Hardware I accidentally shorted my R joycon battery connector.

Spray110

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
SOLVED!

There had been something loose in my right joycon for quite some time, so I opened it up to fix it. It turned out one of the tiny springs underneath the ZR trigger had fallen out of it's socket, so I fixed that, a little fiddeling but no big deal. But... I then accidentally touched the battery connector, in which you connect the battery to the pcb, with a screwdriver, and I saw a spark... At that moment I knew something had to be damaged, and yes, now the battery won't work, not even replacing it with the battery from the left joycon helped. It does *kind of* function while connected to the Switch though, but it's not charging at all, and no lights blink while pressing the buttons, including the sync button.

So my question to you guys is what can I do now? Am I completely screwed or could I possibly find this type of connector online and try to replace it? It shouldn't be proprietary, right? I do have some experience with the soldering iron, I've done a successful NESRGB mod for example, so I know the basics even with tiny components.

Jeez I'm an idiot, I hope some of you guys have any advice. I'm going to contact Nintendo of Sweden to see wether or not it's worth sending it in for a repair.

Thanks!

Last edited by Spray110,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If it's less then 2 years old bring it to the shop you bought it from and have it replaced under warranty and if the 2 years are over then it's best to buy a new joycon

Reactions: tubebar

Spray110

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If it's less then 2 years old bring it to the shop you bought it from and have it replaced under warranty and if the 2 years are over then it's best to buy a new joycon

In Sweden it's one year warranty, Nintendo's own warranty as well, so I'm out of luck there... SO before I go out and buy another joycon I want to see if I have any options

Reactions: Aldoria

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In Sweden it's one year warranty, Nintendo's own warranty as well, so I'm out of luck there... SO before I go out and buy another joycon I want to see if I have any options
It's not. Sweden is a member of the European Union and all countries in the European union have a MIN of 2 years warranty.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm
Nintendo has nothing to say about that matter since Nintendo is not above the law. I have returned enough products of Nintendo after a year under European warranty law and they had to fix it or replace it. Nintendo can say as much as they want but as long as they sell it and ship it from Europe itself the European warranty law kicks in

Last edited by kumikochan,

bandicoot37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i've made a little smothing like that
Don't worry it's just a fuse
just need to solder a wire for replace the fuse:toot:

And cause i'm an electronician guy don't know if someone know this tips

https://ibb.co/nLRy0z

take care it's really small , and if you have a multimeter check if it's ok or not before short it

Last edited by bandicoot37,
Reactions: Spray110

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

https://ibb.co/nLRy0z

take care it's really small , and if you have a multimeter check if it's ok or not before short it

Now thats a real answer....

@Spray110
You can also buy a circuit pen to bridge the chip if you dont solder
Link
if you dont want to short the component mentioned above you can replace the joycon mainboard from here
Link 1
Link 2

Last edited by Canna,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There had been something loose in my right joycon for quite some time, so I opened it up to fix it. It turned out one of the tiny springs underneath the ZR trigger had fallen out of it's socket, so I fixed that, a little fiddeling but no big deal. But... I then accidentally touched the battery connector, in which you connect the battery to the pcb, with a screwdriver, and I saw a spark... At that moment I knew something had to be damaged, and yes, now the battery won't work, not even replacing it with the battery from the left joycon helped. It does *kind of* function while connected to the Switch though, but it's not charging at all, and no lights blink while pressing the buttons, including the sync button.

So my question to you guys is what can I do now? Am I completely screwed or could I possibly find this type of connector online and try to replace it? It shouldn't be proprietary, right? I do have some experience with the soldering iron, I've done a successful NESRGB mod for example, so I know the basics even with tiny components.

Jeez I'm an idiot, I hope some of you guys have any advice. I'm going to contact Nintendo of Sweden to see wether or not it's worth sending it in for a repair.

Thanks!
Most likely it shorted a chip on the motherboard that burned out (power delivery IC/charge controller?)
Keep a look out on eBay. It took me a few months of looking every couple days to find a faulty left JoyCon that was cheap enough to be worth buying just for the board (it only had a faulty stick click so I knew the board would be fine)
Most of the faulty JoyCons you find on eBay are the right JoyCon, so that's the easiest one to find a cheap replacement for.
I paid €9.50 for the faulty one, which is not too bad (+ shipping but it wasn't too much)
In my case I had ripped the battery connector off the board, I thought it just slid onto the pins but it's actually in two parts, a socket and a plug that just presses onto the socket. Wasn't able to find a replacement connector. I don't think that would help in your case anyway, it's probably not a problem with the connector.

Plus you'll get an extra battery too, in case the battery burned out. I think the battery probably wouldn't be destroyed from being shorted for a fraction of a second since it wouldn't have a chance to heat up, but it could shorten the battery life a little.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

4nders

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tjena!
Du har faktiskt 2 år ytterligare skydd, reklamationsrätten är upp till 3 år totalt. Men då ska det inte finnas några spår av att den åkt i golvet då är det svårt att få igenom. Så ser den bara ok ut så ska du nog få den lagad eller utbytt, men du blir av med sen under tiden, räkna 1 månad.

Just telling him in swedish that he should get it fixed within 3 years warranty that you can claim.

Spray110

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! It worked! :) I have one question though, how does this actually work? Also, hypothetically, if I were to short it again, what would happen then? Not that I would! ;D

Unfortunately because of a failing soldering station, I ended up lifting the component a bit, but I made sure it got a good connection by pretty much covering it in solder before putting it back together

Thanks again for the help! And thanks to the other repliers!

bandicoot37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just wanted to say THANK YOU! It worked! :) I have one question though, how does this actually work? Also, hypothetically, if I were to short it again, what would happen then? Not that I would! ;D

Unfortunately because of a failing soldering station, I ended up lifting the component a bit, but I made sure it got a good connection by pretty much covering it in solder before putting it back together

Thanks again for the help! And thanks to the other repliers!
Proud to listen this :) , now don't short it again lol cause we short the fuse if you make a mistake it will domage another thing

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tjena!
Du har faktiskt 2 år ytterligare skydd, reklamationsrätten är upp till 3 år totalt. Men då ska det inte finnas några spår av att den åkt i golvet då är det svårt att få igenom. Så ser den bara ok ut så ska du nog få den lagad eller utbytt, men du blir av med sen under tiden, räkna 1 månad.

Just telling him in swedish that he should get it fixed within 3 years warranty that you can claim.

He opened it up. That would void the warranty right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
    NinStar @ NinStar: die?