Humble Weekly Sale + Contest = AWESOME [Contest Ended]

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Attila13, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attila13
    OP

Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Oct 11, 2010
    Romania
    Zalau,Romania
    [​IMG]

You maybe are saying that "Yeah, Yeah... another humble bundle thread, you just ended the other one...", I know, but this really needs a shout out.
    Sorry Guys! The bundle ended, but the contest is still going!

[​IMG]
    And now I did mention a contest too, didn't I? Well yes, you heard it correctly! If you are a talented game developer or you make games just for a hobby and you'd like to win some prizes now's your time!
    Enter the contest for a chance to win big prizes and even money, the grand prize being $10000!

More info About the contest

So hurry up everyone who wants to enter the contest! You'll have one month of work! May the best win! ;)

Sooo....What do you guys think about all these? :)

:arrow: Source #1 Sorry, bundle ended!
    :arrow: Source #2

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Pretty much all the...erm...well, I can't exactly call it "games" anymore, but...pretty much all the programs on humble bundle are usually steals.

And I don't know what to think of it. I seriously doubt you can make a decent game with it, even by indie standards. With the "no programming required" from the base program, you're obviously locked in what is provided already, which means that if you work hard enough, you can make a great game...like the nearly dozen ones that are included in the humble bundle you begin with. In other words: don't expect anyone else to like it as much as you do. It's kind of like having programs like MS-paint or MS-word on your computer. Just because you now have the power to create art or write the best novel in history doesn't mean you will actually make it. And that's even assuming you can tweak the program outside its original borders.

On the other hand...having these sorts of tools readily available may be very interesting. Take a look at games like "Dear Esther". In essence, it's nothing more than a visual novel. But the way it is narrated makes it a very interesting...experience. Same here. I absolutely hate turn-based RPG's. But I'm sure it'll be possible to throw that entire aspect out of the window and go more for an exploration kind of game, a visual novel or even a game with Zelda-like puzzles (from what I can see, I doubt action-RPG's in the style of old Zelda's are readily available or even possible).
    Hmm...got to think on this... :unsure:

EDIT: okay, gotta admit: it's really nice they hold a competition. I hope it'll bring lots of talents to the drawing board. But I've gotta admit I will in no way be one of them (these sorts of things tend to get won by people actually making games for a living).

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Have you ever played To The Moon? It's made in RPG Maker XP (with a bunch of custom scripts and stuff, sure) but it focuses pretty much completely on story. There's no battles of any kind except a joke near the beginning of the game. It's possible to make something like that too.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  4. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Wow that is by far one of the best sales in terms of value.
    That savings are just crazy. Definitely grabbing this.

Attila13 likes this.
  5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I just started it (had it from a previous steam sale). In terms of build quality, it's not bad in any way. This is pretty much what I expected to be possible with what that RPG maker VX Ace trailer showed (I forgot to add 'point & click' style adventure games as well).

It sure is a step back from what I expect from a game. But on the other hand, it's also more than I expected. Rather than looking at it as "a game" that will never measure up to AAA-titles, it can be a way to tell a story that goes much deeper than a book can ever be. :)

EDIT: purchased the bundle. Most likely, it'll end up in this evergrowing "things to do" list, but you never know.

It's probably worth mentioning that though this program has a ton of DLC on steam, quite a lot of it is included in this bundle.
    Also worth mentioning: the program is free to try on steam this weekend...and has 75% off all items (though that latter is probably just interesting for those who already bought it)

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Sometimes a bundle is so charitable you have to wonder if somebody in Humble Bundle HQ just made a horrible mistake.

Skelletonike likes this.
  7. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    The music and story of To The Moon is superb. Gameplay and graphics, meh. But I found it worth trudging through the mechanical feel of the game just to get to the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.