Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is now the best-selling Warriors title of all time

kXEZRN5.png

Dynasty Warriors is a franchise familiar to crossovers, especially with Nintendo, with the two companies teaming up to release both Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors. However, their latest team-up has broken previous sales records, according to Koei Tecmo. The recently-launched Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, which expands upon the story of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is now officially the highest-selling Warriors/Musou game of all time, having already achieved 3 million sales since its launch on November 20th, less than a week ago.

:arrow: Source

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Friendly reminder to not feed the troll.

On topic, I also don't really see any major issue with the framerate. Only saw a slight slowdown once in the first level and one instance of a slideshow for a split second in the Revali level.
As for the game itself, it's alright. I prefer the story of this one over the first HW, but i miss the fact that occupying outpost want relegated to mission objective, but rather was actually strategic zone to occupy to help you achieve your mission. Also, AoC is a little light on content, without the adventure mode.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tbh the framerate isn't THAT bad, at least in singleplayer. The biggest slowdowns were in the first levels (the very first and Mipha's mission), but tbh I think that I'm just being kind because when I play on Switch I know that I'm making concessions. I just knew it would have framerate issues like that so whatever.
Also it's funny comparing the trailers were it's always a perfect 30fps lock, like this would be possible on Switch lol

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The game is awesome... Got more soundtracks to listen to! The music team really did and amazing job. I liked the story too, for a lot of reasons. Still having fun.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm having a whole lot of fun with it. It's probably my favorite warriors title.... I just wish it ran better. It crawls to a power point slide show in co-op whenever you're using certain characters or using anyone's special. And even in single player, it frequently drops frames and stutters quite a bit.

Still a lot of fun, and it's great for de-stressing. But man, if there is a Switch Pro coming, I'll pick one up if it'll run this game at a consistent smooth framerate.
Urbosa's special, holy shit what a lagfest that is.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Huge Musou fan here, since Shin Sangoku Musou 2 (Dynasty Warriors 3).
First of all, haters, F OFF.

Second, I'll be waiting for the next Switch/whatever to try it, since this game deserve better FPS.

Third, Zelda Musou was already easily the best in the whole story of Musou games, bar Musou Orochi 2, so it's really easy to see how this would be on the way to be become the best-selling musou game (Zelda name + BotW plot included + fame from Zelda Musou).

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are way more Switches sold than people buying this game, and there are way more games than this one alone, so both piracy running rampant and still sell games can be true.
I know that but then u have games like animal crossing and super mario 3d all stars whos numbers are way up there. It proves that if you make a game people like they will buy it.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To be fair its not hard, its only had 2 titles, the wii u version and same ported to 3ds.

Tho it shows how inferior the switch is, crap resolution in portible mode and god fuck me, last time i played a game where shit just magically popped up in front of you was back in the n64 days.

Pop ups is terrible.

But putting that aside i dont mind the game, it feels like its telling the story that nintendo couldnt be arsed to tell in its motion tech demo aka botw.

Is because the game was not 100% made for the Switch like Super Mario Odyssey.

This thing probably shares code with the Wii U game, that's the same problem Breath Of the Wild has.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a literal sense, I can't exactly say that's wrong, but I can't help but feel that they could have done a much better job optimizing the game, despite it being on the Switch. This is especially considering the existing benchmark of HW: DE running at least at double the framerate, a much higher resolution, and with less pop-in. It's not as though I'd argue every aspect of the game is ruined by the poor performance, but an action game should never get to the point where a single digit framerate becomes a normality during basic play, and I don't think it's entirely fair to point to the Switch's hardware as being the sole culprit. HW: DE runs better in every way, with comparable enemy counts and asset quality to AoC, and at a much higher resolution. OCing the Switch's GPU does help the framerate a lot, but it still never hits a constant 30 in battle for more than half a second, and I honestly can't point to any particular graphical aspect that would justify such a GPU-heavy game. It's especially disappointing when it drops frames so hard, considering the input latency spikes as the framerate chugs, and it can often ruin the timing-based challenges the game uses (flurry rushes and parries) and even when the framerate is as "steady" as it can get, it's still dropping frames off 30 left and right.

For context, I'd say Breath of the Wild was limited to 30fps to achieve wide sweeping shots which loaded in many distant assets, and I think it's safe to say that it was necessary to achieve the type of "search and explore" gameplay the title was going for, while still being on the Switch. To me, that kind of sacrifice isn't ideal, but I understand how it directly serves other aspects of the gameplay. AoC, though? I can't really see anything that justifies the poor performance, and the fact that the core gameplay has to suffer so much is a detriment to the many positive aspects of the game's design.
The thing is the Switch isn't necessarily a 60fps console. Majority of its library is 30fps locked. We could blame the games for not being optimized which is part of the problem (Koei), but even if they weren't you still wont get its full potential performance. HW: DE is the only warriors game that Koei put more effort into b/c they were getting bashed for their previous wiiu/3ds games. In Fire Emblem warriors they gave us performance/quality mode, but performance mode robbed us of better quality only to gain a 5fps difference.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is because the game was not 100% made for the Switch like Super Mario Odyssey.

This thing probably shares code with the Wii U game, that's the same problem Breath Of the Wild has.
The game is not 100% made for the switch........ erm how do you figure that when its not on any other system.

Making the mistake of it having the same problems is because of nintendos shit hardware, in order to make it run smooth, it has to limit whats on screen.

And its pretty shit that today your getting games which crap magically pops up right in front of you.

DannX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Way to Go! I've been a Musou/Warriors fan since the PS2 era and I've enjoyed every single game I've been able to play even though they get a bit repetitive and formulaic, they're still pretty decent and fun to play.
I've been enjoying AoC so far. I'm glad they brought back the mechanic where missions appear on the world map, like in Warrior All Stars, my favorite Warriors game ever, and that features from BotW (like the cooking and hidden koroks) are also present. They did a good job with this one, not perfect of course, but I'm still happy it's selling so well even though it hasn't even been a week.

Reactions: MasterJ360

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a whole lot of fun with it. It's probably my favorite warriors title.... I just wish it ran better. It crawls to a power point slide show in co-op whenever you're using certain characters or using anyone's special. And even in single player, it frequently drops frames and stutters quite a bit.

Still a lot of fun, and it's great for de-stressing. But man, if there is a Switch Pro coming, I'll pick one up if it'll run this game at a consistent smooth framerate.

You're acting as if major slowdown hasn't plagued the warriors games from the beginning and across multiple platforms, especially when playing 2 player. ;)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't surprise me, this game is much more closely a tie-in to BotW than the first Hyrule Warriors game, which was more of just a general series spin-off. BotW in particular probably joins the most generations of Zelda fans together.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well first you have to have an interest in the story of BotW , if you do , you'r in for a treat . Forget the idea of musou game or wathever this is too niche of a term , they slapped ZEDLA on it so your bound to bring in many people from mainstream ,a bigger group of people who probably never heard the term or vaguly seens some gameplay of the genre. So you got a New Zelda game , with the story Canon to the previous really mainstream zelda on a platform that is selling like hot cake to anyone .

so far im 30 hours in , i dont know if im close to the end of something lol . i dont wanna know i try to avoid spoiler .

i enjoyed every bit of story told and was impressed by how much they actually brought ,filling the gap with your imagination for some event , you also see the size the war could take and how the vaste plains and ruins and lots of stuffs that make you see BotW in another perspective , remember you wake up 100 yrs later as a bare warior who cant kill a moblin with a stick , from this game where link is a mighty warriors , and not only link but a vast array of character ,the old lady Impa as a young ninja ,etc .

the combat ,unless you just smash and dont care , can be so different from character to character , each uses it in their own way making for various plan of attack .and bigger enemy can get as teadious and fun to fight as a one on one fight in BotW , being quite different but taking some not of it like the furry attack from a perfect dodge as exemple .

this come from someone who played a crap tone of dynasty warrior on ps2 , then barely touched any and tried the first hyrule warriors wich feel more like a musou game than AoC and feel really different . Also a big zelda fan , exept for skyward sword i have done every zelda many times .

this is not to take as a zelda game or warrior game but a thing of its own .

Reactions: ChronoTrig

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.