OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
the topic says it all.
I found an VPN account and wanted to use it at a library to surf the web, and I wondered, for a very delicate moment, that are local admins able to trace what I'm sending and recieving like web site addresses and requested files?

I know there are some programs that you run on your computer that code your HTTP requests but they are so slow and are mostly filtered, I wondered if this one is the same in coding.

tnx.

EDIT
I've read that these can encrypt messages too but how can I be sure that this VPN is secure enough, is there some kind of site to test it?

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A VPN "account" does you no good unless you are using some type of VPN client. Most likely not available on any old library computer. As far as admins being able to see what you're doing, it all depends on the VPN. One that is just joining a vlan or something will still be open, but if your traffic is encrypted, typically IPsec, SSL/TLS, or L2TP or something, you're safe.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
damn, I didnt provide a key essential info, I'm using my own laptop computer there.

Whenever I connect to the VPN, in itrs properties window, it says that it has encrpytion of MPPE 128, is it safe enough?

other info's in that window are:

Authentication = MS CHAP V2
Transports = TCP/IP
Device Type = VPN
Device Name = WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Compression = (none)
PPP Multitasking framing = off
server IP address = 192.168.0.1
Client IP address = 192.168.0.13

thnx.

My main concern is security there since I dont want to get kicked out of that library, If you think its safe enough, I'll use it, if not, please tell me.

Are admins able to see that I'm connecting somewhere else and suspect about my machine?

p.s. nice to see you FAST again! I missed you man!

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If they've got a firewall installed, monitoring all outgoing connections then they will be able to see that you have got a VPN connection and where it is too, but that's about it. If you have access to the VPN server you could change the port it uses to one used by some other service (such as 80, 25, 443, 21 or 23), which should trick basic firewalls (and network admins
wink.gif
) into thinking you are just using a standard service, although a more advanced firewall that's monitoring the packets might still pick up on what it is.

TBH, if you can establish a connection to the VPN server without a problem, then use it. If the admins were really that bothered about people using VPN connections they would block the ports.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thanks mate,
I'm not bothering if they block my VPN access from there or not, I'm afraid that they get suspecious about that I'm transfering big amounts of bandwidth (since I'm gonna download game trailers from there) and they find out my local IP address and my machine there.

Thats possible, right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming you do not have to login to use their network and are concerned then I would change the mac address of the PC (the ip address I assume is assigned every time you join):
http://www.tech-faq.com/change-mac-address.shtml

As for the encryption:
http://www.schneier.com/paper-pptpv2.html
Not brilliant but it would take some serious effort to work around (and the port switching thing earlier is normally enough).

Good to see you back as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.