Hacking How to use cheats which require ROM modification?

Newby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi Community!
I've a question about how to use cheats.. how it is possible to use cheats which require ROM modification?
Does someone has a cht file example?
Thanks

Last edited by Newby,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could be asking two things, both quite different to the other.

1) On older consoles there was a class of device called the game genie. Unlike the action replay/codebreaker/goldfinger/gameshark/pelican/... the game genie edited the ROM the console saw and had minimal RAM editing abilities (all the others mentioned being primarily RAM editing devices). By the GBA this was not really a thing any more, though some cheat devices have the ability to do one or two very very small edits to the ROM. This is usually done to bypass any protections the ROM might have or to allow cheats to work with some non standard ROMs and are usually under the umbrella of master codes.
https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_gba.html covers what those codes look like.
You can use the info there to hardpatch the codes into the game such that you can run them on a flash cart or emulator without cheat support, or not having to worry about configuring it every time. That said you can do that with any cheat with tools like GBAATM ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbaatm-rebirth-gba-auto-trainer-maker-a-new-hope.564321/ is a more recent fork).

2) You have some kind of ROM hack and it has both a normal ROM edit component and also wants you to have some cheats. For instance I might make a level consisting of several boss characters one after the other and say use this cheat for infinite ammo so I don't have to do ammo drops in my level edit or worry about the player needing to conserve ammo.
In that case then you have the ROM patch, patch the ROM with it using whatever tools are necessary (some emulators might even do it for you), load the cheats via whatever means (emulator, flashcart, GBAATM...) and play as you will.

Newby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the quick reply it was very usefull and interesting to read!
I guess I've forgott to say that I've a ez-flash omega I thought I would be able to modify rom while using the cheat module.
For example I would need to patch something like (see image below).

If I Patch by myself and put the patched rom on ez-flash it works well but I would preffer to do that temporary by cheat module but it sounds like that this isn't possible... Am I right?

best regards

Attachments

• a53b710196058f341a740d834e325993.png
    a53b710196058f341a740d834e325993.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 52

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what the limits of the EZFlash cheat engine are for this sort of thing. Theoretically it could be effectively infinite but likely is far less than that, whether it is just the one code and whether you could switch it out* like most cheat carts I also don't know.

*could be easy enough to do a if button press but rather than say filling a life bar back up or adding 1000 experience as per most activator cheats you could write the original (or further modified) code in its place.

I would also ask what does it do and do you have a better alternative that you can do with RAM cheats? Would be less than ideal but could probably do it with a ROM hack as well that you turn off and on at will (set a small flag, copy whatever amount of data to another area of the ROM, patch the area you want patched and then have any reads to that area check the flag to see whether they should go to the original location or the duplicate in blank space.

Newby

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks - I've seen that the firmware is open source so I've implemented my own logic to patch rom while using cht file.
If someone is interested in how it works so feel free to pm me.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the EZ can use rom patch cheats, then they might be able to disable the concatenating of cheats in the files, and we could just use full addresses. Though the next question is if it can also include Slide codes, comparators, etc. Those would be nice to have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.