How will Iwata's death affect Nintendo?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Let me know when you graduate from Economics because you have a lot to learn about business.

So a game that's possibly never going to be released in another reason would be wrong to import because...? It isn't.

Sony and Microsoft have their consoles region free so people shouldn't be defending Nintendo's bullshit.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a game that's possibly never going to be released in another reason would be wrong to import because...? It isn't.

Sony and Microsoft have their consoles region free so people shouldn't be defending Nintendo's bullshit.
Please tell me when I wrote that importing a game is wrong.

And I'm not defending anything, I just acknowledge their decision. Sony and Microsoft are huge multi-purpose companies, they don't give a shit.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Please tell me when I wrote that importing a game is wrong.

And I'm not defending anything, I just acknowledge their decision. Sony and Microsoft are huge multi-purpose companies, they don't give a shit.

You being in favour of region locking automatically puts you in those shoes.

Still to this day I don't own NES Remix Pack for Wii U because Nintendo's too friggin' stubborn with this outdated mentality of theirs.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You being in favour of region locking automatically puts you in those shoes.
Again, tell me when I stated that I'm favour of region locking.

Their reasoning behind region locking can be understandable even if you don't share the same mentality as them. What's next? Are you going to write that I said that I have a tatoo that says "region locking rocks"?

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Their reasoning behind region locking can be understandable even if you don't share the same mentality as them. What's next? Are you going to write that I said that I have a tatoo that says "region locking rocks"?
Try to keep on topic instead of fighting maybe?

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I think it would help if you told them in your own words what makes region locking so advantageous.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
tl;dr rest of the thread.

I hope Nintendo officially appoints someone competent as Iwata's replacement. No offense to the man himself, but this generation was quite a flop for Nintendo, especially after their hugely successful last gen. Hopefully we get someone with fresh, modern ideas in the lead, someone who knows the average gamer, not just the Nintendo gamer.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Itawa has kicked Ninty back in the game with the Wii and DS, can't say anything against it, both systems sold extremely well.

DS was a fine handheld but Wii was nothing but a console for shitware with a couple of good games, just like the Wii U.

As for region locking, nobody here seems to understand the advantages of it, economically-wise. There aren't enough pros to remove something that helps the company determine sales, especially if I can only think about one game on 3DS that wasn't released outside Japan that I could play without feeling too much confused.

So you think region locking has more cons than pros. Weird. :mellow:

Customers aren't a bunch of fucking monkeys to be kept in their cells to only be able to play this or that that the company releases in X region.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
FYI, Shigeru Miyamoto together with Genyo Takeda took over Iwata's position.
Actually no. They took over temporary positions as in any major company, but no one apart from Nintendo themselves know who will actually take over the positions left by Iwata's parting.

As for the changes, a major thing will be a loss of a PR master. While many people can say whatever they want on the quality and quantity of Nintendo Directs, Iwata Asks and the likes, they were very original and quite strictly unheard of in the gaming industry as a whole. Also the talent Iwata had was unheard off in the gaming industry. I'm not so worried about the next year or two, but the years after this. An example of this dilemma is what Apple is going at now with Steve Jobs' legacy being mostly a thing in the past in terms of the company's strategy and the likes being made, and now in effect, by the current management.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you think region locking has more cons than pros. Weird. :mellow:

Customers aren't a bunch of fucking monkeys to be kept in their cells to only be able to play this or that that the company releases in X region.
Yes, it has, and yes, they are.

I think it would help if you told them in your own words what makes region locking so advantageous.

With region locking you force customers to buy their games from wherever they live. This allows for better sales-numbers and a lot more control overall. Why is Super Mary 3DS selling a lot more in America than in Japan? Whatever is the case, we are going to give America more of the same game. What? The same game in Japan has sold a lot less copies? Then we are not going to make more copies available to USA then Japan. But wait, who is the asshole who keeps importing thousands of copies of Super Mary 3DS in his own country? Our calculations are screwed up! Crap!
Or this other game, Super John 3DS, from the same title of its cartoon, released in Japan only because only a bunch of people watch it in the rest of the world and it's slightly more popular in Japan, so we'll produce 10.000 copies. What's that? Someone is buying the games off Play-Asia? Oh no, now there are only 5.000 copies available for Japan! People will get pissed off!
Or this other game, Super Japanese Popstar oni-roll-san-waifu 3DS, a rhythm game that includes a lot of pop music from Japan. And this pop music comes from various cartoons that are propriety of various companies. We got a deal from Japan, but we have to start all over again for America and Europe? To sell a dozen copies? Fuck that!

Nintendo might seem as big as Sony as Microsoft, but I don't have to remind you how they only make games, while the other two make whatever they want. Sony doesn't need region-locking in their games because they OWN blue-ray. They don't care about weeaboos getting games from Japan, they aren't scared. Same as Microsoft. But, when you own a company that has been going very careful with anything in the past decade, you are going to get as many precautions as you want. For you, and your shareholders.

Again, I'M NOT SAYING I AGREE WITH THEM, I'm just saying that I understand the direction they are taking. It's a big decision and Iwata's death will most likely change nothing about it.

And before some of you might say "but we are a few people! This won't hurt anybody!. Remember that technology is getting more and more popular and you can now order whatever you want from Asia. We are talking about Japan vs the rest of the world, which is A LOT to cover, but enough to ruin Japan's market. I'm sure there are better alternatives, like making games digitally available worldwide (if it isn't a rights fuckfest like the last Taiko game), but it's always up to the developers and, believe or not, many of them are racist enough to not release anything outside Japan.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
If it's selling like hotcakes then just make more copies instead of being an ass about 'cause don't they like to make more money? That's what business is about.
Yes, it has, and yes, they are.
Fuck that. Customers can vote with their wallets and not purchase so there's always the option, plus with hacked 3DS it's possible to play games from any region.

As much as I love Nintendo this is an extremely backwards mentality company that's so far out of how the modern times work they're in their own world, and so, it's no surprise that neither Sony nor Microsoft takes them serious same goes for the consumers thinking of only PlayStation and Xbox. Nintendo? Oh that's for kids.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With region locking you force customers to buy their games from wherever they live. This allows for better sales-numbers and a lot more control overall. Why is Super Mary 3DS selling a lot more in America than in Japan? Whatever is the case, we are going to give America more of the same game. What? The same game in Japan has sold a lot less copies? Then we are not going to make more copies available to USA then Japan. But wait, who is the asshole who keeps importing thousands of copies of Super Mary 3DS in his own country? Our calculations are screwed up! Crap!
This statement makes the assumption that people from a same region are just an uniform dough all of them thinking the same and liking the same. And that is just BS.
Also, if your calculations are "screwed up" because some "asshole" (fuck, you are screwed if you think a client that pays for your product is an undesirable asshole) imported a couple a copies then either 1) your business is so small you should be happy for selling at all, or 2) there were actually a lot of "assholes" that imported a lot of copies, meaning you are doing things so wrong regarding distribution that you should rethink what the fuck are you doing in the first place.
I don't quote the rest of your post because it sins in the same way and it can be attacked with the same argument.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's selling like hotcakes then just make more copies instead of being an ass about 'cause don't they like to make more money? That's what business is about.

Fuck that. Customers can vote with their wallets and not purchase so there's always the option, plus with hacked 3DS it's possible to play games from any region.

As much as I love Nintendo this is an extremely backwards mentality company that's so far out of how the modern times work they're in their own world, and so, it's no surprise that neither Sony nor Microsoft takes them serious same goes for the consumers thinking of only PlayStation and Xbox. Nintendo? Oh that's for kids.
This statement makes the assumption that people from a same region are just an uniform dough all of them thinking the same and liking the same. And that is just BS.
Also, if your calculations are "screwed up" because some "asshole" (fuck, you are screwed if you think a client that pays for your product is an undesirable asshole) imported a couple a copies then either 1) your business is so small you should be happy for selling at all, or 2) there were actually a lot of "assholes" that imported a lot of copies, meaning you are doing things so wrong regarding distribution that you should rethink what the fuck are you doing in the first place.
I don't quote the rest of your post because it sins in the same way and it can be attacked with the same argument.
Both of you seems to miss the point.

If I release a game only in Japan because I know that won't sell much and I produce VERY few copies (enough to cover the demographic of the country) then there are going to be people without a copy anyway because of foreigners importing those copies from the rest of the world. You aren't selling them like hotcakes, a very small part of people is "attacking" the other small part.

Is this an old business model? Yes. Can this be fixed in any other way? Yes. Is this a senseless business model? No. I don't care if you agree with them or not, but it's important for you to understand why they still have region locking. Going around shouting "hurr durr their stupiders" accomplishes nothing. Suggesting them a better solution can be taken more seriously. [EDIT: and most importantly, as I already stated, it won't go away just because Iwata died]

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Both of you seems to miss the point.

If I release a game only in Japan because I know that won't sell much and I produce VERY few copies (enough to cover the demographic of the country) then there are going to be people without a copy anyway because of foreigners importing those copies from the rest of the world. You aren't selling them like hotcakes, a very small part of people is "attacking" the other small part.

Is this an old business model? Yes. Can this be fixed in any other way? Yes. Is this a senseless business model? No. I don't care if you agree with them or not, but it's important for you to understand why they still have region locking. Going around shouting "hurr durr their stupiders" accomplishes nothing. Suggesting them a better solution can be taken more seriously. [EDIT: and most importantly, as I already stated, it won't go away just because Iwata died]
Even if Iwata actually announced they were thinking of dropping region locking in the future, those type of decisions are company wide, so him dying shouldn't change the fact that they are considering to stop locking consoles.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: