How To Win At Shark Tank

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not his fault that the "Sharks" would like to stay in the Stone Age forever - the facts are that eventually implants like these will enter our daily lives and enhance, or even add additional senses - there's no reason not to.

What I like about the project:
  • The speaker/microphone is concealed at all times.
  • It's (obviously) handsfree, allowing you to do whatever tasks you need to while using it.
  • The possibility of dislodging the set is practically zero - it's embedded in your skull, can't go wrong with that.
What I don't like about the project and how I would improve it:
  • The charging needle. Damn, that charging needle - too much can go wrong with that and we already have the technology for recharging batteries without even touching them - induction, anyone? All you'd have to do to "recharge" would be wearing a little earpiece through the night and that's that - nothing inserted into your ear at all.
  • Blockage. If that implant was supposed to reside inside the ear at all times, it would, to an extent, limit your hearing when it comes to the environment. To prevent that, the microphone would have to pick up and relay environmental sounds even in idle mode, which could take a toll on the battery. That, or the implant should actually be inserted into the jawbone rather than the side of your head - that way, the ear channel is open and you can still make your way to the ear... but that's a matter of R&D.
All in all, I don't think this idea is stupid - it's simply ahead of its time. Let's face it - bluetooth earpieces do have all the disadvantages this guy mentioned and this sort of thing doesfix a lot of them. Think of the possibilities - if you went for a stereo model in both ears, that could be the last set of earphones you'd ever buy! Wanna listen to music without anyone ever noticing? Go on ahead! Wanna check out your friend's playlist? Sync up and browse right away! With a little research, you could even add a dedicated GUI to the set - let's say it'd be in form of a wristwatch with a touchscreen that would allow you to manage syncing options. Don't want that? Why not add a voice-controlled UI into the earpiece itself? Simple control words like "Pick up" or "News please" would do the trick! The possibilities are through the roof.

Is the idea freaky? Yes, it is - can't deny that. Is it ahead of its time? It is, sure... but without researching the field of electronic implants, it will always be ahead of its time - we should invest in this field and we should research it.

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I thought of this when I heard his pitch.

Futurama-eyephone_1.jpg

Reactions: Foxi4 and Gahars

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi: Once again you've summed up my concerns before I could even begin to express them. Why on earth in this day and age would we require a physical connection for recharging, or a physical obstruction when sound conduction in the skull can be done so easily.
I think he would have had a better shot if he threw in the buzzword "bionic" and gave it other capabilities, such as selective amplification of sounds like speech or music for the hearing impaired.
There's already talk of implanting phone circuitry in one's hand. This is one of the next logical steps.

Though I must admit I sure as shit wouldn't get one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning