I am going to buy a M3

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by waterboy100, Jan 30, 2007.

Jan 30, 2007

I am going to buy a M3 by waterboy100 at 9:27 PM (947 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. waterboy100
    OP

Newcomer waterboy100 Member

United States
    o.k, this is my first post, but you guys seem friendly so please help me out.

I want to buy a adapter so i can play other roms and homebrew on my DS lite. i am 99% sure i want to get the m3 so i am putting my questions in the M3 forum

1. what is the difference between the M3 and P4? or should i just look for the cheapest one?

2. when i look at some faqs out there on how to load roms it says that "new" versions of the ds need a passkey and that it is not included (does "new" refer to the DS lite? or does it even matter?).

basically my question is:
    if i buy THIS is that all i need for a ds lite that i just bought?

thanks,
    waterboy100

2. FuLei

Member FuLei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    plus a microsd card, plus all the stuff you want to play, and you can't play GBA on that, and to legally play ds games on it, you must own the actual games.

3. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    1) Difference is basically nothing except the default skin
    2) You will not be needing a passme device getting a SLOT1 device. That applies to the older generation devices using SLOT2. Downfall? No GBA for SLOT1 cards.

And to basically answer you, it's all you need to play ds roms (assumin you have a microsd) but you cannot play gba roms.

4. waterboy100
    OP

United States
    thanks guys. i huess i know where payday money is going this week.

5. Flavor

Member Flavor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just FYI, I would like to recommend
    http://www.getyourgameshere.com/
    I got my M3 Simply there, and it was a great experience. The shipping price and speed were very nice. I don't know why, but they don't get talked about much on the boards.

Anyway, they currently have the R4DS in stock, BTW.

6. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    It you want to use GBA stuff, but still just have a simple, slot-1 setup, you may want to wait for the M3 Real (that's what I am doing).

7. waterboy100
    OP

United States
    am i right to assume that the r4 and the m3 is the same thing?

also, is will any microsd card work or are some better than others. i am looking at a kingston (info HERE.

once again, thanks,

8. Farami9

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    nice price

never dealt with the company before so cant help you there

if its a JAPANSE then your in bussiness but if its a made in TAIWAN then your only mildly disadvantaged...

9. waterboy100
    OP

United States
    i keep seeing that. what is the difference between the taiwan and japan cards?

10. Farami9

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well like two games are ''meant'' to run slower....

Plus there are loads of fake sds around so you could get even a fake JAP one

11. bm_attar

Newcomer bm_attar Member

Canada
    I think the SC One review reveals that Kingston Taiwan is terrible while Kingston Japan works perfectly. This is undisbutable now.

On another note, I owned the M3 since its release, and I had no problems what-so-ever. I don't use a lot of homebrew though. All homebrew I tried (patched using DLDI) work fine.

12. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Undisputable? More like more fandom of microsd cards now instead. There's only 1 game in question and that's Portrait of the Ruins. Yes I've personally tested the game and it freezes on the kingston taiwna card, sandisk ultras (both 1 and 2 gig), and sandisk regulars as well. Maybe it freezes less on the Japanese Kingston cards because they run a bit faster but if you look, they still experience freezes on that one game despite having these magical japanese cards. Bottom line? There's something in the runtime of POR that flashcarts don't like....and getting faster micro sd cards alleviate the problem but do not eliminate it. On all the other games so far it performs identically from everyone's finding so far.

13. waterboy100
    OP

United States
    thanks for all the help everyone.