How would you rate your safety at work?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So anybody who actually paid attention to me, knows that last year I worked at a logging mill.

The mill was relocated though none of the original staff was hired except for one guy. Anyways, one of my friends who worked there, got crushed by logs after they were dropped and he was taken into the river.

And it sucks. And I remember last year when I worked there, I almost got crushed by logs by the boss. And it got me thinking, I'm not surprised it happen.

The boss is a dangerous person who cuts corners in safety.

So I was wondering, how would you rate your work place safety?

Deadvolt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mildly dangerous.
metal shaving splinters, broken glass, usual cuts, heat burns from a 1300*c furnace, and laser welding burns.
and the plethora of deadly chemicals I work with varying from, Silica, Arsenic, Mercury, and Rhodium, to name a few.

I blow glass, and make jewelery lol.. dangerous stuff.
metalsmith by trade. sort of like your modern day black smith. I make art hah.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mildly dangerous.
metal shaving splinters, broken glass, usual cuts, heat burns from a 1300*c furnace, and laser welding burns.
and the plethora of deadly chemicals I work with varying from, Silica, Arsenic, Mercury, and Rhodium, to name a few.

I blow glass, and make jewelery lol.. dangerous stuff.
Yeah but you know how to deal with all of that through training and have safety procedures in place.

This boss that I worked with at the mill, had none of that. No training at all. And the worst part is no investigation is going to be done. Only the boss and the other worker will truly know what happened, and neither of them will say a word.

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Hmm, depends on how careful I am but since I work in a lab, it can be pretty dangerous. One time a bottle of liquid nanoparticle ink blew up in my face and the ink jumped in my eyes, I thought I was going blind! It was my bad though, I wasn't wearing any safety glasses. Also I work with lasers which can be pretty dangerous too, but not as long as you take safety measures.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So here's a news report post:

http://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/231821661.html

This part struck me:

RCMP was called out to the scene at 2:36 p.m. Wednesday.
As of 3:30 p.m., the victim was scheduled to be taken to Abbotsford Regional Hospital with major trauma and life-threatening injuries.

24 minute wait, and to take it to Abbotsford (the city over), is another 30 minute/45 minute drive. Our city has a hospital in it, that's literally a couple minutes away from that lumber yard, but the gov't is trying to shut it down and right now it only does minor injuries and such. Our city needs a better hospital.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My job itself is safe, retail, but I always find stupid ways to get injured. I'm partly to blame but there are also some stupid safety hazards that shouldn't exist that I always seem to find first.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My job itself is safe, retail, but I always find stupid ways to get injured. I'm partly to blame but there are also some stupid safety hazards that shouldn't exist that I always seem to find first.
Same. I decided to take a strip of hard plastic and bend it, expecting it to just neatly fold in two. But no, it shattered into pieces, one stuck into my thumb, the rest flying everywhere. Later that night, my coworker says "You mind manning the register? I seem to have cut myself without my knowledge and I seem to be bleeding on the counter." Having to deal with hundreds of people a day kills your brain cells more than drugs do.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends what I am doing.

If I am doing computery things then RSI, becoming a fat bastard, getting dirty (several places are either garages or right on the corners with traffic lights) and burning my hands on a soldering iron. Fortunately someone slapped most computing companies and they now have proper metal cutters for their cases and I no longer face "I wish my samurai sword was as sharp as this" type cases like you did in the P3 and back.

If I am doing site work then I wear steel toed boots, know how to lift properly and try not to go too far out of my comfort zone (playing it safe if I do not know exactly what is going on).

Generally though I would never sue anybody and if I lack functioning hands, functioning eyes and a functioning brain then I lack food and nice toys so I tend to only risk such things when not on the job. As most people around are in similar positions and everybody appreciates getting stuff done the main times such things get tempered is to avoid having manglement send down someone to figure out why stuff is getting done and they are not losing money from that shop (which these days is not often considering most of it is local business and other self employed types).

That said

He and I are of similar opinions on a lot of things. I have thus far been spared it but plenty of people had to get dressed up like that for no good reason, get tickets for things where they ultimately end up teaching the instructor and

Sharing another vid of his

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work with developmentally disabled people. I'm one of the staff that get called when a client has anger issues.

Had a toilet thrown at me, chunks of skin gouged out of my hands, punched, kicked, and almost stabbed at work. Those incidents are few and far between, though. Most days the most dangerous part of my job is hearing the godawful modern country music from the room next door to mine (I work in a day program now).

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work with developmentally disabled people. I'm one of the staff that get called when a client has anger issues.

Had a toilet thrown at me, chunks of skin gouged out of my hands, punched, kicked, and almost stabbed at work. Those incidents are few and far between, though. Most days the most dangerous part of my job is hearing the godawful modern country music from the room next door to mine (I work in a day program now).
You know, my brother in the past few years has started listening to country music as well, and I had a hunch it was final proof that he wasn't all there in the head. Now I know. Thanks.

Reactions: Hikaru

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, my brother in the past few years has started listening to country music as well, and I had a hunch it was final proof that he wasn't all there in the head. Now I know. Thanks.

There's the makings of a joke in there, but no lie.... People with developmental and intellectual disabilities love country music.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am a cashier at WalMart. It's pretty safe, I mean the store has been robbed a few times, but mostly people breaking into the garden center register.
I'm in no physical danger, but I can't say the same for mental danger.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Work mostly nights at a grocery store. I take every chance I get to escape the register and work running things back on the shelves or cleaning the front so I don't have to deal with customers. Place hasn't got robbed in almost 10 years, long before I was there. Most dangerous thing is the days I'm on cart duty and stupid aren't paying attention.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm working at a public office, helping people filling their papers.
People are becoming more and more aggressive, one of them hit me at the face last month.
Another one gave death threat and said he will put a bomb.

If things continue like that, someone will gonna be stab one day (and it won't be a client) :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol