How's the performance of the DSi and flash carts?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by R2DJ, May 4, 2009.

May 4, 2009
  1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    This question has been bugging me for the past 48 hours since I experienced a lot of lag while playing on DSi, playing with friends via Download Play. Here's the story: I tried my friend's DSi and 5 of us played Mario Kart DS. The host uses an R4 flash cart on a DS Lite and I'm connected via Download Play. Sometimes, the wireless strength goes down which leads me to thinking that the DSi sometimes gets laggy when communicating with Lites and Phats.

Since I am planning to get a DSi soon (started to love it), I have a few questions so I am assured that I will be making the right purchase soon.

1) Do the flash carts work well on the DSi? Has any of you experienced any minor problems (games can't connect to WiFi, frequent disconnections, etc.) while using flash carts with the DSi?

2) Has any of you also experienced lag while playing on the DSi against people on DS Lites using Download Play?

3) Are there known problems while using flash carts?

I'm asking about DSi flash carts just so you know.

2. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I have had an acekard2i and a dsi for about two weeks., and i play multiplayer regularly. One of my friends has the same setup. I noticed that the dsi needs to be "broken in" for some reason. When I first got it, I got quite a few connections losts for the first day or two when my friends where downloading games, but has been working perfectly since then. I've tested agains dsi's, dslites and even the orignals phats. My friend has had a similar experince.

3. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    So this means that the DSi needs to be used for quite some time so it can get used to it, reducing disconnections?

4. raep

Newcomer raep Member

Puerto Rico
    ive had dsi since released date and never expirienced any problems ive played against a lite with cyclo ds evolution: as a host, as not a host, via ds download and multicard and never had any problems like these i would think that the problem is caused by the acekard 2i i would like to knoww for sure cause ive been thinking of buying an acekard 2i but im not sure if i should wait for cyclo dsi or an update from cyclo that enables dsi compatibility (doubt theyll do the last one) [​IMG]

5. Uruha

Member Uruha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my DSi wont connect with my DS when in Pictochat.
    but in Mario Kart we were fine with no lag.

6. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Hmm, my DS and DSi were both fine. The DS even saw the colors in Pictochat.

7. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    1. i have had ak2i for more than a month and it works fine...even if ur connecting
    2. i have not had any sort of lag or problem while connecting ( dsi's connection is better....its just that since it is newer it takes a little longer for ds phat to connect)
    3.There are known problems lik the built quality of some flash carts and how they were rushed which is true....just wait for m3 reali to come out....well see ...it would be a wise choice to wait for it...

8. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    1. AK2i is a piece of shit, no offense.
    2. Agreed; I get 3 bars where my DS Phat would get 1 or 2.
    3. Wait for CycloDSi not M3 Reali!

9. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    I personally find the ak2i pretty nice. I just dont advise people to buy it because i dont want them coming back to me telling me it was broken [​IMG]

I've had more than a few issues with DSi Flash carts. First off, the itouch2 and EzFlash vi dont run some homebrew (such as DSreader). I'm not sure if the homebrew needs dldi patching, but I was hoping it would patch on-the-fly like most slot-1's do nowadays. More homebrew work on the AK with AKAIO.

Rom compatibility is also crap, i had issues getting GTA and rhythm heaven working on ezflash vi, and AKAIO's new loaders crash some older games or so I've heard (haven't tested much... might be wrong here)

nintendo WFC doesn't work with some games. I've only tested tetris, but I couldn't get online or even to my wifi settings.

No lag as far as I've played, but the ezflash vi takes some time to load its firmware and games.

Hope that was helpful [​IMG]