Humble to permanently remove all Linux and Mac versions of games from Humble Trove

Humble Bundle logo 2.png

As Humble changes how its Choice bundles work, there's going to be a certain adverse effect for customers. Having notably offered Linux and Mac versions of games since even its very first Humble Indie Bundle, the cross-platform offerings will be limited going forward, at least, when it comes to Humble Trove.

Humble Trove is a perk given to Humble Choice subscribers, and comes with over 70 DRM-free titles for players to access. Usually, these games, if they have a Linux or Mac version available, will be included as an option. However, starting on February 1, as Humble moves to its new launcher, all non-Windows DRM-free versions of games offered through Humble Trove will no longer be available to download.

Humble has notified users by telling them they have a limited time to grab the Linux and Mac versions of any games in the Humble Trove, before they lose access for good. Meanwhile, the Windows versions of the DRM-free games will still be available, through the new Humble launcher as part of the Humble Games Collection, which appears to exist as a replacement to Trove, and will be an app exclusive to Windows.

:arrow: Source

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always see you putting us Mac users down. I use a Mac because I find it a much better user experience compared to Windows. I've used Windows since 3.11 and each version makes it harder and harder to do what I call simple tasks.

People should be allowed to use whatever computer makes them productive without being put down. If people want to also game on a Mac, let them.

Once Apple stops charging price-gouging highway robbery prices for something I can do for half the cost, I'll consider it. Never had an issue with Windows, so that sure as hell ain't my problem.

I shouldn't have to sell my soul to have the same features I can get for much cheaper.

Reactions: Snintendog

LeeNose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'll just shut my mouth then. I just think Apple products are overpriced.
They sure are, but some of us buy them for other reasons than games. I've got a Linux stationary, but I also own a MacBook for music production and programming, I'd still like the possibility to play games. Multiplatform for computers is ESSENTIAL, I'm so tired of this culture of exclusion.

On that note, I can't stand how many kids and teens there are on this site expressing their opinions about computing and software, it just makes some of us boil reading these naive posts.

Instructions to improve your life after these news:
  • Download all the games on Trove now
  • Spread them on the interweebs
  • Cancel all subscriptions
  • Delete all payment methods
  • Logoff humblebundle
  • Delete all cookies
  • Enjoy GOG 😁
Thank you, people need to wake up from this fucking consumerism and reckless acting, allowing DRM to take its place further and further by the day. I really hate the modern "gamer", I can't say the word itself without making a face.

Last edited by LeeNose,
Reactions: Henx

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They sure are, but some of us buy them for other reasons than games. I've got a Linux stationary, but I also own a MacBook for music production and programming, I'd still like the possibility to play games. Multiplatform for computers is ESSENTIAL, I'm so tired of this culture of exclusion.

On that note, I can't stand how many kids and teens there are on this site expressing their opinions about computing and software, it just makes some of us boil reading these naive posts.

Thank you, people need to wake up from this fucking consumerism and reckless acting, allowing DRM to take its place further and further by the day. I really hate the modern "gamer", I can't say the word itself without making a face.

People? Expressing different opinions on the internet? The audacity! Such people should be punished!

Reactions: Snintendog

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why though? I get not wanting to make a Linux version of their launcher, but just abandoning Linux versions of games that they already have on their servers? They could at least make them available through the Windows launcher so you can download them through a VM if you want but still play them natively on Linux.

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do back up these claims with some test data please. I don't doubt that an x86 machine can outperform a MacBook, but I highly doubt they they will do so at a comparable energy efficiency.
X86? dud are you in the stone age running leopard on power PC? x64 has been the standard for a decade. but sure. a 2 second google of Laptop battery 2022 https://www.rtings.com/laptop/tests/performance/battery

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Snintendog,
  • Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A compat mode is your link? i raise you the REAL article from your same site too https://techterms.com/definition/x64

Edit: https://techterms.com/help/difference_between_32-bit_and_64-bit_systems this one should help you understand x86/=/x64 as well and how x86 is being planned to be dropped by the hardware later on to the detriment of everyone but with no concrete time frame of them doing it.
x86 is a family of instruction sets, it doesn’t have a specified bit width. In fact, x86 started with an 8-bit implementation. x86-64 is AMD’s *extension to the standard*, it was adopted over Intel’s Itanium (IA64) specifically because it allowed for compatibility with legacy applications, and Intel begrudgingly adopted it because they like “not being bankrupt”, companies generally prefer that. “Dropping support” for certain types of applications or modes isn’t unusual, and isn’t an indication of a “brand-new instruction set”, not that it even matters since that’s not even the crux of the issue. The x86 family, whether 8-bit or 64-bit, is inherently a CISC instruction set whereas Apple’s new Apple Silicon based on ARM, as well as the PowerPC chips they used in the past, all use RISC instruction sets. Different kettle of fish - it’s that factor that speaks to per-op efficiency. x86-based computers are never going to be as efficient as ARM ones because they can’t be when comparing apples to apples. You speak on the subject with an air of authority, but I don’t think you even understand the difference, or the point being made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_instruction_set_computer

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
x86 is a family of instruction sets, it doesn’t have a specified bit width. In fact, x86 started with an 8-bit implementation. x86-64 is AMD’s *extension to the standard*, it was adopted over Intel’s Itanium (IA64) specifically because it allowed for compatibility with legacy applications, and Intel begrudgingly adopted it because they like “not being bankrupt”, companies generally prefer that. “Dropping support” for certain types of applications or modes isn’t unusual, and isn’t an indication of a “brand-new instruction set”, not that it even matters since that’s not even the crux of the issue. The x86 family, whether 8-bit or 64-bit, is inherently a CISC instruction set whereas Apple’s new Apple Silicon based on ARM, as well as the PowerPC chips they used in the past, all use RISC instruction sets. Different kettle of fish - it’s that factor that speaks to per-op efficiency. x86-based computers are never going to be as efficient as ARM ones because they can’t be when comparing apples to apples. You speak on the subject with an air of authority, but I don’t think you even understand the difference, or the point being made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_instruction_set_computer
normally you would be right but you are under the assumption that x64 relies on x86 instructions at all CISC and RISC are near 100% incompatible but Neither are more or less efficient just going at doing the same tasks differently X86 is inefficient due to it being a bloated mess of instructions dating back to the 4bit days the wild west of computing and never trimming the fat x64 however is making a huge line distinction between the old instructions and new ones within the same environment Major improvements with hindsight in mind and replacing all of the main ones while also supporting older ones for legacy purposes but isolating them. newer CPU's are far more efficient while running ONLY x64 based software IE Linux MacOSX Windows X64 and is generally accepted as a natural evolution that was needed greatly.

Metal on apple Is them Creating their own ARM based Instructions to further unify their IOS and Desktop environment and creating a FAR more Closed garden than ever before Not even the powerPC revision were this closed off. Hell Metal is so different i would Consider it as its own Category from ARM itself since not even RETAIL off the shelf ARM chips wont run Metal Instructions at least without some unauthorized changes.

Also linking a wikipage lol at least stick to authoritative sources like ARMs press kit or Reviewers that compare and contrast for a living not a bunch of lowlifes that barely understand how their wiki is running and stop professionals from editing the Real info in to keep it up to date and fix errors. Its really telling the newest source on there links to a 2017 article talking about a 2000 printout about RISC vs CISC as its only source on the differences the rest are either even older 1995 or irrelevant such as the "fastest supercomputer now is in china".

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo and Minox

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
normally you would be right but you are under the assumption that x64 relies on x86 instructions at all CISC and RISC are near 100% incompatible but Neither are more or less efficient just going at doing the same tasks differently X86 is inefficient due to it being a bloated mess of instructions dating back to the 4bit days the wild west of computing and never trimming the fat x64 however is making a huge line distinction between the old instructions and new ones within the same environment Major improvements with hindsight in mind and replacing all of the main ones while also supporting older ones for legacy purposes but isolating them. newer CPU's are far more efficient while running ONLY x64 based software IE Linux MacOSX Windows X64 and is generally accepted as a natural evolution that was needed greatly.

Metal on apple Is them Creating their own ARM based Instructions to further unify their IOS and Desktop environment and creating a FAR more Closed garden than ever before Not even the powerPC revision were this closed off. Hell Metal is so different i would Consider it as its own Category from ARM itself since not even RETAIL off the shelf ARM chips wont run Metal Instructions at least without some unauthorized changes.

Also linking a wikipage lol at least stick to authoritative sources like ARMs press kit or Reviewers that compare and contrast for a living not a bunch of lowlifes that barely understand how their wiki is running and stop professionals from editing the Real info in to keep it up to date and fix errors. Its really telling the newest source on there links to a 2017 article talking about a 2000 printout about RISC vs CISC as its only source on the differences the rest are either even older 1995 or irrelevant such as the "fastest supercomputer now is in china".

You seem bitter, maybe take a break from being pedantic and condescending.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Wow, such a long post to just say “I’m sorry, I was wrong, but I don’t really want to concede”.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
wow ignores everything stated including sources.
I don’t need sources. I know what RISC and CISC architectures are, I deal with data sheets all the time, not “press kits” or opinion pieces of “reviewers” - those are not sources for information regarding engineering. Besides, half of your post is complete babble anyway, particularly the part about Apple. I don’t know why you’re not just taking the L at this point, and I’m not particularly interested in discussing CPU design with someone who’s obviously not familiar with the subject and LARPing on an internet forum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.