How's avaiability of NES, SNES, GB and GENESIS's card readers?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Since I never had any console before my PS2, I wanted to get a NES, SNES, GB and GENESIS whenever I buy a TV.
I heard that the method to play roms on those cartridge-based consoles was that there were some container cartridges that you would with use of a card reader, copy roms into and play with console.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and please note if there is a best way for each of those consoles and please talk about their price, ease of use and availability.

I just know that there are still some cards for GB but they are ridiculesly expensive and each of them has a downside (like current state at DS carts which there is no absolute best)

Thnx guiz.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The older the machine, the harder it is to get the playback devices for ... they go for silly money, usually ... if they even work properly.

I've been trying to get a Z64 or a Doctor 64 again for ages, without much lucky.

Most of the cartridge machines, like the N64, the Mega Drive/Genesis & the SNES had playback devices ... like the MultiGameHunter & such ... they usually had a floppy disk drive in the side, and plugged into the console cartridge port.

The ones for the N64 had CD-ROM drives or Zip drives, instead of floppy drives.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
May I ask what is the matter with emulating it? the PS2 is doing ok in the area these last few weeks and the xbox is near flawless for the older consoles you mention.

Also (and there are others)
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=592131

Back on topic though most carts were either homemade (especially nes) or made in seriously limited runs. A few people do pop up now and again with their homemade carts for sale but I know of none currently doing the rounds.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
FAST6191 said:
May I ask what is the matter with emulating it? the PS2 is doing ok in the area these last few weeks and the xbox is near flawless for the older consoles you mention.

Also (and there are others)
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=592131

Back on topic though most carts were either homemade (especially nes) or made in seriously limited runs. A few people do pop up now and again with their homemade carts for sale but I know of none currently doing the rounds.

there is nothing wrong with it, its another way to do that but not the way I tended to do.
I wanted to play NES games on a NES machine but since its impossible to find game carts of games that I like, I wanted to do it this way.

p.s. is it possible to have multiple roms&emus on a single dvd for PS2? or I should burn them on seperate discs?

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
There has been one fairly recently released for the NES called the PowerPak. Basically is a NES cart with either flash memory or a version that allows you to play your roms off a CF card. Do a search for it, a bit on the expensive side though! I'd love a decent SNES solution...

*edit - http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?productID=133

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the only way you are going to get to play those games is to emulate them on other consoles or buy the console and games (the expensive way lol) but somewhat worth it if you are a collector and it's more nicer playing on the actual hardware instead of a emu

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, not as far as I'm aware. I've only ever seen those butt-ugly Tototek carts. For SNES and Genesis you should be able to pick up proper copiers. Genesis may be a litte harder to come across but SNES shouldn't be too hard to find.

Someone was selling on in the WTS forum, can't remember who it was though. As you're in Canada I don't really know anywhere to get one, they're still pretty easy to find in the UK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.