GCN How was Animal Crossing ported from Nintendo 64 to GameCube?

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who don't know, Animal Crossing was originally a Nintendo 64 game, and was in fact the last game Nintendo released on the system. Not even a year later, the game appeared again in Japan on the GameCube and it's almost identical to the Nintendo 64 version save for a few changes like GBA connectivity. My question is how was Animal Crossing ported to the GameCube so quickly? The debug menu shows remnants of the Nintendo 64 version like Controller Pak support. Did Nintendo just take the original source code, make some changes, and recompile it for the GameCube?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I doubt anyone knows the exact process. Whatever it was, it was probably at least a little similar to what they did with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

But if it was something that someone outside of Nintendo could easily apply today to any arbitrary N64 ROM, someone probably would have done it by now.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
From what I heard, it's essentially a highly customised emulator, and a slightly modified ROM. It's been a while since I read that though, so I might be completely wrong.

Edit: This is wrong.

Last edited by Jhynjhiruu,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
From what I heard, it's essentially a highly customised emulator, and a slightly modified ROM. It's been a while since I read that though, so I might be completely wrong.
Those are the zelda games, which are emulated - Animal Crossing + is an actual GC game (and indeed not a straight port), though extremely likely to have more than a nominal and practical correlation with the N64 one

It does have a NES emulator which somewhat fits that description, though!

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
Those are the zelda games, which are emulated - Animal Crossing + is an actual GC game (and indeed not a straight port), though extremely likely to have more than a nominal and practical correlation with the N64 one

Hmm, that goes against the discussions I've had. I'll ask around and see if there's any more info.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

upload_2019-10-29_17-10-19.png

Seems like you were right and I was wrong, mostly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1