Huck Finn

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Hakoda, May 10, 2011.

May 10, 2011

Huck Finn by Hakoda at 5:09 PM (711 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Hakoda
    OP

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    So we're doing a trial on the book of Huck Finn and I got the side of arguing for the book's expulsion. Obviously, it's easier to argue the other side but I have no choice and need more solid points. Can anyone give me some reasons for banning the book?

This should not be causing racial controversy here on the Temp, just looking for some different perspectives on banning it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rogue_Ninja

Member Rogue_Ninja GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There are no good reasons for banning the book. Its just a word it has no power over anything. If we start banning or changing books because of supposed offensive words where will it end. Eventually they will take Muggle out of Harry Potter books.

3. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    I think by banning the book he meant removing it from the school library, which would make sense. Sure it is a great literary classic, but some parts of it are probably best not taught.

4. Rogue_Ninja

United States

Why its a great piece of American Literature. Over the word [censored]. Its just a word. They actually wanna replace it with the word slave which is by far more offensive. My point is if you start banning books now wheres it gonna end. Might as well start book burning parties. People just want attention. Saying it should not be taught is like saying the Civil war shouldnt be taught or maybe we should skip teaching about the holocaust cause it might offend someone.

5. deathking

Member deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You dont have to agree or disagree if its just a debate on it .

i would argue racism was the reason for banning - n word and the way they make Jim look and act are the main points.

Now the N word can be argued that was the language of the time but the way jim looks can be attributable to his up bringing , his slavery , schooling or his race and that the problem .
    However he is one of hucks best freinds in the book and subsequent books which no one seems too fussed about the other books just huck finn.

6. Rogue_Ninja

United States
    I have to say calling it the N word is just as ridiculous as the word itself. I have plenty of black friends and I cant count the number of times they have called me a [censored]. Its just a word but by letting it offend you,you are giving that word power.

(side note. I may have missed the whole point of debate. I just get angry over banning or changing of books for such trivial matters)