How to use the Gateway blue card to play DS games?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by fuctfuct, May 22, 2015.

1. fuctfuct
    OP

fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

May 8, 2006
    Canada
    B.C. Canada
    I have a 2DS running FW 6.0. I just booted Gateway to test it worked. I backed up my NAND as well. Everything went great so i ordered a Gateway card. Couple questions. Please excuse my Noobness, i am still fairly confused.

What is the best way and/or firmware to play normal DS games with the blue card?

Can you use the same SD card for both the red and the blue cards? I read you could randomly on some post here. Just want to make sure. I only have one 32 GB card. Somebody was saying, in the thread i can no longer find, that they put everything (DS and 3DS ROMS) on the one card and just move it back and forth. Is this possible, or is it better to have 2?

I read that you have to install an exploit again every time you go into DS mode. Which seems odd because i didn't have to install any exploit to get int Gateway mode when i just tried. The posts where kind of old. Is this still the case?

Margen67 likes this.
  2. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

3. fuctfuct
    OP

fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

May 8, 2006
    Canada
    B.C. Canada
    Very helpful, thanks. :wacko:

Margen67 and TidusWulf like this.
  4. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    If you use the browser to launch the exploit (the only option at the moment for 2DS), you don't need to install the MSET exploit at all.
    Anyway, it is better to use two microSD cards, as you may get a "Fragmentation error" on the red card if you change the ROMs in your microSD.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. fuctfuct
    OP

fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

May 8, 2006
    Canada
    B.C. Canada
    Alright. I found an older 8gb class 4 to use. Whats the best firmware to use on the card.

6. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    The latest version (inside the "Blue Card (R4i)" folder) should work fine ;)
    Also, since you are on FW 6.0, you may need to install the "Blue Card Fix" (also included).

Margen67 likes this.
  7. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    You can also use the ace3ds kernel, it's the same.

8. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    I have both cards (Ace3DS Plus and GW Blue card) and tried to swap the kernels. It didn't work.

Margen67 likes this.
  9. fuctfuct
    OP

fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

May 8, 2006
    Canada
    B.C. Canada
    Ace3DS plus or Ace3DS wood.. What's the difference?

Margen67 likes this.
  10. fuctfuct
    OP

fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

May 8, 2006
    Canada
    B.C. Canada
    :/

11. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Ace3dsplus, it's the only one available in the download section anyway.

12. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    But anyway the differences are trivial, all DS games should work fine with either kernel.

Margen67 likes this.
  13. fuctfuct
    OP

fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

May 8, 2006
    Canada
    B.C. Canada
    I found both.. Does it really only use clean no-intro roms? cant run undubs? Trimmed?

Margen67 likes this.
  14. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    I haven't tried yet, however, to play a translated ROM on my Ace3DS+ I used endrypts and it worked fine. Trimmed ROMs worked as well.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. fuctfuct
    OP

fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

May 8, 2006
    Canada
    B.C. Canada

Margen67 likes this.
  16. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    The firmware provided should be fine for playing DS roms, though I've seen posts before about newer firmwares available. For using the card itself, you may need to install bluecardfix.cia/FlashCardTimeWarp.cia to your sysNand to enable the card itself, I'm not certain what versions block it on the 2DS.

While you can use the same SD card for both, you're more likely to run into problems with file fragmentation. The Gateway card requires .3ds files to be contiguous (or at least mostly contiguous, I believe there is some fragmentation allowed, but only a certain amount). The smaller files for the DS flash card being written, deleted, and such will cause fragmentation of empty space, leading to fragmentation of files when they're written. It's best to have two separate cards because of this.

The NVRAM Profile often gets cleared/truncated/something when running DS mode software (DS flash cards, retail DS games, DSiWare, etc) and must be reinstalled, but sometimes it doesn't. There's a thread about getting it to stick ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-does-the-ds-exploit-get-wiped-for-you-poll.387762/ ), but I believe at this time it's unknown what causes it to stick for some and not for others. My personal theory is that it seems to be related to the length of your username, but I have done absolutely zero testing on the matter. Though, thinking about it further, I didn't think there was a way to use the NVRAM Profile exploit on a 2DS yet. GW_INSTALLER isn't part of the browser exploit or the Cubic Ninja/Zelda exploit, and doesn't need to be installed to use either of those.

I'm not certain, but I think the information about this might be related to the Sky3DS. I believe that can only play properly signed .3ds roms, and thus nothing that's been altered (intros, undubs, trims, etc). I haven't looked into the DS cards you've mentioned, but I haven't heard of any restrictions like that on DS cards before.

I hope this helps answer some questions.

17. fuctfuct
    OP

fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

May 8, 2006
    Canada
    B.C. Canada
  18. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Better to use two different cards. The red card works better with FATX formatted cards (no need to split large ROMs & they load slightly faster according to the GW site) but the blue card doesn't work with FATX.

Margen67 likes this.