Humble Bundle announces redesign that will limit charity donations to 15%

8a88fa654693019cbe2ea724259402d591fd26e6.jpg

For over a decade now, Humble Bundle has provided gamers with bundles of heavily discounted games, while also donating millions of dollars to charity. Traditionally, each Humble Bundle would let you buy in at various tiers, with sliders at the bottom to let you decide how much money goes to Humble Bundle itself, the charity, and the game publishers. You even had the option of giving all your money to one of the three entities, while giving nothing to the others.

Over the weekend, however, Humble Bundle announced that in May they would be testing a new update to the way adjusting donations work. Under the new system, you can toggle between two options: default donation, or extra to charity. The default option will give 85% to publishers, 10% to Humble Bundle, and 5% to charity. The other option gives 80% to publishers, 5% to Humble Bundle and 15% to charity. As of now, it does not appear there are any other customization options that will be available.

blog_charity.gif

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And just like that, Humble turned into literally every other shitty digital storefront ever
With the IGN buyout (or indeed IGN's masters which are a capital firm https://www.greathillpartners.com/media/ign-and-great-hill-complete-going-private-transaction ) did you expect anything else?
Granted I would have bet on it happening sooner than this. I personally stopped paying attention when they went all in on Steam though rather than the occasional DRM free effort.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I think they should keep the sliders but have just a fixed minimum for Humble (say 10%) and leave the min/max for charities up to the Publisher.

That way the customer does get a choice but it's up to the publishers to be as charitable or dickish as possible.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
How about giving, oh I dunno, 30% to shitty customer-raping publishers, 10% to Humble, and 60% to whatever charity (or -ies) they're partnered with?
The charities need the cash more than the rapists do.
Yeah! Grrrrr, damn those companies for funding and bringing us games that we love!! Grrrr

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And just like that, Humble turned into literally every other shitty digital storefront ever
I don't recall any other online store even give away a single penny to Charities.... when was last time companies like Blizzard, STEAM, Origin, GOG or even EGS give charities? at least Humble give away 15%. don't be dickhead and complain on every thing.

SaulFemm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about giving, oh I dunno, 30% to shitty customer-raping publishers, 10% to Humble, and 60% to whatever charity (or -ies) they're partnered with?
The charities need the cash more than the rapists do.

Maybe because they have to attract companies to list their games on their store or else they'll go out of business. Also that's a huge trivialization of a serious issue.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I agree. I ain't HAPPY that it can't be 33-33-33 or the sort, but at least SOMETHING is still going to Charities. Humble on its face seems like it was hemorrhaging money for either publishers or humble itself, so this isn't *all* bad all around, and it should open new bundles to pop up as the publishers are guaranteed at least something.

This feels like a painful necessity... not something to be happy about though for certain.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think it's such a catastrophe tbh
I was always wondering how tf could they still be alive if everyone kept giving everything to charities. Now we know.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/