HTC Vive Price Announced: $799

The HTC Vive, Valve and HTC's own entry into the VR world, has officially been priced and it's not cheap. The Consumer Edition will cost a whopping $799, a whole ~$200 more than the Oculus Rift, however when buying the Vive you'll also receive two of their motion controllers.

Pre-orders for the VR headset will start on February 29th, and is expected to ship and sell commercially in April 2016. The Vive comes with the headset, the room sensor, and two controllers, and for a limited time if you purchase the HTC Vive you'll receive two games; Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption.

:arrow: Source

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
Anyone wanna buy a kidney? Cause I don't seem to own money for the rig and the device.

Besides sarcasm I was already aware that first gen vr will be expensive to own tho.

Digs the trash to find a piece of cardboard...

Reactions: nxwing and T-hug

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want this and the first batch comes out early April. second (from what I heard) is July... I won't have the money by a weeks time (when pre-orders come up) but July is a bit too far... I guarantee they'll be sold out within the hour...
Damn, decisions. Could always go credit card route but...

Damn financial responsibilities

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
I really want this and the first batch comes out early April. second (from what I heard) is July... I won't have the money by a weeks time (when pre-orders come up) but July is a bit too far... I guarantee they'll be sold out within the hour...
Damn, decisions. Could always go credit card route but...

Damn financial responsibilities

more like damn shitty jobs and no savings -.-

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's new consumer technology, easily the biggest tech advancement ever since the implementation of polygons. And it also happens to require much higher specs.
Early adoption will cost money. You shouldn't expect to own new tech at day-one as a casual/occasional consumer, nor want to, to be honest.

Wait until VR becomes mainstream and these will drop to $200. If you aren't a super-duper enthusiast, don't even bother considering one. You'll blow $800 to play a very limited choice of games with unoptimized settings for a few hours. VR game design is also essentially non-existing right now, we don't even know how to make good VR games for most genres. Why would you want one right now unless you were filthy rich.

People do impulse buying too much these days.

Reactions: chartube12

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's new consumer technology, easily the biggest tech advancement ever since the implementation of polygons. And it also happens to require much higher specs.
Early adoption will cost money. You shouldn't expect to own new tech at day-one as a casual/occasional consumer, nor want to, to be honest.

Wait until VR becomes mainstream and these will drop to $200. If you aren't a super-duper enthusiast, don't even bother considering one. You'll blow $800 to play a very limited choice of games with unoptimized settings for a few hours. VR game design is also essentially non-existing right now, we don't even know how to make good VR games for most genres. Why would you want one right now unless you were filthy rich.

Mainly because a lot of us are computer enthusiasts.

Yes bang for buck is low, but without us enthusiasts, technology advancements such as these would practically non existent since there's no market to sell to.

We tend to purchase new technology because it's our hobby and what we enjoy spending money on. And due to us, companies are able to take risks in starting a new advancement or trend and eventually bring down the price.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

The Vive offers much more then the Rift.
As for Games i dont really care, i would use the Vive for Elite Dangerous only.
That is actually a game i put a lot time in already and still love to play it.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
While I think early adopters for video games are silly, I love the fact that there are price insensitive customers who will buy things like the Vive and Rift regardless of the price at the start. If it weren't for these rich SOB's, the rest of us wouldn't have the luxury of being able to wait for a price cut or the used market to come into play.

That said, I'm most likely skipping the first generation of VR (unless PSVR becomes affordable and worth it in the future). I don't really see the appeal to it just yet. I know there's potential and I know it's probably the future... But the future can wait a few years for me.

Edit: On another note, I'm pretty trypophobic so those pods on the Vive are creepy to me. Stay away from me, technology of Satan!

Reactions: frogboy

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Hoooooly shit, that price is fucking ridiculous. Who honestly thought among HTC execs that pricing something at $800 would get it to sell? It's just confirming the stereotype of net technology being expensive as fuck and VR being an expensive gimmick.

Not that I expect a VR headset this early to be cheap, but goddamn, at least sell it for $500 max.

Last edited by endoverend,

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whelp... 2 down, 1 to go...
Unless PS VR comes in at a sane price, first generation isnt for me...
$800 US... thats like... straight ridic...

Its not like i cant run it... i have a 3770/980/ssd/16gb etc.... but that runs everything i love..

I have yet to see anything on VR that makes me say "OMG I MUST"
at the end of the day, its about the games and experiences.

I hope the price entries dont cripple this like it did 3D.

By the time 3D was affordable, nobody wanted to develop on it.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they forgot the part:

"799$ + A blowjob by everyone who developed it."

But, fuck it. It'll drop in price in the coming years, hell, OLED and 3D TV's cost nothing compared to when they first came out, so, just wait. It'll drop in price.

Last edited by DKB,

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I still don't see the draw of VR. Visuals of video games have been enhanced for years and years; it's not the visual believability that breaks the illusion of a virtual world in the games of today, it's the lack of physical feedback. I don't see why I would ever want to pay a cent to essentially have the right analogue controls of a game rigged to my neck, much less 800 bloody dollars. All it would get me is a stiff neck and nostalgia for the days of simply tilting a thumb to look around. Even if you did love the idea of neck/head based motion controls, what would this device really afford you by way of gameplay? Nothing new, as far as I can see. Looking around is as old as 3D games.

Last edited by Meteor7,
Reactions: tbb043

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I still don't see the draw of VR. Visuals of video games have been enhanced for years and years; it's not the visual believability that breaks the illusion of a virtual world in the games of today, it's the lack of physical feedback. I don't see why I would ever want to pay a cent to essentially have the right analogue controls of a game rigged to my neck, much less 800 bloody dollars. All it would get me is a stiff neck and nostalgia for the days of simply tilting a thumb to look around.
It's pretty great for emulating a cinema. Also people who can't shut up about immersion in games probably jizz every time there are VR news.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't see the draw of VR. Visuals of video games have been enhanced for years and years; it's not the visual believability that breaks the illusion of a virtual world in the games of today, it's the lack of physical feedback. I don't see why I would ever want to pay a cent to essentially have the right analogue controls of a game rigged to my neck, much less 800 bloody dollars. All it would get me is a stiff neck and nostalgia for the days of simply tilting a thumb to look around. Even if you did love the idea of neck/head based motion controls, what would this device really afford you by way of gameplay? Nothing new, as far as I can see. Looking around is as old as 3D games.
Have you actually used any of the modern VR or even VR in general? I haven't, but I'm sure it is more than "neck motion controls".

Not saying this isn't expensive even with all the extra stuff, because wow, it is, but you are down playing VR a bit to much.
I think most people going to have to stick with Phone VR until the prices come down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.