Emulation How To Use Goomba Color on EZ Flash IV using Gameboy Advance SP? (Need a Good Tutorial)

• Thread starter scottg1234
  • Start date
  • Views 50,026
  • Replies 19
S

scottg1234

Hi all!

I got my EZ Flash IV all set up for my GBA. Everything is working fine.

But I want to play old Gameboy and Gameboy color games. I heard Goomba Color is the best tool to use, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to use it with my EZ Flash IV. And on top of that, I cannot even find a good tutorial. I thought I might have overlooked the Goomba Color website. I checked again. I still could not find it. I found a tutorial on YouTube, but it is in Spanish and the video is extremely blurry.

Does any know a good tutorial on how to use to Use Goomba Color on EZ Flash IV using Gameboy Advance SP?

If not, and if it does not take much of your time, can anyone tell me how to use it?

I thought this was the most appropriate section to post this thread in, if not, let me know which is best.

macmanhigh

THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Budd whut u gotta do is add all ur gameboy/color roms into the Goomba Color folder......ur basically gonna create a .gba game file outta the roms

Run the .bat file and u should get something like "GBC.gba" if I'm not mistaken

Then just load .gba from ur list of games a menu should come up with the titles u inserted.....then I believe L+R button brings up Menu

;)

S

scottg1234

Hey Budd whut u gotta do is add all ur gameboy/color roms into the Goomba Color folder......ur basically gonna create a .gba game file outta the roms

Run the .bat file and u should get something like "GBC.gba" if I'm not mistaken

Then just load .gba from ur list of games a menu should come up with the titles u inserted.....then I believe L+R button brings up Menu

;)
Thanks for the info. I feel that I got closer, but I still cannot get it. I'm getting no output. Tried different things.

Here is a photo of how the menu looks like.

Attachments

• sadfasdfsda.PNG
    sadfasdfsda.PNG
    27.4 KB · Views: 6,974
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the info. I feel that I got closer, but I still cannot get it. I'm getting no output. Tried different things.

Here is a photo of how the menu looks like.

Select each ROM in the left box and press the 'Add->' button, then press 'Compile'.

Did any of those games have a RTC? If so you're likely going to want a patched version of the ROM or some time based events may not work.

EDIT: It's best to use the patched version of the emulator from here: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12660
The download (http://www.kuwanger.net/exit_patched_5-23-08.zip) includes the other common emulators for GBA also.

To use it:
  • Replace the goomba.gba in the 'goomba' folder on your desktop with the one from the download
  • Run the app to generate your output .gba file (eg dafdasf.gba as in your screenshot)
  • Rename goomba.sav (from the download) to the name of your output gba file, eg dafdasf.sav
  • Copy the .sav file to X:\saver on your miniSD and the .gba file to wherever you want on the miniSD.

S

scottg1234

tried it just like that, but no output. going to try to patched version now.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
tried it just like that, but no output. going to try to patched version now.
Are you clicking the 'Add->' button to add the ROMs to the output? They have to be listed in the right hand box, you screenshot shows they havnt been added (the ROM names are only listed in the left box).

S

scottg1234

Are you clicking the 'Add->' button to add the ROMs to the output? They have to be listed in the right hand box, you screenshot shows they havnt been added (the ROM names are only listed in the left box).
Yea I had the roms on the right side, gave them new headers too. clicked compile. I get the success message. but i have no clue where the output went or if there was actually any output.

Nusdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I converted Pokemon Yellow version into .gba file, and the whole image is all yellow when playing on the VBA? The game is playing but there's no color at all, it's just transparent yellow. Is this normal?

I wanted to test it out if it works on the VBA before transferring it over into my EZ Flash IV.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yea I had the roms on the right side, gave them new headers too. clicked compile. I get the success message. but i have no clue where the output went or if there was actually any output.

The output is located/named as set in the second box from the top on the left, in your screenshot its a file named dafdasf.gba located on your desktop.
It's really very straightforward, just follow each step in the guide another world posted (step 2 in this case).

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is in the ampersand (&) in the folder path. The Goomba Frontend doesn't like special characters in the filenames, which has caused problems for Pokemon games if the e is accented. Try doing everything in a folder directly off of C:\ instead.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is in the ampersand (&) in the folder path. The Goomba Frontend doesn't like special characters in the filenames, which has caused problems for Pokemon games if the e is accented. Try doing everything in a folder directly off of C:\ instead.

That sounded like such a likely cause I tested it, works fine for me with an & in path.
http://imgur.com/kl85zVJ

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well either way, you could also just open a command window and type:
Code:
copy /b goomba.gba + GAME1.gb + GAME2.gbc + ... + GAME99.gb output.gba
That's for Windows but you get the idea. Literally concatenate the games onto the end of the Goomba.gba file and it'll work.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I had the same exact problem as OP yesterday. You see, I always used Goomba Color, but then I found out Goomba can scale the window and draw outside bondaries on old GB games, so I wanted to try that, but Goomba wouldn't compile... Turns out it was a broblem with Goombafront. The one I got from the old goomba site wasn't saving any output. Literally.

So I recommend you to get the emulator files for your EZIV down here (click on "updated collection"). Use Goomba Color, not Goomba, as Goomba will only run Old GB games, and Goomba Color will run both GB/GBC, as well as colorizing GB games like a GBC would.
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12660

I converted Pokemon Yellow version into .gba file, and the whole image is all yellow when playing on the VBA? The game is playing but there's no color at all, it's just transparent yellow. Is this normal?
I wanted to test it out if it works on the VBA before transferring it over into my EZ Flash IV.
This, for example, is because you're running it on "Goomba" instead of using Goomba Color.

And get Goomba front from the Version 3-31-2008 package down here. Just get the Front, and delete the rest, as you're gonna use the Goomba Color emulator file from the fisrt link.
http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php

Compile you roms, and DON'T USE the EZ Flash tool to send them to your SD card. Just literally copy and paste it there. You see, the emulator comes with a .sav file, so you put your compiled emulator in there with that .sav file on the EZIV save folder. If you use the Ez flash tool, it won't work. These are exit patched so you can exit directly to the menu and back up your saves without needing to turn the GBA on and Off.

That should do.

Reactions: macmanhigh
S

scottg1234

Thanks guys, going to try these methods out once I get in the mood again to play a GB/GBC game again. :)

albertar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do i put in the "select output file" of the Goomba Front? Do i just select any random gba rom?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what do i put in the "select output file" of the Goomba Front? Do i just select any random gba rom?
sorry i'm retarded. I thought i had to specifically choose a file. I figured it out. thanks

aquatan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry I'm new here, I just made an account to ask the same thing, I'm still having issues with this myself, I'm using the goomba thing too but when I try to open the games on my ds lite its not working. I added the games and complied them and from what I understand it saves into a list then u pick on the list which to play? I tried doing the separately too but still didn't run. I'm getting some error psram something or other. I'm also using the EZ Flash IV and I think the issue (or part of it) is when it asks what emulator I downloaded virtualboy something but I'm not using it and cant find the one that's actually on my microsd.

caileb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

sorry i'm retarded. I thought i had to specifically choose a file. I figured it out. thanks
LMAO I AM RETARDED AND CANT FIGURE OUT THE OUTPUT FILE SITUATION!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool