How would I go about making applications that don't require IOSU and/or kernel on 5.5.x?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by SUPR64, Feb 7, 2016.

1. SUPR64
    OP

SUPR64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    I know the MP4 exploit seems to function, meaning we can make apps. At the moment I'm vastly more interested in making applications for this than getting IOSU and pirating. You know, like the 3DS homebrew and its userland emulators. Except, the Wii U is way more powerful, so...is there some sort of guide that explains how to make apps through this exploit?

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    There isn't much libraries usable afaik. so that's a bit complicated for anything.

A good start point could be Loadiine GX2 code, but, like you may have figured, it requires Kernel access for the SD support >.>

3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Userland homebrew is also limited to 32K of code max (and I could be wrong, but I think an ELF loader needs kernel, not to mention you'd lack SD access like Vinscool said), so you won't be accomplishing much beyond the simple homebrews we have now.

4. SUPR64
    OP

SUPR64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    Well, thanks for informing me anyways. I don't think anything too interesting can be done with userland right now, which is a shame.

street likes this.
  5. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I am currently working on a homebrew game, and I can tell you from experience, it is a total pain. I have been using C for years, and it is a pain to work around the limits that you have on the Wii U, unless you want to do something VERY simple. At least on 5.5, which is what I am on. If I had 5.3.2, I could do a heck of a lot more. :(

6. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Sep 14, 2007
    Canada
    Basically all you can use is basic graphics and button functions. (and of course any functionality that programming itself gives you like loops and conditionals)
    So you could create a game, but you'll have to write some custom graphics functions if you want to do anything interesting.

SUPR64 likes this.
  7. SUPR64
    OP

SUPR64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    Do you think eventually we can get better userland homebrew? I wanna play me some N64 & DS ROM hacks on the Wii U. <3

8. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Probably not. The Wii U is locked up pretty tight. I guess if a game save exploit ever comes out (here's to hoping Zelda U has one, maybe), then things like graphics might be a little (? apparently GX2 needs kernel access for some reason right now, but is this true? If a game was hijacked, it'd certainly have access to it) easier, but you'd still not have access to the SD card. Only three or four apps have access to it (Mii maker, Smash, and Karaoke U), and as far as we know, USB needs IOSU, so loading files isn't very realistic. Without loading files and more than basic graphics/pixel poking, there's not much that can be done.

VinsCool, SUPR64 and ihaveamac like this.
  9. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Sep 14, 2007
    Canada
    You can load files from the net using libcurl.
    Basic userland will never really be anymore than what it is now, but as we know, there are already known kernel exploits for 5.5.1/0, so it's really just a matter of time for people to wait, just don't update.

All the loadiine versions need kernel access, why is that a surprise?

10. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I forgot about that, actually. Thanks.