HP reveals its new VR headset, the Reverb G2, and opens for pre-orders

hp reverb.JPG

HP just announced the next iteration of its headset that lets you step into another reality, the virtual reality. Developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft, the HP Reverb G2 is a $599 VR headset planned to release this fall. It features speakers and lenses designed by Valve and offers a resolution of 2160 x 2160 per eye through its LCD panels. It comes with a 6 meter cable, 4 built-in cameras for tracking and a pair of controllers that seem inspired from the Oculus'.

To satisfy your VR gaming needs, the device is compatible with both SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality.

HP made a handy specs comparison chart to better gauge how the Reverb G2 stacks up agains the competition. More details are available in the official page linked below.

comp chart.JPG

The HP Reverb G2 is available to pre-order at $599 now via the official page, slated for a release this fall.

:arrow: HP Reverb G2 Official Website

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2160 square resolution on 2.89" displays is really impressive and is going to have very little screen door. However, no SteamVR tracking is a big letdown because it means using the Index controllers is going to be difficult and possibly hacky. Also, 90hz is mediocre.

It's also kind of funny how the comparison chart only fits 3 headsets at once, and you need to scroll to see the others, and they put the main competitor, the Valve Index, at the very end so that you can't actually compare them side by side. Also, for refresh rate on the Index they wrote "up to 144hz", but didn't write "up to 90hz" for any of the others.:teach:

Last edited by diggeloid,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a Oculus Quest for the walking dead VR game and Half Life VR... And while it was fun for a few weeks... Or so I've not touched it since.. I think the best VR game is Pavlov.. It's basically COD VR... It's cool and all but VR Just doesn't feel ready yet... Bit gimmicky.. But also a bit of fun to watch others play around with it..

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got an Oculus Quest and I love it. It's the only VR set I've used other than my phone so I can't compare it to a higher end wired set. At first it did feel a little low rez but after a short time I just accepted that's how the "world" looks and it wasn't a problem. What I'm actually posting about though is the remote desktop app. With the app I can play Steam VR wireless with my Quest. I think that is something that should be focused on with VR helmets. Basicaly make them thin clients that can be used with a PC or console. Not everyone will have great wifi like me but with wifi 6 coming out shortly and then extra radio bandwith being given to wifi soon the abilities of wifi networks are about to explode.

Last edited by qqq1,

Mcall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a shame that it's still using windows mixed reality. I might of upgraded to this if it was cheaper than the index and I could use the knuckle controllers I already have. Using windows mixed reality also means no linux compatibility, which is a bit of a deal-breaker for me I guess.

It is awesome that more people will be able to hear how good the Index speakers apparently sound, assuming that valve designed speakers means it's using the index's. Higher quality VR at a lower starting price is never a bad thing, even if it's not for me.

It's also kind of funny how the comparison chart only fits 3 headsets at once, and you need to scroll to see the others, and they put the main competitor, the Valve Index, at the very end so that you can't actually compare them side by side. Also, for refresh rate on the Index they wrote "up to 144hz", but didn't write "up to 90hz" for any of the others.:teach:
That's because the 144hz is still an experimental feature on the Index if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Mcall,

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
there are more comparisons on the website ( Samsung Odyssey VR Headset, Oculus Quest, Vive Cosmos, Valve Index) but they all don't fit one screen and there's a slider to compare with those.
So it's got some more pixels, less refresh rate and a worse tracking system?

That's what I'm seeing based on the comparison at least.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...And the best part is that it has the capability of doing your homework for you! :P

I wish just once - just once! - some major tech corp would make one that runs on Linux. Natively. As in, Linux in the headset and compatible with Linux on your PC. Just saying.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Looks good. If the inside out tracking works as well as it supposedly does on the Rift S and Quest I'll definitely consider getting one of these.
No mention of FOV though? I assume it's not improved if it's not mentioned, which is a pity.
I'll wait to watch Linus gyrating and waggling to see if it's worth it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's 90Hz.
90 is good enough, even according to Linus.
Nice resolution boost but we need to start seeing improvements to FOV and screen refresh rates. This just feels like more of the same.
Might want to have a look at Pimax. Linus slaughtered an early version of it complaining about screen warping towards the edges that made him sick but later on gave a newer prototype a try and said it was a big improvement. They haven't yet released a consumer version I think so hopefully once they do it won't have any of the teething issues of the early versions. It promises a pretty insane FOV (170 degrees horizontal/130 degrees vertical) and might be a game changer if it works well.
The Rift controllers are probably fine, but I'd really like to see an option for controllers with individual finger control like Valve's Knuckles controllers, even if it adds another $100 to the cost. I guess you probably can't buy them separately from Valve unless you also buy lighthouses, since they're not designed to work with inside out tracking.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Mcall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...And the best part is that it has the capability of doing your homework for you! :P

I wish just once - just once! - some major tech corp would make one that runs on Linux. Natively. As in, Linux in the headset and compatible with Linux on your PC. Just saying.

Valve headsets and native steam vr headsets in on Linux ootb.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over