How to verify if an app / apk is safe (permisison stuff) ?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Rick Astley, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Rick Astley
    OP

Rick Astley The real one !

Apr 1, 2015
    Hi !

Today i've discovered a game that is not that known, but recent and already many people are playing (100k+ of download on the google play).

Because of being somewhat crazy, i wanted to check the permissions of the app and i've to admit that I don't really want to play the game anymore. For exemple the application ask to have the permission to download stuff without telling the user.

I know there's safe apps with this kind of permissions, but i'm not that sure. I've tried to delete some permissions with APK Permission Remover, but after I remove almost everything and of course the game doesn't want to work.

I really would like to try the game but I'm really fearing the dark side of this application, even if maybe it's really safe.

Any solution in order to double check ?

Thanks !

2. SmellyPirateMonkey

SmellyPirateMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Sep 18, 2015
    United States
    Is it an offline game? If so let it download any data it needs to become playable. Then try blocking data for the app with a firewall.

I also try App Cloner and remove 1 permission at a time and see what I can get away with.

Edit - Also I find the eset and malwarebytes tell me when I install an app that's potentially unwanted

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Last edited by SmellyPirateMonkey, Sep 22, 2016
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Install a anti virus on your android, i use avast but there is others like avg and such. :)

4. Rick Astley
    OP

Rick Astley The real one !

Apr 1, 2015
    OMG I forgot the app OTL It's Game of Monsters : Legendary (or Pokeland) and aviable in both appstore / google play

Thanks both ! I always had a bad thought about antivirus for Android (saw many reports a long time ago that they were useless) I don't use any in real time antivirus on my computers (4 PC, 0 virus in 10 years and using malwarebytes + adwcleaner + virustotal when i'm not sure of A special file) but maybe here it's the only solution

+ Yep I can understand that downloading stuff is logic but without any notification for the user ? Weird.

Thanks o/