I am new to DS Homebrewing, I don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by UKTone, Aug 8, 2009.

1. UKTone
    OP

Member UKTone GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I only know how to for the Nintendo Wii, please help me understand ds homebrewing.

I looked at the stickies, but I can't tell what I need as for equipment, programs/apps, and whatever else I need for/on the ds or on my pc.

Is homebrewing on ds anything like on the wii?

Also what will i need for a ds/ds lite/dsi to homebrew?

2. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    There's no homebrew channel. It would be pretty easy to figure this out yourself, if you just spent more than about 10 seconds looking. Basically, what you need is a flashcart. It allows you to run unsigned code on the DS. Homebrew on the DS is nothing like homebrew on the Wii...and there's quite a bit more out there you can play around with. Just research it a bit yourself, it's not too hard to come across info...

3. UKTone
    OP

United States
  4. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    I don't know what you mean by, "use a flash cart for gba part of ds." You mean a GBA flashcart?

The difference between R4 and R4i is that R4 was the original and R4i is a clone. I don't recommend you get the R4i, as my brother owned one previously and has a lot of problems.

You need a SDHC to use these carts. These carts would have a small slot at the back where you can stick the SDHC.

5. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I'd strongly recommend an Acekard 2, which you can find here. DX can take quite awhile to ship, but they're about as cheap as you can get. You should also go to the acekard forum and check out AKAIO, which is a firmware replacement for the official one.

As far as GBA carts go, I'd recommend you go with this one. There's also a white version too, if you have a white DS...but these are for the DS Lite only, and it's pretty hard to find one for the original DS.

6. toymin80r

Member toymin80r GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, i would recommend Acekard 2i as well (remember, it's Acekard 2i, not the normal Acekard 2 or 2.1). But i am also biased since i do not own the other flash cards... so, uh-uh

7. UKTone
    OP

United States
    If I get the Acekard 2i would it do me any good to get EZFlash 3-in-1 Memory Expansion Pack or any other flash card for gba? By which I mean is there any difference between what they can do?

Would the flash card work for gba sp/advance?

8. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    The EZ-Flash 3-in-1 doesn't work the same as the Acekard 2i. It just adds functionality.
    Acekard2i plays DS games.
    EZFlash 3-in-1 lets the Acekard2i (well any DS-slot flashcard) play GBA games.

Only the original DS model of the 3-in-1 works on the GBA, the lite model doesn't fit, as it's a different shape/size.
    If you plan on buying the DSi, then don't bother getting the 3-in-1.

9. WiiThoko

Member WiiThoko GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would recommend buying from realhotstuff.com
    They don't have the Acekard2 in stock right now, but they have good customer service and really fast shipping. (they start shipping as soon as an hour after you order)