How's Vista coming along?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jumpman17, Aug 30, 2007.

Aug 30, 2007

How's Vista coming along? by jumpman17 at 3:18 PM (2,687 Views / 0 Likes) 49 replies

1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Well, I got Vista Ultimate Upgrade 32-bit but don't know if I want to install it or not. Have they ironed it out yet? Or is it still crap? When I upgrade, do I have to reinstall all my programs?

2. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    I don't think so. But make sure your programs are in their latest versions. Older versions of certain programs don't work on Vista[like Nero. You need Nero7 for Vista]. Otherwise, I have problems with the Vista. But you better have at least 2 gigs of ram.

3. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Put this on your computer. It takes of all the viruses Ubuntu

4. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    I upgraded to ultimate with no trouble. It is better than XP but takes getting used to.

5. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    vista is better than xp, but takes more ram etc and you need to get use to it. But that's only my opinion [​IMG]
    Sometimes while playing i run out of ram so i think that you'll need atleast 2 gb to run it well (i have 1gb). Like filozof said.

6. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    My PC can handle Vista as I just assembled a brand new computer a few months ago. So that's not the problem.

I just can't decide if I want to upgrade. Mainly because I'm afraid of programs no longer working. Also, I don't want to reinstall all my programs after the upgrade if that is how it works.

7. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I don't think it is time to change yet. It's much faster, but still have problems for users whom... uh... likes to test the full version of softwares before buy them. [​IMG]

Changing OS, anyone knows about a Google OS (development)? I saw a youtube video (can't find it now) about it, and uses opengl, if I am not mistaken. It's a real 3D OS, just hope that we don't need a NASA computer to runs it.

8. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Not trying to hijack or anything, but I'm thinking of upgrading too...

I'm using XP and like it.. but I hear Vista kinda closes the gap between windows and osx. It costs so freakin' much as a standalone product though. I'm wondering if it would be worth it as I've got kind of a crap grafx card and only a gig of ram. Is it's main draw the eye candy, or is it a more productive interface, or just quicker? What's the bonus, in other words?

9. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    google os(goobuntu) is just another linux distro, the 3d stuff is beryl. As far is I know they haven't officially announced any plans on releasing it.

There is no need to upgrade from XP at the moment, if its not broken don't fix it.

10. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

11. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Yeah, but XP doesn't have DirectX 10. Maybe Microsoft will end up bringing that to XP soon just like Live support.

You guys know about that? Microsoft claims that Live was always going to come to XP, they were just focusing on Vista first. Bullcrap.

12. Strider

Just as the DX10 crap is all a lie. It's all about restricting the developers and removing their choices. If you don't choose so, developers will create opengl games, and you won't even notice the difference.

So, if you want to have DX10 and no games for it, or not even notice a difference...
    If you want to have your network speed slowed to 10% while playing audio...
    If you want to use up 500MB of RAM more than XP...
    If you want to encourage MS on pissing off their customers...

Feel free to use Vista!

13. Noobix

Member Noobix GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah I tried Vista ultimate and business on my spare PC and notebook for a few months, and will try it again once a service pack is released.

The aero interface is pretty...and Vista seemed stable. The main drawbacks are compatabilty problems and price, which is why I'm sticking with XP!!! [​IMG]

Anyone who has XP running stable should just stick with it...I'd recommend Vista only for brand new PC's atm.

14. Azimuth

Canada
    it more like 15% slowdown but thats a feature not a bug [​IMG]
    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/a...27/1833290.aspx

SP1 has just been announced so you might want to wait and see whats new
    http://www.beskerming.com/commentary/2007/...1_Slips_to_2008

and directx is being updated to 10.1 which will make some directx10 cards obsolete.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41577

and here is a comparison of DX10 vs DX9 performance
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3029

I see no reason to upgrade, XP is a mature platform and has everything vista has(except eyecandy).

edit:added links

15. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    I have Vista Ultimate x64, it's quite a bit faster than XP. You have to know how to tweak it. All DX10 cards will support DX10.1

16. Strider

Hmmm...no.

It's a slowdown TO 10%. Go ahead and read through the source of this slashdot article, there are enough people complaining about it.

Also you might want to point out you referred to a Microsoft Article. Of course it's not as worse as everyone experiences...

Anyone interested can see 10 reasons not to get(use) Vista here. Most of the points are still, or will always be valid.

Don't be fooled to think you're getting an upgrade with vista. That list doesn't even mention currently known serious issues like the network performance/audio issue I mentioned.

17. Azimuth

Canada
    Well I was wrong. I never put too much trust on slashdot articles(too many linux users there [​IMG])

18. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    People that still think Vista sucks either:
    1. Can't afford it
    2. Hates MS/Windows, loves Linux/Mac
    3. Their PC can't handle it
    4. Refuse to follow the newest patches and drivers

19. Strider

@azimuth

You're right about that, but the core of most technically-founded articles is true.

20. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Maybe the whole "I want DX 10" thing will make more sense in the future, but right now, what is it's purpose? I can say one thing for sure, DX 10 is never coming to XP, it was designed to force you to 'upgrade'.

As for my experiences of Vista (Business), it's pretty, but even something simple like browsing My Computer is a pain in the arse. Put it this way, I'll be building a new PC soon, and I'm going to be using XP. Maybe when all game development switches to DX 10 I'll bite the bullet and switch, but as of now, I see no reason whatsoever to recommend it.