How to use my WII play the "mkv" format movie ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by supermoviefan, Jul 10, 2010.

1. supermoviefan
    OP

Newcomer supermoviefan Newbie

United States
    I'm a movie super fan.but in summer my old PC often reports errors even when i watching movies...
    so it will be nice if i can use my wii to play the movies that i download from internet. these movies are not "full hd",they are usually about 2GB if the movie length about 2 hours.
    please tell me wich witch software i can do this, appreciate!!

2. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
  3. Blastoise

Member Blastoise GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I got WiiMC last night and its in my own personal experience a lot better than MPlayer. I find MPlayer is a bit glitchy but WiiMC has a nice interface and plays nearly every format.

4. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Wiimc has trouble picking up USB

5. supermoviefan
    OP

Newcomer supermoviefan Newbie

United States
    thank you all very much.i tested WIIMC,i found it's a really nice player,it can play the "mkv" format movie that i put in the SD card,but the movie played a little slow, and i didnt find the function that load movies from the USB device.if WIIMC fix these 2 problems ,it will be the perfect media player on wii.

6. bosman

Member bosman GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The Wii doesn't have the CPU to play 720p MKV's.... It will never be able to do it.

7. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    "MKV" is just a container, just like a zip file. The problem is H264 codec mostly used in MKV. 720p DIVX plays just fine. But since it's useless, I re-encode them myself to H263 480p and they play just freakingly fine.

Pip'

8. oliverbomb

Member oliverbomb GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Where do you encode it with? I need this too =/ Been using SUPER... but eh.. I'm not so good at setting the settings and keeps failing -.-

9. luckwii

Member luckwii GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Have you tried using VLC media player on the PC? It is a free software, and runs almost anything. It has a lot of options in the settings too. I know you are trying to get movies working on the Wii, but maybe this will help you for the ones that won't work on the Wii.

10. ?EYEHATE?

Banned ?EYEHATE? Banned

United States
    youre an idiot, i play them all the time. Go troll elsewhere. Alo wiimc is very buggy, and is picky about resolutions. It pisses me off to the point where i always go back to mplayer ce.

11. bosman

Member bosman GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm clapping my hands for, you dumb S.O.B. You must be very proud of yourself.

12. oliverbomb

Netherlands
    I'm still wondering about where to encode with, and which settings to make it Wii Comptibale.

I don't need HD-Content... I just want to watch it on my 32 inch TV.... with a Wii....
    I don't want to buy a HD player / thing for that, just need to convert MKV to AVI / 700 x 400? resolution?
    When I do this, SUPER (converter) makes the subtitles fall off [​IMG] / It cuts the lower screen [​IMG]

Anyone got suggestions =/ darn I was hoping someone would have answered instead of arguing about being idiots, and stuff,
    and that guy obviously doesn't get it. 720P avi files play FINE. 1080p AVI / MKV does NOT Play. 720p MKV does niet play..... 400P AVI does NOT play.
    etc.

MKV is a bug of WiiMc.

13. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    So you dont mind watching movies in slow motion then?

14. oliverbomb

Netherlands
    He probally doesn't care, anybody read this:

I'm still wondering about where to encode with, and which settings to make it Wii Comptibale.

I don't need HD-Content... I just want to watch it on my 32 inch TV.... with a Wii....
    I don't want to buy a HD player / thing for that, just need to convert MKV to AVI / 700 x 400? resolution?
    When I do this, SUPER (converter) makes the subtitles fall off frown.gif / It cuts the lower screen frown.gif

Anyone got suggestions =/ darn I was hoping someone would have answered instead of arguing about being idiots, and stuff,
    and that guy obviously doesn't get it. 720P avi files play FINE. 1080p AVI / MKV does NOT Play. 720p MKV does niet play..... 400P AVI does NOT play.
    etc.

MKV is a bug of WiiMc.

15. oliverbomb

Netherlands
  16. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Don't bump, thank you.

Now, no idea if this helps, but the latest WiiMC plays my 720p .MKV-File, though, in Slow-Motion. You can update your WiiMC, and try again.

If this won't help, I dunno about the Converter, sorry.

17. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    I use AVS video converter.

Pip'

18. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    AVIdemux is free and support mvk and avi also there a technique with VLC media player with reencodin (supports all vlc format) that very few people know.(but its a bit complicated to explain i can if someone want)

19. yatesl

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've found GeeXboX to be the best media player, if you don't mind the lack of intuitive controls.