How useful has the Kickstand been to you?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Mar 13, 2017.

?

How useful is the kick stand been to you?

1. Very useful

37.5%
  2. Not Useful

62.5%
  1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Personally using it is just seem lazy design, is just one small stand, the flexibility is bad and the balance is very poor. It can only be use on absolute flat surface, and probably 20 degree angel balance perhaps. I dunno how the guy in the trailer even think of playing it on the plane that moves a lot. (I never been on a plane before so i wouldn't know honestly)

Basically if it had a second kickstand or more support, maybe rubber stoppers or something to help grip even on not stable balance it may be better. I can only use it on like a floor or table, on my bed is almost unusable unless i'm perfectly still or it will fall. At this point, i would be happier if the joycon grip had a slot to put the system on to use like some cellphone or tablets do. Maybe a way to also plug charger in controller and charge the system as well or something.

[​IMG]

2. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    I haven't taken mine out of it's dock lmao so not very useful for now.

3. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    You scrub, lol :P

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    It's alright in a pinch, but I tend to bring the Wii U Gamepad stand with me; it's small and light enough to justify it (clarification: not the charging one, the smaller black plastic one purely for holding it up). :P

The angle's not adjustable, but it gives a nice angle anyway.

Last edited by daxtsu, Mar 13, 2017
    Baoulettes likes this.
  5. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Print a 3d stand.
    The kick stand doesnt really work the angle is bad

6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Haven't had a need to play in tabletop mode yet. Ask me after the next time I take a flight for a vacation with a buddy who wants to play Mario Kart or something with me. Beyond that, I really can't imagine getting much use out of tabletop mode, handheld and console will be the way I play on the system for the vast majority of the times.

7. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Is it really that bad? Getting my Switch today and hoping it's decent.

8. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Its fine enough, as long as its on a sturdy surface and you don't knock into it, it will serve you just fine. A complaint is that you can't charge the system while using the kickstand due to the port being on the bottom. Docks can fix this problem, but then you're no longer even using the kickstand.

9. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    FL
    It's fine. Just another thing people want to complain about with a new system.

Is it perfect? No, but it does it's job for what it's supposed to do. Sit on a tabletop. Not a bed, not your stomach, not a pillow.

vinipeix and Millsy like this.
  10. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    well i haven't kicked it yet

11. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2015
    I find it pretty bad all things considered, for an expensive console the kick stand is pretty weak, that's just what I think

12. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    That stand is really shitty, thats why I bought another one from Hori. This one also have 3 angles to use.

Pip'

13. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.
    It's just barely enough and that's okay. I've heard it works great on a plane by various people on reddit, and being on a plane the turbulance doesn't seem like it'll be enough to knock the system down. If you want it on a couch just put a book there or something.
    Put it on a flat surface a bit carefully and it will never fall down, I don't see the problem unless you're CNET.

14. Rudy69

Rudy69 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2006
    Canada
    It works.

I used it this weekend to play Bomberman with someone else while the TV where my dock is plugged in was in use.

15. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    Honestly, I think the part 3 stands are better.

oh wait wrong thread

16. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I've used it several times no issue. Unless you have some really bad turbulence I don't see why it wouldn't work. The kickstand does have a bit of rubber on it to help grip. Though I personally bought the hori compact playstand for use on long trips.

17. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I bought two cases for my switch. The hybrid cover by PowerA for at home, and a standard hard case for going out. Most places you would go out to will have a hard flat surface like a table to use for the standard switch stand.

18. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo could have easily solved this by having the kickstand on the "top" and then rotating the screen. That way the switch could be charged while in kickstand mode.

19. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    I don't get why they keep putting charging ports and headphone ports on the bottom. Am i the only one who likes resting my handhelds against my stomach? It's always annoyed me with my 3DS. couldn't play with headphones comfortably in bed.

Haloman800 likes this.
  20. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Be Courageous and go wireless, it's 2017 everything has Bluetooth these days. Oh, wait....