Homebrew How to use Cheats with GBA Virtual Console

Did this work for you?

• Total voters

JoshuaEvans

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried using the cheats file from the list for Pokémon Ruby (US Version) and when I load up the game it doesn't load plus its missing the master code which even when imputed has no effect pls help

diminas

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there!
Thanks for the guide, even if its a little bit outdated, I was able to follow the basic steps.
I was able to create working CIA files with trainer menu out of my gba files, even if my cheats arent shown in the trainer menu.

I think my issue with the cheats doesnt show up is that these I want to use are in GS3 format.

eg for the german version of FireRed
[Infinite EXP (L+R)]
B6C5368A 08BE8FF4
0035CAF3 3A7C94EA

Is there any method to convert such Code to the needed format (Codebreaker)?
And is the above type of listing right or should it better be like ?
Infinite EXP (L+R):
B6C5368A 08BE8FF4
0035CAF3 3A7C94EA

Pkm collector1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for some codes is you cannot do it since most code decrytor will convert it but when u add the codes the gbaatm will for some reasom crash

ghean001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Part 4, Restoring your saves (only if you did Part 1):
1. Launch the GBA VC on your 3DS that has the save you want to restore.
2. Reboot, and open GodMode9
3. Find the gbavc.sav for your game
4. Go back, and open SYSNAND VIRTUAL (drive S: )
5. Paste your save in there
6. Enter the key combo when prompted
7. Reboot, and repeat for all the games that have saves you want to restore

Now, when you open your games, you will be greeted with a cheat menu. Here are the controls for the menu:
Press A on a cheat to enable it (you can tell because there is a letter beside the name, and it will change from N to Y when enabled)
Press B on a cheat to disable it (you can tell because the Y will change to N when disabled)
Press Up or Down to navigate the menu
Press Start to start the game

Notice: You may notice a few graphical glitches when cheats are enabled (mostly in cut scenes, such as the intro to Pokemon Fire Red), these are temporary and do not mean that there's something wrong with the game. The only time I would be concerned is if your game was acting up all the time and was unplayable...

Credits: Myself (for creating this tutorial), @Ray2R (for suggesting the idea), @Asdolo (for developing Ultimate GBA VC Injector), @cracker (for developing GBAATM), and @d0k3 (for developing GodMode9)

Let me know if this has worked for you, if you have problems, or if you have suggestions for this thread :)

Fun fact: The list of cheats below is actually the GBA cheat database from GBATemp before it went down, it is still the best collection of .cht files I could find :rofl2:

Edit: I am very serious when I say to ask if you're having trouble. If I didn't want to help out then I wouldn't have made this guide...
I'm trying get the firered cheats to work, stupid question - how do you activate once enabled in the start menu?

LonelyMikage

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i added a cheat for rare candies to fire red (so i dont have to spend hours grinding in my nuzlocke attempts) and it works properly on emu but when i try to use it on 3ds it just goes to a white screen after the cheat menu and makes a weird noise when i press one of the triggers

LonelyMikage

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i added a cheat for rare candies to fire red (so i dont have to spend hours grinding in my nuzlocke attempts) and it works properly on emu but when i try to use it on 3ds it just goes to a white screen after the cheat menu and makes a weird noise when i press one of the triggers
im just wondering if anyone knows what causes this

Humus569

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Yup, I solved it. Turns out I did not update my godmode9 so the option for agsb.bin is missing previously, I was mislead in assuming the format needed is different. Update godmode9 guys, then follow the guide in 3ds.hacks, it's that easy actually.

Also I wanna share my experience in using this, 3 games I've played for at least couple of hours each got their saves corrupted at the end sadly. 2 of them crashed randomly while one of them having serious slowdowns (MMBN3). Cheats had also been tested before in pc (they're okay except MMBN) and accordingly to the rules (no master code, no blank choice codes). Personally I think the best choice is to mod your saves beforehand or just apply cheats in it using your emulator then inject that saves like above. Game on a clean slate with no fear of losing your progress.
Is there any way I could make cheats for this? I'm attempting to create some for Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green, but the.cht files in this have different confusion formats lol. Is it necessary to use codebreaker codes and then convert to a specific format? I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, but I'm at a loss here.

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way I could make cheats for this? I'm attempting to create some for Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green, but the.cht files in this have different confusion formats lol. Is it necessary to use codebreaker codes and then convert to a specific format? I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out, but I'm at a loss here.
Codebreaker codes seems to work the best, but not every time. What I did is to limit the options first and trial check them one by one using pc emu after patching. The method does work albeit quite tedious.

Can't you help you much other than that though I've pretty much just followed the guide last time and didn't remember much now.

Sourenics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm looking to use this for Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, however, Checkpoint and JKSM does not show the game to make a backup of the save, and inside Sysnand Virtual there is no gba sav file, only the agbasav.bin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: