HP Laptop barely boots/installs ANY OS

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by olec04, Jun 28, 2016.

1. olec04
    OP

olec04 Working on Project Heaven!

Banned
    Apr 10, 2015
    United States
    Trying to downgrade on 11.0 via AM services
    I try to install Ubuntu (System freezes for like 30 mins then uncompression error system halted) everything else freezes! When i try to install win7 (original os) it says i cant use that hd! every other linux distro and stuff freezes any reccomendations? Been trying to fix this pc for like a year or a couple months ;) I came to gbatemp since everyone here answers quick :P :D any suggestions/answers? EDIT: the only os that works is extremely slow loading PORTEUS! (live cd only)

Last edited by olec04, Jun 28, 2016
  2. tedmg091309131

tedmg091309131 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    It sounds like it might be a hard drive issue. What size and model is the drive? Also what is the HP model #?

3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    As mentioned, it does sound like the hard drive for that laptop is practically dead. An educated guess would be that the "uncompression error" would be from the drive encountering an IO error whilst trying to unpack one of the OS data stores, and Windows 7 refusing to use the drive probably means the drive's SMART status is reporting too many errors to be used as a system drive.

My suggestion if you really want to get the laptop running, is buy another HDD or even a SDD (the performance gain is usually worth it in laptops).

4. olec04
    OP

olec04 Working on Project Heaven!

Banned
    Apr 10, 2015
    United States
    Trying to downgrade on 11.0 via AM services