Human's fatal flaw

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tinymonkeyt, Mar 25, 2008.

Mar 25, 2008

Human's fatal flaw by tinymonkeyt at 6:57 AM (1,742 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. tinymonkeyt
    OP

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    i know we have one, or many for that matter
    what do YOU think is our fatal flaw?

2. Try2bcool

Member Try2bcool GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Blind faith in anything is a fatal flaw.

People will blindly follow; world leaders, religious leaders, celebrities, writers, scientists, GOD(s), idiots on message boards, etc...

We should each shape our own destiny and control our own fate...not let it be controlled by someone else.

3. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Human nature is fine. The only problem is the few of us who have a unusually destructive and corrupt nature.

these people are stupid, but without blind followers how will the good leaders be able to maintain a healthy society.

4. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Building on what Try2bcool said, fear is our fatal flaw. Blind faith is what leads to this flaw so his point is valid as well but tell me how many times a day you see someone or some medium attempting to invoke fear in society? Too much. We've got the government, the media, religion and so on and so on. Fear is what keeps us in line sadly and until we stand up for ourselves and refuse to believe the propaganda protrayed by these guilty parties, fear will be our downfall.

5. Dio

Member Dio WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

United States
    Humans are selfish, or just lazy/inconsiderate =/ Or even unable to think ahead. They never really take into consideration of how their actions/inactions will have an effect on outcomes and the consequences that come with them. Especially when these events will effect OTHER people.

6. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    shitposting.

shitposting is man's greatest flaw

7. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Personally, I believe our greatest flaw is our desperate race toward self-destruction ... how we, as a species, continue to survive astonishes me.

We deliberately, and constantly, choose paths that we fully well know will lead us to our doom, yet we don't seem to care.

Almost everything we create now is laced with elements that will do us more harm than good.

Take the internet, for example ... it makes us doubt everything ... the more time we spend online, the more skeptical we become of everything we are told by our fellow men.

Every time anyone says anything online, proof is demanded, and when proof does not immediately manifest itself, we decry the teller ... and we lose a little more of ourselves.

A tool that spreads great knowledge, and promotes interaction amongst all the people of the world, has become the harbinger of mental and physical isolationism.

It has become a weapon for the corrupt and the degenerate to break our hopes, dreams and beliefs ... it makes us less and less trusting, and warps our perception of honesty and decency.

Where once all we had to worry about was horrific images on the evening news, tales of despair told around the water cooler, urban legends learned from friends and family ... now we have an interactive darkness of the spirit.

Gone are the days when we could live in some kind of blissful ignorance, only aware of the demons who had tormented us and ours ... direct and indirect personal experiences, dusted with fragments of the glimpsed pain of others ... now we are made aware of every evil under the sun ... not only made aware, but told how close those evils are to those we hold dear.

8. User200

Member User200 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    this might not be the right topic to post it but what the heck...

man's fatal flaw is 2 brains and not enough blood to run them both at the same time

9. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    If this wasn't the right place to post that and also completely off-topic, why bother?

10. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Our fatal flaw is that we think we are superiour beings with no one to answer too. In other words, lack of religion.
    I don't believe that its blind faith. Whats killing us is people with blind faith AND power/money. Those are the people who cause harm and give all others who believe in things all the way a bad name. As if we're delusional. But we're being taken advantage of and thats not our fault.

Just think about it. When a child does something wrong and no one punishes him, won't he keep doing what he's doing? Yet when he is punished by his parent, doesn't he become a better person? Or when his parent tells him that he did a good thing, doesn't that make his perception skewed? He'll believe his parent no matter what anyone says so if he does the same thing anywhere else, he'll believe he's right. Even if someone else told him its wrong.

I believe that people wouldn't kill so much or do all the things they do if they believed they were going to be judged after their death by their actions.

11. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    I disagree - provided your being rational about it all, blind faith is fine. Besides, even in religion (or, at least, the one I'm in), we can control our own destiny/fate anyway. It's just that god was one for us and we can chose to do that if we want to, but it's still our choice.

12. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    ROFL

hear hear, this man speaks truth

13. DarkUli

Member DarkUli GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    One of our flaws, you mean.

While what most people said is true, I think someone forgot to mention yet another flaw.

We only value what's really dear to us when we lose it.

14. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Without the chance of loss, there is no value.

15. DarkUli

Member DarkUli GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Hmmhmm~
    That's true too.

I also agree on the "race to self-destruction". It's really sad on how we can never get along, some of us provide solutions to save us, and others, blinded by power and economics, refuse those solutions and create such hazardous harm. =/

16. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    PROOF CONFIRMING THIS IS NEEDED

17. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    In my opinion, it is percieving something as the absolute truth. We should never blindly believe something is true, without looking at it from all sides and forming our own opinions. Even after we've done that, we should always take things with a grain of salt, even be it things as basic as gravitational laws or complex like existential philosophical questions.

If I confused you, watch the 'How It All Ends' series on YouTube. The series itself is about global warming, but covers a great deal of errors people make, when making presumptions. And remember to think for yourself, don't be influenced by video -- it's just there to help you think, not to tell you what to think.

18. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I think that the greatest human flaw is the fact that we question our flaws. For centuries we have questioned our actions. Doing something that's worth 5 minutes and questioning for 2 years. Does a monkey ask it self why it scratches it's ass? NO! So I say do more, ask less. We will be more productive this way.

19. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    We are still here, so I wouldn't say we have a "fatal flaw"

But I did just watch The Mist, so I think I can comment on a couple.

Ironically, it is our survival instincts, and what people will do to each other for their own lives.

20. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    The fact that there's an apostrophe error in the title of this topic. Unless that you meant that one Human has a fatal flaw.

On the internet, most humans' fatal flaw is that they lose the ability to read...