I am going to cancel my cable TV

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could just download a ton of shows, or even watch hulu or something else like that. I want something easy that I don't have to fuss with too much. Anyone got any ideas?

My cable company is now charging me $70 just for TV. I was "on special" for the past year, now they are jacking my rate. Obviously with just one month without paying, I could get a 1TB and load it with movies and shows, but I don't know if I can handle not having TV. Of course I would still get free network TV.

I'm scared but I don't want to pay $70 bucks for cable. I've never been without cable, its a stupid fear I know.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Get Netflix, all the DVDs (not just movies, TV shows and music too) you want and streaming of a ton of different stuff online too for $8.99.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
good suggestions, thanks anyone else ever do this?

Well my landlord spends my rent on cable, so I technically do have it, but I never use it anymore. I just get my TV fix from hulu

Speculant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming your internet speed is more than 1mb, streaming Netflix for all the movies you would ever want and most TV shows, online websites for all other TV shows (Southpark Studios, ABC, Cartoon Network, etc), and digital antenna on your actual TV for all the local stuff like news and to some extent live sports. If you live in a large enough city, there are quite a few free over the air HD channels.

Don't really have to pirate anything, and it's all free, except for Netflix and internet costs, which would be way less than the $70 a month you are paying for TV now.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main TV shows are now on Hulu, but you can also use Netflix for movies... or pirate.

70 bucks a month should get you WAY more than cable, so... if you REALLY want it, switch to something else entirely, like Dish. Just saying, because they have their downsides too.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i was in the same situation as you, i had sky for like 2 or so years, but the prices went up and i couldn't afford it anymore so i canceled it, it was the best thing i ever done, sky only show repeats of the same stuff over and over, it's no fun paying for repeats is it? the amount of money you have saved you can get a divx player hdmi upscaler and then watch what you want to watch, simple really, if you want to watch live tv just go on a on demand website and watch it from there, sorted!

trust me, once you get used to having no cable, you would be wondering why you wasted so much money in the first place.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
h0ser81 said:
Here's another vote for Netflix. Best 9 bucks a month I've ever spent. Works great streaming to the Wii too.
I agree but I just wish it had a search option on the Wii so I don't have to go back and forth between the Internet Channel to add something to Instant Queue & the Netflix disc.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Astraweb costs me 11 bucks a month.

Combine with a good newsindexer, and presto you have every friggin download on the internet, TV shows included.

Even if you don't get Astraweb on sale (I got in on a great rate) the usual rate is still only 20 bucks.

20 bucks trumps 70 bucks.

But you miss out on the shit TV though, oh bummer.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was on Astraweb's one year for $96 plan but it just recently expired. They no longer have this deal but usenetserver.com has a similar/exact plan. I never thought of the streaming Netflix things, which seems like a great idea as I have a PS3 and 360. Splitting the bill between 6 people also makes Netflix an option since my housemates and I decided not to get cable this year.

meornot0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get an hdtv antenna.
Problem solved!
lecture.gif

D

Deleted_171835

meornot0 said:
Get an hdtv antenna.
Problem solved!
lecture.gif
You speak the truth but you made a few mistakes.
An OTA antenna can accept high definition signals regardless of the name. The Terk HDTV is a misnomer since you don't need that antenna for HD channels. It depends on where you live but you should get a good amount of channels. The best thing about it is the high-definition television is uncompressed so it'll look better than it does on cable.

If you want to, you could make your own antenna with a coat-hanger!
http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

meornot0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
You speak the truth but you made a few mistakes.
An OTA antenna can accept high definition signals regardless of the name. The Terk HDTV is a misnomer since you don't need that antenna for HD channels. It depends on where you live but you should get a good amount of channels. The best thing about it is the high-definition television is uncompressed so it'll look better than it does on cable.

If you want to, you could make your own antenna with a coat-hanger!
http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/
That coat hanger is epic!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: byes +1