HOWTO: Replace PAL Tekken 3 with NTSC on PSClassic

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by subcon959, Feb 16, 2019.

1. subcon959
    OP

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Are you saying the PSC doesn't boot up anymore or that specific game doesn't boot up?

2. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm so high, I don't even know!
    Sorry, I should've clarified. The game boots to the PlayStation splash screen but there is no text underneath it and it just sits on that screen until I power down the console.

The console boots fine and so do the other 19 games, just not Tekken 3. And overconfident(stupid) me didn't make a backup of the gaadata folder but I have another PSC that is untouched so I have the gaadata folder backup now. Just trying to get it to work with the NTSC copy.

Last edited by BL4Z3D247, Jun 13, 2019
  3. subcon959
    OP

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    The name comes from the database so if it's not showing any text then either the database entry is wrong or the filenames don't match. Actually, nevermind I just realised you meant no text under the splash screen. In that case did you try the bin/cue files in a Windows emulator first to see if they actually work?

Last edited by subcon959, Jun 13, 2019
  4. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    OK, so I got it working on my girlfriend's PSC, I'm going to copy the bin/cue files and transfer them over to my PSC, that should do the trick.

Not sure exactly why the files I created didn't work on mine, did it the same way for her PSC as I did for mine.

Guide couldn't have been easier to follow, thanks again for the write-up.

5. ElTacoDestroyer

ElTacoDestroyer Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2019
    United States
    just a question: but is the ps1classic worth the hassle?
    asking for those who actually have it/hands on experience.

i would rather own that then the nes or snes classic.

6. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    What hassle? It's not difficult to hack.

Hacking-wise, it's a no-brainer, $30 and you get a mini console with 2 controllers that can play multiple systems very well.

Last edited by BL4Z3D247, Jun 15, 2019
    ElTacoDestroyer likes this.
  7. Savior-X

Savior-X Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Excellent. I've replaced most games and added a few more. I made sure the total filesize = the original total. I tried Gex 2 and controls don't work. I guess analog games are a no go.

8. Jonesy47

Jonesy47 GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Ok, so i followed all of your directions to a T.
    I now have all ntsc versions of games on my Playstation Classic.

BUT.

I now have useless duplicate icons for retroarch and the boot menu.
    At first, I just used your guide and an extra icon for each showed up on the blemsync carousel. There would be an actual icon that worked and then one with no box art or graphic that wont boot anything when clicked on.

I proceeded to follow your guide for the rest of the pal games and now i have TWO useless icons per boot menu and retroarch. So, one icon for the boot menu and then two duplicates that do nothing and the same for retroarch.

I was just wondering if you have any idea on how to fix this?
    I have tried editing the regional.db but they keep showing back up.
    Please help me!!

edit: Heres a pic of what Im talking about.
    [​IMG]
    20190619_090852.

Last edited by Jonesy47, Jun 19, 2019
  9. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    Did you make a backup of the gaadata folder and the regional.db file before attempting this?

10. Jonesy47

Jonesy47 GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Yes. Restoring the backup of regional.db does nothing. The two extra icons remain. I assume the information lies elsewhere in the playstation classic.

11. subcon959
    OP

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    As stated near the beginning the guide was written for Bleemsync 1.0. I haven't updated my PSC since then so I'm not sure what changes they've made. There was no RetroArch icon back then so I assume you've tried this on a newer version? I can't offer any tips until I get a chance to update and look through the files.

12. Jonesy47

Jonesy47 GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    You have made the correct assumption. Instead of using 1.0, I used the most recent bleemsync, 1.1. If you notice any reason why this might be happening, please let me know!!
    Everything else in this guide worked perfectly. I really really wish I could get rid of these extra icons.

Thank you for any help you or others could offer me.

Last edited by Jonesy47, Jun 19, 2019
  13. Jonesy47

Jonesy47 GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    ok, so up date. Though I used the new bleemsync, my question pertains to editing regional.db. Feel free to ignore me if you cant or dont want to help.

While looking at my current version of the regional.db, i found that when I'm in the browse data tab, if I shift down from the DISC table to the GAME table, I see this:
    problem.

and there are my two entries of boot menu. Further down the list are my two entries for retroarch.
    THE PROBLEM is that DB Browser for SQLite doesn't seem to let me edit the GAME table? See how the New Record and Delete Record options are greyed out?
    So, the real question now is, how do I edit the GAME table? Again, any help you or anyone else could provide would be wonderful, thank you!! Your guide was a lot of help!

14. subcon959
    OP

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I can't reproduce that but it sounds like a OS file permission problem rather than anything else. Make sure the file isn't being used or locked by another app or try making a copy of it and editing that. Maybe it's been set to read-only and you have to change it back? I'm not sure.

15. ShadowCloud

ShadowCloud Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2019
    United States
    I need some help please. I followed your instructions exactly, but Tekken 3 NTSC will not start. When I try to run it from the PlayStation Classic Bleemsync GUI, it doesn't do anything. Meanwhile I try to run it from "Internal" on Retroarch, it gives me the error of "File could not be loaded from playlist." I did the database edit right so I'm not sure why? If I load the game directly through "Load content", the game starts normally. What is going on?

16. subcon959
    OP

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    The problem is nearly always either the database or file permissions so double check those.

17. ShadowCloud

ShadowCloud Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2019
    United States
    How do I change my file permissions? I tried doing it with the right click, but was told I wasn't allowed. Also I noticed that the files I uploaded, the Tekken 3 bin and cue along with the database update don't have executable permission(only read and write) like the other files on the PlayStation Classic.

18. subcon959
    OP

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    If you look at my other thread about updating the emulator you will see someone replied and posted how to edit permissions using the chmod command with telnet. I'm surprised you can't do it with the right-click menu though.

19. ShadowCloud

ShadowCloud Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2019
    United States
    Thank you very much and for the quick response. I'll give this a try when I get home.

20. ShadowCloud

ShadowCloud Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2019
    United States
    Did all of that and still not working. I'm not sure what's going on. What am I doing wrong? Is there another database that Bleemsync uses that I'm not aware of?

Attached Files:

Last edited by ShadowCloud, Aug 6, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted