I am lost and really need help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by FreshSoul, Jul 4, 2008.

Jul 4, 2008
  1. FreshSoul

Member FreshSoul GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2008
    United States
    Hey guys,

I've had my wii for well over a year now now and I've decided to finally mod it. I've tried looking through the forums for solutions but I just get confused even more. I mean... I hear wasabi, and wii-cllip, wii-key.. and versions of your wii?

I honestly have no clue what to do.. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with my situation. I don't know that much about soldering, but I guess I can learn or have someone do it for me. I just want something that I can install relatively easy and is really reliable. I've heard some news about wiibricks lately... should I be worried?

Can you play online when your wii is modded? Also, can you play store bought games? Could you guys help point me in the right direction please?

Thanks so much for helping.
  2. Kiljaeden

Member Kiljaeden GBAtemp Regular

Sep 26, 2006
    Firstly, you'll need to identify the drive chip that you have. Unfortunately, I can't provide you with the website which allows this, but maybe someone else will. You basically, enter your serial number on the Wii and it tells you the probability of what drive chip you have.

Once you have this information, then you can decide on a modchip.
    If you have DMS, D2A, D2B, you can go with the popular Wiikey, Cyclowiz, Yaosm, Wiinja, etc.
    If you have a D2C, then you'll have to go with the newer modchips eg. D2CPro, Wasabi, D2CKey, Argon, etc.

When you've decided upon that, you can either solder it yourself, or if you aren't that confident with your soldering ability, get a Wii-Clip, which just clips onto the drive chip.

You can still play your wii online, once it is modded and you can still play store bought games on a modded wii.

First, find out your drive chip, either using the online website (provided someone posts it here) or opening your wii.

I'd probably suggest using a Wiikey/Yaosm if you have a DMS, D2A or D2B chip or Wasabi/D2CPro is you have a D2C chip.
  3. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 22, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Site where you can check your drive: THERE