Hacking Huge exploit found on firmware 3.0.0: smhax

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand your concern, however on nintendo systems to date people have always found a way sooner or later. Their piracy protection just isn't as up to date as sonys or microsoft, which for the most part need soldering to get the same effect. Nintendo gc, wii, wii u, 3ds have all been homebrewed, and on the plus side an entry point into the Switch has already been found this early on into its life, which cant be said for all its predecessors. I would say the odds of another hack on higher firmware would have a 95%+ probability and that would be from a pessimistic point of view, Im more inclined to lean towards 99%+. Firmware updates at this early on in a consoles life also generally improves stability and compatibility aswell as adding useful new features. So by keeping a lower firmware its very likely your gimping your console. If your really paranoid nothing will come out in the future then I can understand your point of view, but given the current progress and Nintendos past personally I'm not worried.
I have 2 systems. One will remain legit for games and the other will be dedicated to homebrew.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand your concern, however on nintendo systems to date people have always found a way sooner or later. Their piracy protection just isn't as up to date as sonys or microsoft, which for the most part need soldering to get the same effect. Nintendo gc, wii, wii u, 3ds have all been homebrewed, and on the plus side an entry point into the Switch has already been found this early on into its life, which cant be said for all its predecessors. I would say the odds of another hack on higher firmware would have a 95%+ probability and that would be from a pessimistic point of view, Im more inclined to lean towards 99%+. Firmware updates at this early on in a consoles life also generally improves stability and compatibility aswell as adding useful new features. So by keeping a lower firmware its very likely your gimping your console. If your really paranoid nothing will come out in the future then I can understand your point of view, but given the current progress and Nintendos past personally I'm not worried.
The switch is a different story though, as this time the security wasn't entirely up to Nintendo, and they've learned a lot about ways to prevent exploits.
The old days of Nintendo console hacking are coming to an end with the switch. This console's security is looking more like other modern consoles. It will likely be similar to ps3, ps4 and vita where only a specific firmware set is hackable.
That kind of thinking was brought on by the 3ds, wii and wii u. But this console is a completely different beast. If the devs are saying this console is much more tight with "beautiful cryptography", i would believe then rather than those who aren't working in the console saying "we'll get exploits on latest firmware eventually"
Edit: And I'm not saying it's impossible for future firmwares to be hacked, but at this point most devs are ignoring anything higher than 3.00 for now. Future exploits isn't a question of when, but if. And if they do happen, it likely won't be for a while, long after 3.0 and under gets cool things made for it.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got one of those half dead pixels that constantly shifts color, don't try to fix it by pressing the screen. I completely killed the pixel. In my country we have a 45 days open purchase policy, at least from this specific company so I can return my second switch without having to give any reason and get another one.

MatMaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you've got one of those half dead pixels that constantly shifts color, don't try to fix it by pressing the screen. I completely killed the pixel. In my country we have a 45 days open purchase policy, at least from this specific company so I can return my second switch without having to give any reason and get another one.

what

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My second switch that came with firmware 1.0 had a few pixels that are changing colors when you turn the console around. Like a rainbow effect. It's so subtle that I decided to live with it but I wanted to try to press on the screen to revive the "stuck pixels" or whatever. I only managed to completely kill it leaving a dead dark pixel.

Proust

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
My second switch that came with firmware 1.0 had a few pixels that are changing colors when you turn the console around. Like a rainbow effect. It's so subtle that I decided to live with it but I wanted to try to press on the screen to revive the "stuck pixels" or whatever. I only managed to completely kill it leaving a dead dark pixel.

Dude, why don't you go and change it? It's within your rights to replace this product by a non-defect one -_-

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course I'm going to have it returned. Like I wrote, 45 days open purchase. I already e-mailed them yesterday. This won't be a problem.

Reactions: Proust

Captain Library

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How many people are actually gambling on keeping a second system at 3.0.0 or below in the hope that this leads to something? I'm tempted to get one to squirrel away but it's a lot of coin to gamble on the possibility of sweet, sweet homebrew.

D

Deleted-355425

How many people are actually gambling on keeping a second system at 3.0.0 or below in the hope that this leads to something? I'm tempted to get one to squirrel away but it's a lot of coin to gamble on the possibility of sweet, sweet homebrew.

I am, £279 isnt alot of money if you have a job lol.

Reactions: Tsubakiandou

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sm:h is a pretty insane vulnerability. It will take some time, but we can be pretty damn sure this will lead to good things.

D

Deleted-355425

Try having a mortgage, heh.

I have a mortgage.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

edit: i know what you are saying but what i mean is people can do some overtime or cash in hand work to pay for one and the £279 is easy to clear if you really want one.

Reactions: Tsubakiandou

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a job, but between a wife and two kids I'm not sure I can afford a second Switch to stick in the closet on the off-chance I'll be able to play yet another port of Retroarch on the thing.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm only confident about one thing. It sure as hell isn't a gamble. The hacks will come. Yeah, maybe there will be other exploits later but I just want to be sure with this efuse thing.

D

Deleted-355425

I'm only confident about one thing. It sure as hell isn't a gamble. The hacks will come. Yeah, maybe there will be other exploits later but I just want to be sure with this efuse thing.

Oh aye they will come alright, buy one while you can.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I have a mortgage.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

edit: i know what you are saying but what i mean is people can do some overtime or cash in hand work to pay for one and the £279 is easy to clear if you really want one.
I'm just being snarky. But you're right, diligence knows no debt.

Captain Library

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did it. I'm blaming you.

Traded in my 3G/Wifi Vita for £76 and the memory card for £33, against a new Switch at £280. I actually made a profit on the Vita having bought it for £50 on Gumtree... always trust strangers on the internet. I never really used the Vita and it was too high a FW for homebrew. Now I can have a Switch sit in the dark instead, dreaming its of homebrew potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters