Homebrew I accidentally formatted my entire 3DS SD card

SallyPuppy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I was having an issue with all the Homebrew channels not showing up.

And I thought, maybe it'd be a good idea to backup my files and format my SD and see if that helps
Unfortunately, the files were not saved and the SD and they're all completely gone.

Everything, the 3DS data, Homebrew channels, all of that
I'm pretty sure I'm unable to recover the formatted card, I tried

And when I thought I could maybe try to reformat my SD by putting it in my 3DS,
My 3DS won't turn on

The light will flash on for a second, and then turn back off.

I have no idea what to do and I'm destroyed over this
If anyone has any solution, that'd be great

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you reformatted the SD card on your computer, you might be able to retrieve the lost files.
Scan the SD card with a data recovery program. Here's a list of several popular options. You figure out how to go about getting those.

If you did a System Settings → Other Settings → Format System Memory, anything that was from your Nintendo 3DS folder is permanently lost.
A data recovery program will not save 3DS games, DLCs, updates, and saves + extdata. You can try scanning, but Nintendo did a bang of job wiping out stuff when you use that.

:!: Do not proceed below until you've attempted data recovery.
Adding additional files onto the SD card will corrupt data.

Jumping ahead...

SallyPuppy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wouldn't really work. See, I thought that everything would be perfect fine if I just copied those files, formatted the SD, and then pasted them. (I was tried)
and, I got an error saying I couldn't paste them all after pasting a few back in.
As far as I'm aware, a recovery software can't get anything back if new files were saved into the folder. The previous ones get overwritten for sure, right?

I got it to work with boot.firm though, thanks!

SallyPuppy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, no need to now. I removed CFW and I'll try installing homebrew again later. Probably not the best idea ever, but I'm really scared of messing up one little thing.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, no need to now. I removed CFW and I'll try installing homebrew again later. Probably not the best idea ever, but I'm really scared of messing up one little thing.
You're setting yourself up for more disappointment if your card is fake or faulty, and your game save data corrupts or goes missing out of the blue.

SallyPuppy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're setting yourself up for more disappointment if your card is fake or faulty, and your game save data corrupts or goes missing out of the blue.
I'm not sure, honestly. The 3DS I got was preowned twice. It was bought day one in 2011, then bought by my friend in 2016 and then I bought it from her. The card apparently "came with the 3DS on launch", so you tell me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about lol, I'm sorry. Yeah, I should check if it's faulty. Thanks.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure, honestly. The 3DS I got was preowned twice. It was bought day one in 2011, then bought by my friend in 2016 and then I bought it from her. The card apparently "came with the 3DS on launch", so you tell me.
2011 is a long time ago. Read & write wear and tear on that card could have happened for those ~8 years. Flash memory does not last forever btw. Take the advice in scanning the emptied card if you want long term reliability preserving your data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: downloading a couple of puyo puyo ds games