, or sony that let's you do offline updates.
    Internet in my country is ass, i heavily dislike the idea of having to rely on my sloooooooow internet just to enjoy my hobby. B|

15. New_Newbie

New_Newbie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2015
    United States
    Tubehax DNS! Maybe they'll pull something like "By checking this agreement, you give Nintendo permission to update your console when a new stability update is released for maximum performance and security."

16. tarumbo83

tarumbo83 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 20, 2016
    United States
    Why do you want to know?
    I'm updating my Switch, let's be honest it's going to take so long for an exploit to come around that the burden caused by not updating won't be worth it.

17. alpha_noj

alpha_noj GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Pretty much this. After the recent blow-out that is the 3DS (I say recent, but I mean anything A9LH and Freeshop/titlekey stuff) I don't see them leaving much of an opening. Heck, even the Wii U isn't fully hacked yet (have to re-install every boot). I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'm going to enjoy my system as much as possible. Heck, with it using cartridges we may be lucky enough to get an R4 type deal at some point.

'Don and Tomato Hentai like this.
  18. SonicCloud

SonicCloud 19/09/1985 - 19/09/2017...

Mar 29, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere
    >inb4 we get nintendo switch kernel exploits til 5 years later

But yeah ; I hope for the time i buy the Switch no kernel exploit is announced

19. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    might be a long time to not update, and willing to bet there be force update on the game carts.
    I remember most systems and it seems like there normally 4 or 5 updates before someone talks about the system being hackable.
    Most people while play there new games so they update.

But we will see how this goes and how while nintendo online will do. They really been lacking in that for ever.

20. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    if you never update it than you won't be playing any actual games on it for a long time because like the wiiu the games are going to make you update. and look how long it too the wiiu to finally get a usb loader far too late it was :P