Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
_81321634_htcvive_black.jpg
Valve's VR headset will be out by Christmas 2015, the company announced yesterday.

The HTC Vive headset has higher specs than the rival Ocolus Rift, including a pair of 1200 x 1080 displays that can run video at 90 FPS. For comparison, the Oculus Rift DK2 has a single 1080p screen that freshes at 75 FPS.

The device will be paired with wireless controllers and tracking technology to let wearers explore computer-generated environments by walking round their rooms.
A test version of the kit will go on sale to developers shortly, followed by a public edition later this year.

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

:arrow:Official Site

Reactions: XDel

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder what a dev kit will cost, or if it will be nerfed like the Oculus dev kits. I have been holding back until things get to this kind of level until I make some things for various clients, if this is somewhere in consumer price range (rather than "if sir has to ask" ranges for similarly potent industrial/medical intended stuff) then I might have a busy couple of months.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Excited to find out more about the SteamVR platform and how compatible it will be with the oculus rift.
With details of GLnext tomorrow I expect VR to be a big component.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, hopefully with all this competition the general prices for VR headsets will be pretty "low", which would be pretty nice.

I will have to do a bill of materials for one of these headsets some time, originally I would have looked at the screens but looking at the prices for a replacement phone screen/tablet screen* (even with the associated markups) it is pretty low and a basic decoder module does not seem to go for much.

*several of the interviews with people doing work on these devices often tell stories of how they saw a fancy new phone come out with a nice screen, bought a bunch of them and gave them to their electrical engineers to figure out to use in prototyping.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I will have to do a bill of materials for one of these headsets some time, originally I would have looked at the screens but looking at the prices for a replacement phone screen/tablet screen* (even with the associated markups) it is pretty low and a basic decoder module does not seem to go for much.

*several of the interviews with people doing work on these devices often tell stories of how they saw a fancy new phone come out with a nice screen, bought a bunch of them and gave them to their electrical engineers to figure out to use in prototyping.

If you do, check out Razer's VR headset, they announced a price point of $200 for their own dev kit. http://www.razerzone.com/osvr

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shipping June and houses a 1080p (albeit at 60fps, not a problem for me but might be for some) screen... might have to hope some find their way into the hands of resellers that do not stick too great a markup on them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards