How Ubisoft can "save" Assassin's Creed

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First of all, my opinion on the franchise: It's dead. Ubisoft doesn't care about the franchise like they used to. Before, even when the games would sell, they still put care into it, made it fun, told a great story. AC3 took everything wrong with the franchise and multiplied it. Dull AI, very repetitive missions, pointless additions (frontier), incredibly broken missions (like the ending one), crap story that threw out the original story, boring characters, buggy/broken as hell.

And for AC4:

They say that without "next-gen" they couldn't do this. But games like the Last of Us, still has more life to it. Grass moves when you rustle in it. The lighting is phenomenal. And overall, the game still looks very static and dull.
So as a long time AC fan, with the franchise going downhill ever since Patrice left the studio, how can Ubisoft change things up and save the franchise?

Gameplay:
this is an easy fix. AC is notorious for having crap combat mechanics. Everything is counter and you win. Make it so you can't counter everything. Make it so enemies don't have just one or two fighting animations and you get easy kills.

Design it so there's a bunch of random generated animations so it prevents you knowing when to exactly counter. Fix it so when you're fighting one or two enemies, the rest don't just stand around, they actually interfere so fights aren't as easy. This is an Assassin. They're supposed to kill only when they need to.

Stealth:
one of my biggest complaints about the recent titles, is that stealth has taken a backseat. If enemies see you? So what, just kill them, problem solved. Design it so they come after you, so they call for backup via blowing a whistle/horn/yelling. This prevents you from entering a danger area, being spotted, killing the guy, and all is dandy.

Another thing they need to do, is make it so when you go into a town, you need to find shops where you can buy clothes that matches the towns clothes and their colors. That way you aren't just wearing your Assassin clothes all the time. And if you are, give the player the option to take the hood off which will relieve suspicion of your character.

Add RPG-ish elements:
This I think could completely reboot the series. In all the AC games, because of the counter mechanic which breaks the combat, you don't need to worry about armor at all. For the franchise, I think Ubisoft should make it so if you buy strong armor, you move slower, arouse more suspicion to your character, but you can take a beating.

If you decrease your armor, you move faster, more unnoticeable (especially involving buying clothes like in my previous point), but if you get into a fight with too many guys, you take a lot more damage, thus forcing you to run away and lose them.

Weapons:
It's no secret that most of the weapons in the franchise are useless. You could easily finish all the fights with just your hidden blades. They should make it that you need to repair your items. For example, if I use my hidden blades all the time, it makes no sense that they can deflect swords and not take damage. Design it so that when they become dull, or just break entirely, I have to go repair them at a shop. But don't make it so it's instant. Make it so I have to work with other weapons in the mean time. Perhaps add a real-time mechanic to repairing?

tl;dr AC is crap now.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
I actually read it but I am not sure I agree with all of your points. Some yes but not all of them.
Personally, i would be happy if they just took AC3, add in characters and a story similar to AC2, that means interesting ones and add in the upgrade shop system from Brotherhood along th borgia towers and the assassins guild and i'd be happy. I don't care about upgrading the combat or those things, really...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks more refined than AC 3. That's not to say it wasn't a good game, but it definitely could have used some fine tuning. I'll read up on the reviews and give the game a whirl. If there's any franchise that needs resuscitation, it's Splinter Cell. Hopefully Blacklist is the game that does it; Conviction was not a Splinter Cell game.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree with the armor and repairing items. It would make it a lot like oblivion, which I hate compared to Skyrim.
Also, I hate ship battles. Please make the actual maneuvering automatic, Ubi.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree with the armor and repairing items. It would make it a lot like oblivion, which I hate compared to Skyrim.

This, the ship battles were a drag in AC 3, maneuvering should be automatic. It would be easier to actually attack enemy ships.

lukinoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They should get Patrice Désilets back. Before he got fired, the series were great because he knew how to make them.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
I liked the ship combat BUT I hope that in AC4 its still more on land than on sea. I liked it in AC3 because it was OPTIONAL most of the time and I could tackle it whenever I want - I dont want to be forced into the sea all the time. But the statement Ubisoft made that 40% is on the seas has me a little worried. Oh well, there are quick travel spots in the game so once I synchronized all viewing spots (love that) i can use that to travel^^

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe a game that's like the Spider-Man Noir levels in Shattered Dimensions? The stealth was so good in there and if you veered into the light, they would shoot you. Obviously Ezio doesn't crawl on walls, but let him blend into his environment and be able to take out enemies from a distance. I would love to see this with the WiiU Gamepad; it gives me jitters just thinking about the stealth play that could be programmed with that tablet. OMG... okay, I'm good. :)
Based on that trailer the game looks pretty fun to me. I'd play it.

(I've been meaning to say this for a while. I love your signature. It was horrible when it was first written, but now it's just funny.) Yeah, that does look cool.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried to force myself to play Assassins creed on multiple occasions and I never could. I think the series is just fucking terrible. One was shit, I got two for free with the games with gold on Xbox and deleted it because it was shit, I tried revelations,l and brotherhood, they were shit.
The story is irritating, the gameplay is lackluster and just not fun, and I just do NOT like the series.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks more refined than AC 3. That's not to say it wasn't a good game, but it definitely could have used some fine tuning. I'll read up on the reviews and give the game a whirl. If there's any franchise that needs resuscitation, it's Splinter Cell. Hopefully Blacklist is the game that does it; Conviction was not a Splinter Cell game.

Once they made the decision to dump Michael Ironside and bring in some thirty-year-old guy to voice Sam Fisher, I decided I was done with Splinter Cell. Fisher's supposed to an old man at this point, and instead he's younger than ever. The least they could have done, if they wanted to move on from Ironside, is move on from Fisher and bring in a new character to replace him.

I think the only thing that could get me back into Splinter Cell is if they threw out Blacklist and Conviction and started over from the end of Double Agent. Obviously they'd have to go back to stealth gameplay and dump the mark-and-execute and all that action nonsense. Bring back Michael Ironside and have a proper conclusion to Sam's saga. Barring all that, I think I'm done with the franchise, which is a shame, because the first four (well, five if you count Double Agent as two different games) were great.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This, the ship battles were a drag in AC 3, maneuvering should be automatic. It would be easier to actually attack enemy ships.

The ship battles was the only fun thing in AC3. If there were more ship missions that would be fantastic. I loved it.
They should get Patrice Désilets back. Before he got fired, the series were great because he knew how to make them.
For some reason, Ubisoft has a stick up their ass when it comes to him. Which is why he's taking them to court.

I don't mean Oblivion wise, where you have a weight limit and if you have more you can't move at all. I mean that adding that bit of customization will allowed for different types of gameplay. You can have the tanks, you can have the quick players. Because the way it is right now, it's broken. A deep level of customization could totally make things feel and work great.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess to be fair i've never actually played AC3 (or anything past 2 really) so I have no idea if the series has fallen flat or not.
I'd prefer covering my ears and pretending it didn't.

Short version:

AC2: Totally amazing story.
AC:Brotherhood: Expanded on the story
AC:R: Nothing new, Ezio just says "eh, it's not up to me"
AC3: Threw everything of the story right out the window. If people thought the ending of Mass Effect 3 was bad, AC3 was just a joke.

And the gameplay went way down hill. Some of my favorite things was exploring the city in AC2 finding feathers, getting all the viewpoints first. In AC3, even if you get viewpoints, they dont do anything because the map is garbage. AC3 is more like AC1.

D

Deleted_171835

Watch_Dogs is the new modern Assassin's Creed anyways. Once they kill the AC franchise by milking it so much, they'll move on to annualizing Watch_Dogs.

They say that without "next-gen" they couldn't do this. But games like the Last of Us, still has more life to it. Grass moves when you rustle in it. The lighting is phenomenal. And overall, the game still looks very static and dull.
Consider it's coming to the PS3/360/WiiU, they clearly don't need next-gen to do that.

Reactions: EzekielRage

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.