Hardware I am an idiot! Spilled cleaning fluid on 3ds!

RitchieRitchie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you want advice on any permanent damage or loss of long term life you should post exactly what cleaning fluid you spilled on it. The chemical composition will allow technical people to advise whether it will all just evaporate, be innocuous or corrosive long term.
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It was an all purpose cleaner from Morrisons. On the back it says it contains: less than 5% non-ionic surfactants, methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone, perfume, limonene.

Does that help?

cheers,

rr

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It was an all purpose cleaner from Morrisons. On the back it says it contains: less than 5% non-ionic surfactants, methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone, perfume, limonene.

Does that help?

cheers,

rr
Sadly I'm not a chemist but an engineer, so I don't know all of the components. BUT, I can ask you this. When you use the cleaner, and let it dry, does it leave any residue (oily, sticky or otherwise). When I am talking about residue I mean after you spray and wipe and ALSO if you spray a puddle and let it dry.

what more common brand cleaner is it most like would you say (we don't have morrisons so if I can equate it to windex, fantastic, 409 etc...)

RitchieRitchie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly I'm not a chemist but an engineer, so I don't know all of the components. BUT, I can ask you this. When you use the cleaner, and let it dry, does it leave any residue (oily, sticky or otherwise). When I am talking about residue I mean after you spray and wipe and ALSO if you spray a puddle and let it dry.

what more common brand cleaner is it most like would you say (we don't have morrisons so if I can equate it to windex, fantastic, 409 etc...)
Sorry, don't know what I'd equate it with from your part of the world. You are supposed to rinse after using it if you use it undiluted which suggests some residue but if diluted you don't need to rinse. Unfortunately it was uindiluted and straight from the bottle that came in contact with my 3ds.

Thanks again for the interest!

rr

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
  • less than 5% non-ionic surfactants - this could be any of a number of chemicals but are usually alcohol-based so would evaporate. Some, however, might be oxide based which could be corrosive
  • Methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone - these are toxic and irritating to biological matter but I don't think they are corrosive
  • perfume - this could be anything
  • limonene - this is an orange fragrance. It's also used as a solvent so will probably be corrosive

It would be best to dismantle your 3DS and clean the components which are susceptible to corrosion.

RitchieRitchie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
  • less than 5% non-ionic surfactants - this could be any of a number of chemicals but are usually alcohol-based so would evaporate. Some, however, might be oxide based which could be corrosive
  • Methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone - these are toxic and irritating to biological matter but I don't think they are corrosive
  • perfume - this could be anything
  • limonene - this is an orange fragrance. It's also used as a solvent so will probably be corrosive
It would be best to dismantle your 3DS and clean the components which are susceptible to corrosion.
Thanks but I don't think I'll risk taking it apart as I'm hopeless at that sort of thing! To be honest, I've had it for just over two years, I got it for a steal (£60 practically new) and have used it a lot so i can't really complain. I'll just see how long it lasts and keep my fingers crossed - although it's interesting finding out about the damage different liquids do to electronics for the next time i do something stupid - which knowing me will probably be pretty soon!

r

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
No problem, as long as you're aware that some of the chemicals you listed will very likely shorten the life-span of the device. Depending on the model, it might not actually be very difficult to take it apart. iFixIt.com post amazing teardown tutorials, one of which I used to take apart my iPad and replace the LCD panel when I spilled coke into it!

For example:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+Teardown/5029

Reactions: Deleted-236924

RitchieRitchie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No problem, as long as you're aware that some of the chemicals you listed will very likely shorten the life-span of the device. Depending on the model, it might not actually be very difficult to take it apart. iFixIt.com post amazing teardown tutorials, one of which I used to take apart my iPad and replace the LCD panel when I spilled coke into it!

For example:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+Teardown/5029
Thanks for the link, will give it a look.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I take this would be to use after I'd opened the 3ds xl up? Thanks for the info.

r
Yes, it's for cleaning the main board once you have accessed it. In theory you could try to spray it inside some of the vulnerable areas such as the cart and SD slots, but I don't know how well it would evaporate if you did that.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Yes, it's for cleaning the main board once you have accessed it. In theory you could try to spray it inside some of the vulnerable areas such as the cart and SD slots, but I don't know how well it would evaporate if you did that.
lectro kleen evaporates quickly, spark does not but you can let it sit there with no problem. I wouldn't use lectro kleen in enclosed components such as the analog thumb pad since it would take forever for it to evaporate completely. Unless you don't care dismantling that completely

RitchieRitchie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see hmm, don't think I'll risk it - I was thinking that if I could just spray it in the slots you mentioned then I'd give it a go but it sounds like I ight end up having to put it back in rice.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

lectro kleen evaporates quickly, spark does not but you can let it sit there with no problem. I wouldn't use lectro kleen in enclosed components such as the analog thumb pad since it would take forever for it to evaporate completely. Unless you don't care dismantling that completely
so do you reckon spraying it in the cartridge/sd slot might be worthwhile?

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I see hmm, don't think I'll risk it - I was thinking that if I could just spray it in the slots you mentioned then I'd give it a go but it sounds like I ight end up having to put it back in rice.

Well it won't hurt but I don't think the problem with your 3DS not booting is the cartridge slot

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No don't do that, you risk dislodging and moving around the chemicals rather than removing them.

Reactions: RitchieRitchie

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spark is fine even if you dip the board in it.

you are wrong, don't give him bad advice. This isn't about spark being OK, it's about dissolving and migrating the stuff he spilled into his 3ds to different locations on his board. If he can't remove what he spilled in there he is much better off leaving it and having the 3DS working as is then simply swishing it around inside of his unit.

Reactions: RitchieRitchie

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly when I do stuff like this I dismantle it after about a week of drying off (no attempts to power it on and no battery connected) then clean all the components that got exposed with 99% isopropyl alcohol and some cotton balls while submerged then let them dry again I did this for many PSP's back in the day.

Reactions: SmileCitrus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Ancientboi at it again. +1