Hacking I accidentally used the xkey iso menu on my xbox, am I screwed now?

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I updated the settings on my xkey to keep alive the hard drive (I use the remote), but I didn't notice that the setting for the remote was disabled by default, so when I booted up it came up with the iso menu "disc" in the drive. I quickly turned it off and changed the setting back, but I'm just wondering now, was inserting that emulated iso menu disc briefly going to get me console banned? I've been reading about console bans and it looks like it doesn't just disable xbox live access, it effectively bricks it by corrupting all new game saves. I don't really have any Arcade games or DLC that I would want to keep, or wouldn't mind paying again for, but I'm really worried about getting console banned now. Should I have been playing my backups on an offline profile, or doesn't that matter much? I have been patching with ABGX and always using the remote, except just that one time. I may have ran some unpatched games in the first few days of usage too.

DinohScene

Gay boy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So far, there has been no confirmed ban from ISOMenu.
I still advice against it but it's your own call of course.

And no, corrupting the HDD is disabled in dash 9199 for banned xboxes.
If you do get banned then you can easily convert your 360 into a RGH/R-JTAG box.
You won't be able to access live again tho ;p

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahh, so long as the hard drive scrambling doesn't happen anymore, then it should be all good. If console ban, then I'll just RGH/R-JTAG. The RGH kits actually look cheaper than my xkey, now that I look at them. Thanks for the tip, I will sleep easy knowing that I can *something* with the console if it ever gets console banned.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the whole iso menu not being safe to use was confirmed to be a hoax, most likely to sell remotes.

even the admins of the forum acknowledge that.

DinohScene

Gay boy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
360 isn't really dying.
MS announced that they will continue to release games for the coming 5 years.

But aye.
I'll make make notice of it and spread it ;]

ISOMenu might be easy, but as one of me customers say.
He'd rather walk to his 360 and select a game then to use ISOMenu cause he found out that he's playing games longer then when on ISOMenu ;]

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no evidence of the isomenu being dangerous though.

It's just less safe than the remote/getting up off couch method, it doesn't mean it isn't safe though.

DinohScene

Gay boy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Xkey team admins themselves say it's a hoax.
They just spread that rumor to sell more remotes.

But yeah, I still be cautious about it personally.
If MS wanted, they could also detect Xkeys.
Just like they could detect the old hacked DVD firmwares.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So if I were to install an xkey on a friends console, I should tell them that they should only use the remote?

I can't believe I got rid of my X360 Pro v2, now I need to buy another one too XD And another probe and molex wall adaptor. Sigh.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

DinohScene

Gay boy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well..
Personally I'd use the remote.
According to a mate of mine (and I experienced it meself on me RGH often)
If you have to get up to change your ISO, then you're more likely to play it for a longer time.

But no, you can ask them if they want to be extremely lazy and use the ISO menu or if they want to use the remote.
Their choice.

Jonathan Caldwell

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If MS wanted, they could also detect Xkeys.
Just like they could detect the old hacked DVD firmwares.

In the detection department, I don't doubt they try and detect it now, so long as they can do it simply.

What they do with the knowledge is another thing, most likely they log the number and keep an eye on the # in existence. At some point they _might_ go after _someone_, but only if i t will gain them money/customers/etc in the end.

Given that live users are still paying _somoething_ directly to them (after already purchasing some kind of console) for live, and those some customers aren't likely to increase the number of games they buy regardless of what m$ does, I don't see them making it a point to go after, banning, prosecuting, most people just for having something that doesn't itself prove piracy. If anything they would rather pursue people who are distributing games, any illegal tech, or offering services that are illegal (maybe stuff crossing borders).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    very dark scenes are more common than very bright scenes so i think i made the right choice
    Gift
    there was also a sony with worse local dimming and the glow was really apparent
    Gift
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    Human vision is non linear anyway. 100 nits is about 50% of the peak output of a 10,000 nit display.
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    "very dark scenes are more common than very bright scenes" not in the games i play
    Gift
    really have to buy the top end model to get a tv that doesnt have any of those compromises and that would've had more dimming zones too but i am not made o money
    Gift
    @Julie_Pilgrim "very bright" is essentially pure white
    Gift
    pure white doesn't show up all that much it's mainly when looking at a bright sky
    Gift
    and if the clouds in the sky have slightly less definition to them because i turned on the contrast enhancer who cares
    Gift
    that's not important
    Gift
    i can't tell the difference
    Gift
    but i can certainly tell the difference with black crush if i'm watching a scifi movie and i can't see wtf is going on
    Gift
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    Human vision is logarithmic, it's not linear. And nits doesn't tell the whole story of perceived brightness. OLED'S look brighter then LCD's even when both are set to the same nit values because of the higher contrast ratio on OLED's
    Gift
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    OLED's have a 3D look
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Charging port is more likely to fry up or battery fail before the display tbh lol
    Gift
    "And nits doesn't tell the whole story of perceived brightness" it's not about perceived brightness it's about all HDR content in TV and movies being mastered for 1000 nits so it doesn't look right with anything lower, it's also about dynamic range
    Gift
    "OLED's have a 3D look" no they don't lol
    Gift
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    As an owner of a OLED and you saying that you never seen an OLED I think I know what I'm talking about lol. I'm not talking about 3D as in 3D glasses. I'm talking about depth and pop in the picture
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I mean to be fair og vitas are still kicking and not many have suffered from pixel bleed and they're going on nearly 10 years
    Gift
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    OLED's can get away with a lower peak brightness and still provide punchy HDR because of their contrast ratio. Like I said human vision is logarithmic. The higher the peak brightness the diminishing returns in perceived brightness.
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Just get 5 years enjoyment out of it until Nintendy releases something and everyone forgets about switch games lol
    Gift
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    @The Real Jdbye Oleds hit around 750 nits nowadays. The difference between a 1000 nit and a 750 nit isn't huge. It's only about a 4% increase in perceived brightness. Not huge at all. You'll need at least 2000 nit displays to notice a bigger difference.
    Gift
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    Read this thread it explains it. 1000 nits is not a huge jump from 750 the LG OLEDs can hit. As I said human vision is non linear.
    +2
    Gift
  • Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    Not exactly 3D but the colors does pops out more
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    I just want a true dark mode theme
    for OLED Switch
    Gift
    mr_switch @ mr_switch: I just want a true dark mode theme for OLED Switch