How to use save data from one WFS ext hdd on another Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by Extremewaffles, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Extremewaffles
    OP

Extremewaffles Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United States
    Hi yall,

The skinny:
    WFS ext hdd on Wii U#1 with all game backups and save files
    Wii U#1 hdmi port went bad, gamepad randomly stopped 2 buttons from working
    Exchanged at Game Stop (i know)
    Wii U#2 cannot read the WFS ext hdd

How to get Wii U#2 to read the data or get at least the save files off?

Searched around quite a bit on this one and learned a few things along the way (most importantly that a WFS formatted hdd is linked to only the console that did the formatting) but so far have not been able to find any real help for my specific issue. I do not mind reformatting the disk and starting over but have the same sappy story of the hours spent and now are likely lost.

Just FYI in advance, I connect the hdd and power the console up but nothing. Not the pop up to format but I can clearly see the unit recognizes the hdd because if I attempt a reformat it will go all the way to the end to the red reformat button. Surely there is a way at this point to just snag those pesky save files (I really only care about the BOTW one), reformat the disk on current console, and put them back on hdd in the right location? Or else surely someone has wanted to use the same hdd from one console on another? What are the tricks here to do that?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Extremewaffles
    OP

Extremewaffles Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United States
    @Cyan Read these forums for a while and you seem legit. Heard of anyone trying to do this or know anything I can look into and try myself? I know EyeKey is decently deep into MFS systems. Really appreciate any knowledge or experience here

3. Extremewaffles
    OP

Extremewaffles Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2018
    United States
    FYI

Cyan
    if you never dumped your console's private information, EyeKey's tool is useless to you, and you can just delete your drive's content. it's useless and you can't extract any content from it.