Hacking Hypothetically speaking, lets say the PS4 gets opened up once its EOL...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mainly the vita scene has flourished, because they released the exploits on recent firmwares which allows anyone to get a vita hack it to make homebrew compared to the ps4 5.05 (which is a really old fw) that it's hard to get. hopefully when the time comes an exploit will be released, but it will be most likely at the PS4 EOL or when the ps5 is released.

Too bad the Vita scene can only go so far, the CPU on that device is pretty garbage.

Reactions: Darksabre72

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing really the homebrew on the PS4 currently would be the same homebrew we will get if the PS4 was opened up more. I wouldn't really hold my breath for future exploits Sony is suing hackers or just buying them out. Sony is going to treat the PS4 like they did the PS Vita once the PS5 out they are shifting focus on that which is why no future exclusives are even heading on the PS4 anymore because they want you to purchase the PS5.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally agreed with you. These attitudes are why they dont deserve it.

You have to understand why he said that... you can basically emulator low level stuff like SNES/PS1/GBA/GBC on anything there really isn't a purpose of playing that on the PS4. I'll give you an example I have all of that stuff on my Galaxy S10 sure my switch can do it but I just play it on my phone because of the convenience my phone run those games better than my switch can hence for the PS4 the feeling may be mutual.On the Modded PS4 you have high expectations such as PS2/PS3 emulation this is value and worth. I'm not saying the low level emulators are bad but it's just you can play those across the board on almost anything but such as PS2/PS3 you really cant do that unless you have a good PC hence why not test the capabilities of the PS4 on it. The issue is the difficult of making such things run on the PS4 which is why you don't really see it. We have retroarch on almost anything.That is why I never wasted my time creating a DEV account for my Xbox One S since I have retroach on my Vita , Switch, Gaming Laptop , also the stand alone emulators on my Galaxy S10.

I don't think it is being ungrateful it's just retroarch is saturated and you can play it on almost all types of devices why go through the trouble of modding your PS4 to do that. The only thing the PS4 is good for once modded are the pirated games this same thing goes for the switch... the only diffrence for the switch would be the perfect 3DS/DS/Wii/Gamecube emulation I strongly believe the hardware can do it ... it just boils down to the difficulty of developing a perfect ran emulation on the switch.

It just take a dedicated team to do it but like I said in the past $$$ will always be a factor.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
I totally agreed with you. These attitudes are why they dont deserve it.

Take your agreement and shove it up your azore, kneejerker.

The above post sums up my perspective succinctly and the agreer you agreed with agreed with me anyway as the thread progressed so indirectly you're agreeing with me...

Face it: The PS4 "scene" is terrible because of reasons outlined previously and because of this a platform that could've become a modern day OG Xbox of emulation goodness thanks to its architecture and power is awash in SOONing and white knights like yourself who harp on about what people "deserve". Go virtue signal elsewhere, fool.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You have to understand why he said that... you can basically emulator low level stuff like SNES/PS1/GBA/GBC on anything there really isn't a purpose of playing that on the PS4. I'll give you an example I have all of that stuff on my Galaxy S10 sure my switch can do it but I just play it on my phone because of the convenience my phone run those games better than my switch can hence for the PS4 the feeling may be mutual.On the Modded PS4 you have high expectations such as PS2/PS3 emulation this is value and worth. I'm not saying the low level emulators are bad but it's just you can play those across the board on almost anything but such as PS2/PS3 you really cant do that unless you have a good PC hence why not test the capabilities of the PS4 on it. The issue is the difficult of making such things run on the PS4 which is why you don't really see it. We have retroarch on almost anything.That is why I never wasted my time creating a DEV account for my Xbox One S since I have retroach on my Vita , Switch, Gaming Laptop , also the stand alone emulators on my Galaxy S10.

I don't think it is being ungrateful it's just retroarch is saturated and you can play it on almost all types of devices why go through the trouble of modding your PS4 to do that. The only thing the PS4 is good for once modded are the pirated games this same thing goes for the switch... the only diffrence for the switch would be the perfect 3DS/DS/Wii/Gamecube emulation I strongly believe the hardware can do it ... it just boils down to the difficulty of developing a perfect ran emulation on the switch.

It just take a dedicated team to do it but like I said in the past $$$ will always be a factor.

This is exactly it, time and again I've said that devs should be compensated for their effort or by incentivizing certain emulators/apps etc with donations as I'd happily contribute as I'm sure would a handful of others on this site.

As I said above, its a huge loss in terms of an all in one emulation machine because when it was announced as a supercharged PC I was expecting the resurrection of the OG Xbox in all of its glory as its got the grunt and its architecture means porting to it would've been a breeze which leaves only the optimization as a barrier to be overcome but we all know devs like a challenge!

The piracy aspect is irrelevant to me, aside from being able to rip your own discs to the HD, but emulation wise we could've had a machine running pretty much everything easily. Nvidia Shield or small PC it will be for me then even though I hate Windows...

CrossGamerHDX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pc scene and Nintendo one are the best.
We have paid tools and free tools on the switch and now we have even ways to hack newest products
Ps4 scene is dead.
They seem to be care more about being famous on Twitter
My 5.0.5 ps4 has some great homebrew and games

My normal ps4 I guess will be used until ps4 since last of us2 the last game I bought on it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would not expect much.

Emulation on the PC it eeking its way forwards but PS1 and earlier is still the main focus for most things (give or take the handhelds but they are seldom that much more powerful) and I doubt much the PS4 brings to the table will change things there.
At the same time I don't see it being powerful enough that it is going to be a way to bring a lot more to the table. ROM sizes relative to download options, bandwidth and storage available are also considerable impositions for a lot of those (everything that is not an optical disc likely fits on a "round or two in the pub costs more" priced USB flash drive/SD card these days, start going into DVD and beyond world...) which further troubles potential popularity.
Many of the later consoles are also somewhat lacking in games as well (Nintendo's post SNES and post DS efforts were game deserts a lot of the time, even if the consoles themselves sold well enough that some consider them a success) and can also have aged like milk on the graphics front, which emulation can only do so much to address.

Today everybody has a laptop, tablet, phone or raspberry pi to shove into their TV (if they even care to use a TV rather than hold a phone close enough that it takes up the same amount of their visual space, plus is their own private thing). To that end all the little nice applications that were only possible or 100x more viable when TVs and computers did not have matching inputs (or resolutions) by default are pointless.

Equally most of the games are on PC as well and I don't see any kind of ROM hack making or cheat having cutting a big swathe through them, even more so if mods=ban and people somehow think paid online is not only acceptable but desirable (and even then "want more variety/tighter gameplay in multiplayer" is 70% of the reason for modding things). Minor exception if the online dies or it is viable to have a "for homebrew" device for the masses, though prices probably won't get there too soon (360 and to a slightly lesser extent PS3 prices cratered at one point, wii even more so after the wii sports crowd flogged them to go onto the next fad, but I am not seeing that for the PS4 too terribly soon).
I should also note that while I can debug things without them if I don't have an emulator, especially on modern games, it is a pain in the arse to do much more than token efforts where "might as well be a new game" is a weekend project on something like the GBA or DS where I have great emulation. Being a modern device someone might care to hack me some nice OS level game savestates, memory viewer, cheat search, breakpoints/watchpoints/logging, disassembly, macros and whatnot and dump it all over network (or have SSH/telnet going in) such that I can fake it well enough.

Basically I doubt we will ever see another xbox, GBA, DS, PSP or Wii, and if we do it will be because the hardware is so damn cheap (or cheap for the power) it just makes sense to not use an old PC/pi/tablet, because everything else folds inwards and goes locked down (some tell me android is heading there -- trying to find something I can root, replace the battery by removing a cover, shove a SD card in, have a headphone jack and have HDMI out is actually easier said than done), because the hardware affords the option to do something that nothing else can (that is also desirable -- give me a perfect setup for emulating some old arcade stuff that is an arse ache to do any other way and I will be interested, as will the 1000 people on a handful of sites but nobody else will likely care).

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Yeah, I think thats why the Shield scene is popping like that is because it straddles all of those variables easily in one device that is by default more open to these kind of shenanigans. The more I look into it the more it seems to be the perfect device for retro goodness as it can go all the way upto DC/GC quite nicely, is affordable, tiny and doesn't require you to faff on with an OS and tweaking a billion other variables to get optimal performance.

That was one of the main things that always put me off about PC emulation because there was so much you had to config to get it running "just right" and I'm from the old days of XMS/EMS and trying to squeeze out as much spare room as you can in that base 640k! A simple plug and play, this just works style is what I'm all about and I've got to say the PSC really impressed me with what it can do once modded due to how well optimized it all is.

Those new GPD devices look interesting as well but I've got my doubts about their long term durability due to the amount of heat generated in that form factor but its a great concept. If the next iteration evolves into a set top box then I'm in as they've got strong specs for a keen price.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a dead platform that cannot compete with PC or provide the portability of Switch. There are a lot of them out there of course, but no one really cares about the PS4. Even Sony is bringing their best games to PC now.
This is the best comment I have seen in a while LOL

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what their definition of "reasonable time" is.

Sony isn't issuing an embargo on reports made in good faith and is offering researchers the opportunity to disclose their findings after "reasonable time" for Sony
which is why sciresM and Kate and the other switch devs reported it to Nvidia (fusee-geleer) and not nintendo directly cause with nintendo they would never been able to release fusee geelee no disclosed period with them and not with sony

BaffledBatsandSlother

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What can we really expect apart from rampant piracy?

There have been active working exploits for a while now on various firmwares and we haven't seen much in terms of homebrew/emulators that are actually worth a toss and this has me wondering if anything would change at a later date? Devs don't seem to be that interested in this platform in contrast to say a Switch which is veritably bursting at the seams with a scene whilst the PS4 has been SOONing for quite some time now.

Like I said, just wondering...

What the fuck is SOONing and why is it used like I'm supposed to already know what it means.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP

Interesting development. Looks like a couple of sceners have got paid from the incentive:

https://hackerone.com/theflow0
https://hackerone.com/oct0xor

Good for them, you put in the grind so deserve the cash. 50K for a critical vulnerability in the PS4 speaks volumes... Considering they only used to give white hats T-shirts until recently. Their "reasonable time" caveat is a nice touch though so we'll see.

What this does make me think though is that PS5 is basically Gamecube to Wii status in terms of shared architecture and they're trying to lock down as many potential points of entry as they can before it releases because it makes no sense to open up this bounty at this stage in the PS4 lifecycle. Personally I do dig the approach because if you can't beat them, buy them and devs throughout all scenes have been some of the most intelligent and creative types I've ever met as they think so far outside the box and have immense dedication due to their passion.

Noteworthy that this challenge only applies to the exploits in the latest beta firmware and nothing earlier which means they must be quite confident in their level of security. Stability updates FTW!

hDY0gyv.gif

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Flow0 is releasing something in a few weeks/months and then retiring the “scene”

b9ba4cc3ae1e91e9db557b14242f49d0.gif

:D

For real though I just saw his tweet:

"PS4 scene, you’re starting such a drama over nothing. I was actually planning to disclose something in a few weeks/months (which I will still do...) and after that, I‘d like to announce my retirement, even if I was never part of that toxic and entitled „scene“."

And he is so on the money plus he breathed new life into the Vita when Sony left it out in the cold so props to him for that. Plus this program is going to bring a lot of talent to Sonys attention and it could furnish them with life changing opportunities beyond the money with something far more rewarding and that is a wonderful thing so my best to all involved.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,
Reactions: ploggy and KiiWii

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It will eventually get hacked at some point. Maybe in a year, maybe 2, maybe more...
Just don't waste your time and wait for it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: At least the 20 you can add MicroSD up to 1TB lol