How well do fake pokemon games work

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FrostyDialga, Jan 20, 2017.

1. FrostyDialga
    OP

FrostyDialga Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2016
    You can buy cheap fake pokemon gba gbc gb games on ebay thing is do they even save.

2. Magical Sheep

Magical Sheep The Super Stylish Black Cat

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    I picked up a fake Platinum awhile back and it works just fine. I haven't tried to use the union room or anything like there but saving works fine.

3. FrostyDialga
    OP

FrostyDialga Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2016
    Thing is with these fake games you can get them real cheap ive heard the palpark does not work with fake gba ones though.

4. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenb├╝ren
    Most of the fake games are just flashcarts with the game ROM on them, so they work just fine. There are, however, some really bad bootlegs with crappy romhacks on them.

5. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    It's best to just get a gba flashcart and play fake games that way.

6. Demifiend

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    Fake Pokemon games? the ones that are chinese or bootleg copies of an original game? yes, they can save, although the plastic and building quality of a fake gba pokemon game is obviously inferior compared to an original game, is still the same game and some of them may even be good, as long as the game remains the same from the original (the ROM) and it has a battery you can replace or add, you're pretty much fine

7. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Be aware though that several Pokemon games have extra hardware in the cartridge (RTC on GBA, IR on DS) which might not be available on a fake cartridge.

8. Elveman

Elveman B9S Shitpost Race Smogonite

GBAtemp Patron
    Elveman is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 1, 2015
    Russia
    Moscow city
    Well, GBC/GBA fake Pokemon games don't have RTC chip built-in, and fake Soul Silver freezes constantly (Heart Gold is fine mostly). Something like Gen1 games/FRLG works fine though. You can even launch fake DS games on 3DS via NTR Launcher.

Last edited by Elveman, Jan 20, 2017
  9. FrostyDialga
    OP

FrostyDialga Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2016
    Yeah but don't the gen 3 fakes erase your save if you try to migrate Pokemon.

10. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    My experience with them: GBA ones are shit. I bought the 5 main Gen 3 games for $50 on Amazon, what a deal! Turns out the game corrupts after completing the Elite 4 challenge, no matter what. I ended up getting legit carts in a bundle...for $200! I contacted the seller of the pirated games, to his credit he not only refunded me, but he didn't require the games to be sent back, no way these games should be circulated for unfortunate people to buy, so I've since kept them. It's better than giving it back so that the seller could sell them back, granted I wasn't clear to them about the pirated status, I just said they were, and he took my word for it.

On the DS side, I got a Platinum cart that did everything right, except be able to get backed up in a certain dongle. Crap it's hard to remember, I think the USB one that Pokedit sells. Yeah that's it, doesn't recognize the game, I had to back it up using R4I. Late 2015 I learned that this issue meant the cart was pirated, so I went ahead and bought another copy, legit, dongle supports it, hooray, and then not too long after that comes TWLSaveTool, effectively making that dongle obsolete, and really, almost invalidating the second copy's purchase. But who knows what else that sneaky Platinum cart has? I just experienced the save backup issue, I don't know if TWLSaveTool would support it. Both legit and pirated carts have the same save too, so less of a reason to really try it out, as well as being away from the older Pokemon games for so long, needing to keep up with the current happenings.

Basically, buy legit, talk to the seller to ensure they're legit, return and request a refund if they're fake. Have a hard stance against them, mistakes like the one I made can be damaging in one way or another. I was only lucky to redeem myself through buying other copies.

11. Magical Sheep

Magical Sheep The Super Stylish Black Cat

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    TWLSaveTool shouldn't work with the Platinum. For mine, I used an Action Replay to back up the save. Unfortunately, I don't have any specifics on my platinum other than the cart art is lower quality than it should be. I believe it saves the data in a different way, but I'm unsure.

RustInPeace likes this.