1. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

I just got a Samsung S20 FE 5G today! That's after using an S7 Edge for the last 3 years and loving every minute of it, although I was always a bit miffed about the whole Exynos thing but can't say it was lacking performance or battery life. It was rooted and somewhat debloated but nothing extreme and it meant I couldn't use the Pay apps so I'm not doing it again.

The S20 FE 5G is Snapdragon 865 in all regions so that is what made me stick with Samsung again. I was also looking at OnePlus 8T which is supposed to be the best buy right now. I have to admit though, the Note 20 Ultra looks extremely sexy but I just didn't have a need for the S pen (and it's that damn Exynos again).

In summary, I have no hesitation recommending Samsung (higher end, I can't vouch for budget) as the UI is pretty good once you turn off the annoying stuff, and the 120hz displays are amazing these days.

depaul and tech3475 like this.
  2. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Amazing. Much better than what iPhone offering for double the price.

3. tech3475

OP tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

So I guess I should post an update.

Today I ended up getting the Note 20 Ultra....with Exynos unfortunately.

My Network gave me a good enough offer and the phone is so far the only one I’ve seen which has actually interested me despite the issues I have with Android and Exynos.

I know Samsung just launched the S21, but the lack of an SD slot and still being Exynos was off putting.

Worst case I have a 14 day cooling off period, so I can always return it.

Thanks for the information.

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]
    Global Moderator

United States
    Cant you just buy an unlocked snapdragon phone off of ebay or w/e and use it in the uk?
    It seems they fixed most of the problems with the next exynos, performance seems to be on par with snapdragon, dont know about battery life though.

5. tech3475

I thought about it, but Brexit tax changes if it has to come into the country and potential insurance issues make this an undesirable option.

If it wasn’t for the offer I wouldn’t have likely bothered.

6. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    got me the Z fold2. best Samsung device I have owned in a long time. Folds out to a tablet, 12GB ram, 8 core 7nm processor, long battery life, comes with a full charger cable+wall plug.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

exynos will always be a pile of burning garbage compared to snapdragon processors.

7. tech3475

Looks nice, although not sure if my cup of tea, especially at the price my network sells it at even with any potential discount.

8. Condarkness_XY

Condarkness_XY GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have an s10 and so far its been great. The only thing is, ever since android 11 came out, stupid google changed storage permissions so it makes accessing the SD card impossible unless all the apps that use the SD card are updated. Its not Samsung's fault for that. The s10 has a headphone jack and expandable storage and good processor for everything up to 3ds, Wii and GameCube. If you're looking for something better, Samsung just came out with s20 FE, with a lot of the same stuff except I think the headphone jack (which is really annoying). You can also take a look at a LG, but heard they are actually going to shutdown the cell phone department. So overall, I'd say Samsung is pretty good, but if you get one, get it unlocked on amazon, because otherwise it comes with a bunch of BS bloatware that's useless and takes up space.

9. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    Needlessly more expensive as of late. I mean, you must really want the features if you want to go Samsung. At least they extended update support for 3 years instead of the usual 2 (but last is usually half-assed)

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    They kind of learned from the mess that was the S20 Ultra. Overcharged for a phone that didn't meet the marketed hype. The S21 series phones are pretty good, and reasonably priced for what they offer. Rocking an S21 Ultra... And while I wouldn't recommend the phone unless you're going to utilize it to the full extent? I think it's the best phone I've owned to date. Minus the lack of SD card support.

Jayro likes this.
  11. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    I think I'll wait until the Note becomes really good again. Still salty that they took out features on the Note. Will probably use my Note 9 for a long while since I don't really need more power, battery. The note 9 still wins in terms of VR, sd slot and 3.5

Memoir likes this.
  12. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    I've used Samsung phones since the Galaxy S3, and I'm rocking the S10 Plus now. I love it. Still a fast phone, and no slowdowns. The battery is still good after almost 2 years so far! Plenty of RAM and built-in storage, and I'm looking at getting the S21 Ultra eventually.

13. tech3475

My Note 20 Ultra was discounted via my network, I wouldn’t have probably bothered otherwise.

14. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    i made a new contract with a new carrier. i had the choice between an S20 Ultra, S20, Note 20 Ultra and,,,,Asus ROG Phone 3.....i chose the last ofc xD

15. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Nyan-binary

United States
    The Samsung a20 is pretty nice

16. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    so i got rid of my Razer Phone 2 and got an Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) Phone 3

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - How’s, Samsung, phones