HTC VIVE Air is an award-winning, fitness-focused VR headset concept

htc vive.JPG

VR titles like Beat Saber and Fit XR can get you sweating like from a real workout and have become an attractive alternative to physical gyms during the pandemic. So it might not come as a surprise if a VR headset manufacturer were to release a fitness-focused headset. After images of the so-called HTC VIVE Air appeared on the World Design Guide website for winning a design award, several outlets reported it as a "leak" for an unannounced VR headset from HTC. Some further speculated that it would likely be officially revealed by the company during ViveCon 2021 held between May 11th-12th.

The World Design Guide awards entry for the HTC VIVE Air has a launch window of 2021 and reads the following:

VIVE Air VR headset is specially designed for virtual fitness, optimized for high intensity with long use. Inspired by sports shoes, the new headset introduces knitted materials to VR to provide unprecedented comfort and fit. The breathable and quick-drying fabrics improve ventilation in the heated exercise. The innovative lightweight structure allows users to forget the presence of the head-mounted display to focus on virtual content. The quick-release design allows the removal of ergonomic soft components for washing.

vive air.jpg

vive air 2.jpg vive air 3.jpg vive air 4.jpg

However, speaking to Engadget after those "leak" reports, an HTC spokesperson clarified that the design is "only a concept" whose elements might be reflected in their future products:

It's exciting to see our concept piece, the VIVE Air VR headset, win an iF Design Award. While this is only a concept, the design language has elements and inspirations you'll see elsewhere in our products. We're not ones to rest on our laurels, so although it's great to win this award, we have business to attend to - hopefully we'll see you on 11/12 May at VIVECON.

While it's only a concept, would you like to see a VR headset designed for fitness purposes?

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: Xzi and Mama Looigi

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except lockdown exists and most people live in a small apartment...

My lord, how ever did man kind make it this far with adaptive virus' and all. You'd think we'd have perished years ago, being as fragile as we are, and seeing as Nature just can't be trusted to do what it does best.

Most will have died inside long before any virus gets to them, and I can assure you, these lock downs in the name of PANIC have ruined and taken more lives than that Covid has came near to to date.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bruh, i just want a vr headset specifically for Alyx, but i also don't want to spend $1200 for a specialized display for a single game, either. Everything oculus is out because of the mandatory Facebook thing. And my only expeirence with the OG vive, having all thay latency for having all the extra optional sensors, made me more dizzy than any thing.

PS vr was decidedly low res and snappy, but that means nothing if I can't use it for Alyx. Because, let's be real, Sony would rather be forced to exit the industry than allow anyone to not have to buy a PlayStation to use their headset.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Bruh, i just want a vr headset specifically for Alyx, but i also don't want to spend $1200 for a specialized display for a single game, either. Everything oculus is out because of the mandatory Facebook thing. And my only expeirence with the OG vive, having all thay latency for having all the extra optional sensors, made me more dizzy than any thing.

PS vr was decidedly low res and snappy, but that means nothing if I can't use it for Alyx. Because, let's be real, Sony would rather be forced to exit the industry than allow anyone to not have to buy a PlayStation to use their headset.
If you have a PSVR headset, there’s a way to use it for PCVR

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a PSVR headset, there’s a way to use it for PCVR
I don't have one of my own. The requirement to have a Sony console turned me off to it. Like, i could tell it was pretty low res and kind of on the blurry side, but i didn't have any latency issues with it. And since nobody has any other form of vr headset to try out in any shape or form, can't really determine if any of them aren't completely horrible.

That said, I'd definitely feel less burned if i only had to spend ~$250 usd for a satisfactory headset to play Alyx than $1200 for the index, or $700 for the vive + all the required add-on modules to make it halfway precise.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I don't have one of my own. The requirement to have a Sony console turned me off to it. Like, i could tell it was pretty low res and kind of on the blurry side, but i didn't have any latency issues with it. And since nobody has any other form of vr headset to try out in any shape or form, can't really determine if any of them aren't completely horrible.

That said, I'd definitely feel less burned if i only had to spend ~$250 usd for a satisfactory headset to play Alyx than $1200 for the index, or $700 for the vive + all the required add-on modules to make it halfway precise.
So the Quest 2 is out of the question for you?

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A workout based headset? I'd try it. Still need to look into and compare current VR headsets (not like my broke sorry ass can afford it lol)

Shardnax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some of these features sound like a decent idea for VR headsets in general but as a fitness product it seems dumb.

My lord, how ever did man kind make it this far with adaptive virus' and all. You'd think we'd have perished years ago, being as fragile as we are, and seeing as Nature just can't be trusted to do what it does best.

Most will have died inside long before any virus gets to them, and I can assure you, these lock downs in the name of PANIC have ruined and taken more lives than that Covid has came near to to date.
It's a wonder how some people live day to day without suffering a mental breakdown. Reminds me of Chicken Little :wacko:.

Reactions: XDel

tifanyquarters4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks funny to me, but if it helps you exercise, then why not. It would be really inconvenient to exercise in something like that, even if it is wireless. Anyways, if it helps you, there is nothing bad about that. You must follow your feelings to determine what makes you feel better and healthier. I would also suggest taking some supplements, in this case, to make the result more visible. You can follow my example and get peptides from paradigmpeptides.com. These supplements are simpler than proteins and are easier for your body to process. Therefore it is better for beginners and will help you see some results faster.

Last edited by tifanyquarters4,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended