Hacking [HowTo]Menuhax on linked nands

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, today I got this working with an modified version of chmm2.

How it works(technically):
There are two parts inside of the theme configuration, one for single themes and one for theme shuffle.
If the theme shuffle is set, every firmware that support it will ignore the single theme area and every firmware that doesn't support it will ignore the theme shuffle part and use the single theme part.
So what are we doing?
First we install menu hax, which uses the single theme part and removes the theme shuffle.
After doing this we set the random theme flag and install at least one theme using the chmm2 for theme shuffle, but this modified version wont remove the informations for the single theme area, so themehax will stay installed for it, but the emunand with newer firmware and theme shuffle support will ignore themehax.

How to do it:
It's simple, just do two things.
  1. install menuhax 2.0
  2. use theme shuffle with the modified Version of chmm2
What will this do for me?
It will allow you to autoboot into your emunand while emunand and sysnand are still linked.
Also it should be possible in theory to use menuhax on both nands if you dump emunands menuhax and use it as a random theme. If you modify the sysnand menuhax payload on the sd, it would also be possible to normaly load the homebrew loader in the emunand while autobooting on sysnand.

I only tested it on a N3DS 9.0 Sys and 9.5 Emunand.

Update:
The new version from chmm2-mod includes a cia and 3dsx version. Its force to be in menuhax mode, so you will set the sysnand theme with a normal selection and the emunand themes with theme shuffle.

Attachments

• chmm2(.5)-mod.zip
    2 MB · Views: 509
Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country

There are two parts inside of the theme configuration, one for single themes and one for theme shuffle.
If the theme shuffle is set, every firmware that support it will ignore the single theme area and every firmware that doesn't support it will ignore the theme shuffle part and use the single theme part.
So what are we doing?
First we install menu hax, which uses the single theme part and removes the theme shuffle.
After doing this we set the random theme flag and install at least one theme using the chmm2 for theme shuffle, but this modified version wont remove the informations for the single theme area, so themehax will stay installed for it, but the emunand with newer firmware and theme shuffle support will ignore themehax.

How to do it:
  1. install menuhax 2.0
It will allow you to autoboot into your emunand while emunand and sysnand are still linked.
Also it should be possible in theory to use menuhax on both nands if you dump emunands menuhax and use it as a random theme. If you modify the sysnand menuhax payload on the sd, it would also be possible to normaly load the homebrew loader in the emunand while autobooting on sysnand.

I also got problems starting my build of chmm2 on hax2.5(I used ninjhax 1.1 to install it).

Any chance you could put up the modified code ? I'd like to to try compiling this myself, since I can't seem to get it to show in the homebrew launcher either and I don't have access to ninjhax so I'd like to try and find out why it isn't working,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Any chance you could put up the modified code ? I'd like to to try compiling this myself, since I can't seem to get it to show in the homebrew launcher either and I don't have access to ninjhax so I'd like to try and find out why it isn't working,
The homebrew folder needs to be named the same as the .3dsx and .smdh, OR they need to be named boot.3dsx and boot.smdh, make sure of this ;)

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
The homebrew folder needs to be named the same as the .3dsx and .smdh, OR they need to be named boot.3dsx and boot.smdh, make sure of this ;)

Thanks. That was the not appearing issue. Looks like there's another issue as well, since it boots to a grey screen when launched from the Homebrew Channel this way.

ETA- Actually it would appear that's an issue with CHMM2 itself , rather than this. It does the same thing. Interesting. Might be because I'm using CtrBootManager , will have to fiddle around a bit more.

ETA2 - Indeed it is. CHMM2 does the same thing , even when launched from a HBL clean cold boot launch.

ETA3- Seems to have been fixed recently. The latest stable build of CHMM2 from the author's website is fine but the one included in the starter pack isn't.

@RednaxelaNnamtra You may want to try updating your repo to the latest version and readding your changes and recompiling. I suspect that your issue may have been a problem with CHMM2 itself at the time rather than your mod.

Last edited by Elaugaufein,

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works a treat on both my N3DS on Sys9.0 & Emu9.5. Also works great on my O3DS on Sys9.2 & Emu9.9 (yeah... I need to update the emuNAND). :-)

Thanks for this.

RednaxelaNnamtra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update:
I uploaded a new version of chmm2 mod, its based on chmm2.5 and forces the menuhax mode. This way its not possible to overwrite the sysnand theme.
Also I included a cia version, wich allows easy theme changes without booting the homebrew loader.

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get an error "Error: [string "?"]:327: cannot initialize Sound modulex�" when trying to launch it on my O3DS on SysNAND 9.2, EmuNAND 10.4.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Two things:
- If the Menuhax theme gets shuffled again, what will it happen?
- Doesn't the shuffle automatically disable the Menuhax after booted?

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So what are we doing?

How to do it:
  1. install menuhax 2.0

Update:
The new version from chmm2-mod includes a cia and 3dsx version. Its force to be in menuhax mode, so you will set the sysnand theme with a normal selection and the emunand themes with theme shuffle.
How to use custom theme for EMUNAND with this method?

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simply switch to the random theme selection using x and select alt least a theme for two of the slots. After pressing x again you will have the custom theme on emunand.
I thought you mean the theme shuffle option in change theme settings on home menu, which I did and was able to autoboot into EMUNAND home menu with linked NANDs (after reinstall menuhax on SYSNAND). Problem solved. Thanks

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead