I am in need of a pro bono lawyer in the u.s.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jimmyleen, Mar 2, 2017.

1. jimmyleen
    OP

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    I am having a problem with a online retail giant, the retail giant is not accepting my debit card even though its in good standing. I have contacted my bank about the card to see if something is wrong with it and I was told everything is good, no one has access to my debit card or bank account besides me. The retail giant allows customers or members to have multiple accounts with the same billing address and card number. I have created multiple accounts all with the same billing information but each account has a different email associated with them. Ever since February 19 2017 the retail giant locks accounts associated with my debit card, and all I can do is call customer support and hope a billing associate can fix my problem. But even than my card is still being rejected by the retailer. I need to get in touch with a pro bono lawyer because this has been going on for two weeks going on three, I want this stupid shit to end as of yesterday.

Edit: I don't make enough money to afford a lawyer

Last edited by jimmyleen, Mar 2, 2017
  2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Just look somwhere else for the same item? They're blocking you because they see it as suspicious activity that multiple accounts are using the same billing info. same thing happened to me with online purchases from walmart

3. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    That seems way overboard. Why not simply get a new card? Or buy from somewhere else?

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Do any of the locked accounts have any funds associated with them? Most courts are not inclined to move unless such things are involved, or if they are the sole retailer of something vital you might have an option. If there are funds in their accounts you may seek to refund them before initiating legal action. Equally if they did not refuse service based on gender, race, sexuality... but instead on some nebulous concept of security (they technically don't even need that to refuse service but it does not hurt) then it is their loss in trade to bear in many cases.

A lawyer may be able to assist in this matter but it is a rather drastic course, if you want to get an opinion of a lawyer for less you might try contacting the district or state's attorney but they will usually only go anywhere in cases of wrongdoing. I don't know if the US has an equivalent of Citizen's Advice but they might be able to offer something.

If you should speak to one make sure you have any email correspondence between yourself and them, and your bank if you have it.

Depending upon what state you are in you may have access to a small claims court. Here is Microsoft losing in one a little while back https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/27/woman_microsoft_windows_10_upgrades/

In my very much not a lawyer but a fan of US consumer and tech law capacity I don't see much recourse for a case here, mainly by virtue of you not having yet demonstrated damages, but I do hope you get it resolved. Frankly you may be better off seeking a new card, or perhaps a secondary/time limited/one time online number if your bank allows that (they often do make available such things as a fraud protection measure).

5. lordkaos

lordkaos GBAtemp Fan

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    why don't you request another card?

6. PoppaDre

PoppaDre GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Canada
    yeah you sound sketchy and/or overreacting to something you can work around

IMHO

7. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    You do not even need a new debit card as you can just buy a giftcard or a prepaid card.

8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    You can't force a retailer to accept your card. No lawyer is going to change that and certainly no-one is going to try for free.
    And lawyers generally only do pro-bono work for serious social injustices or a favor for friends and family. This is you having difficulty trying to get an expensive toy. Not a priority to say the least.

9. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Roasted

PoppaDre likes this.
  10. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    This.

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Oh look an American trying to sue something...i'm so surprised.
    Is everyone else surprised.

I sure am.

take your mcdonalds wages elsewhere because if you try and sue them they'll just clean your ass out, and your bank account, and your tear ducts.

12. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    You are literally basically every American stereotype ever. Good job.

13. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Did either of you two bother to look at his flag?

el_gonz87 likes this.
  14. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Doesn't matter lol
    He still sounds like one. I know he isn't American.

15. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I fail to see what's wrong with this. What exactly is your point other than "HAW HAW, LOOK AT THIS GUY DOING THE SAME THING PEOPLE IN MY COUNTRY DO"?

16. jimmyleen
    OP

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    And this thread needs to be closed.